Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Your political symbol- my fashion style

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The fashion industry (supported by us, the people) is exploiting dress styles that were once a form of political or social protest. For example, the 60s women's business suits were more masculine because women adopted the business suit when they became more predominant in the professional field. Now, these suits have branched into flirty styles, going against the serious masculine look they originally had. Other examples would be the gangsta styles, hippie look etc. Does this feel right?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like flirty girls. They just seem like they want to have fun all the time I don't see anything wrong with that. The world will always have woman man roles because come on lets face it there are certain things men are better at and there are certain things women are better at. But, what I think is that you don't feel comfortable in a short skirt and so you assume that everyone should feel the same way. Infact you even go out of your way to criticise them because this makes you feel better about your awkwardness and insecurity. But if you are actually serious about this issue maybe it's time to lighten up a little. Go out have some fun and just chill out. Take some risks, enjoy life, even if it isn't fair.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The issue was whether it feels right to have political symbols which are usually rebellious to be turned into conformist fashion. It takes away the original meaning it once had.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
did it still have the meaning before they made it fashion? i would say not really, the whole 60's business suit bit says it all. women still wear them when they want to, and the original stricter styles are still available to those who want them, but for those who want to look smart but not "boring" then a meaningless style is available as well. someone wearing the strict masculine style suit will still be regarded as "meaning business".

on another vein apparently the whole greebo style and baggy skaters jeans are taken from a gay rights movement. so what can u say, things change but ideas that people liked are kept on. also the swastika was originally a budhist peace symbol (though i think that it was facing the other way - if that makes sense). that and gay previously meant happy, not homosexual at one point it was a womans name like joy.

meanings change, always have done always will. in this example at least, i thought the whole point was to bring the idea into mainstream society. to say that a business woman was no different to a businessman.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy