Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Career choices?

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Career choices?
Soo Next year I'm going to be a senior in high school And I really wanted to strap down on what I want to do with my life and where I want to go. Been thinking a lot lately and the more I do think about it the more I seem to lean towards Psychology and learning more about the mind. Also, trying to obtain my chiropractic and theriputical license sometime in the future. Third, I've been told I should do something with all the languages I've been learning [going on 9-12 now XD!] my fluency in each is getting much better.

But my question for you is what is a good combination that would go along with these? Should Psychology be my minor and couple it with something else? Or should it be my Major?

If you could give me some ideas That would be great ^___^

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Don't overstress the issue. You have time to choose what you want to do. And you may never be sure. My high school pricipal majored in architecture, did his masters in English, then education. He works in real estate now. Just know yourself. Know what you like more (ie working alone vs working in groups) or what interests you.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Go with the flow more...but, honestly I don't know of a job that encorporates all of your education you are planning on doing. Education is fun but unfortunately it's expensive.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If you go to a university you'll have a year or two of bullshit core classes before you even really need to decide on a major. It's a ways off, focus on finishing highschool and having craploads of fun. You can stress yourself out about it all you want, but it wont do a damn bit of good. You could be a massage therapist on a cruise ship, that'd probably utilize all those skills lol.

When you find something that you can talk about nonstop and get energized about then you should probably take some steps toward it, see if it works. You're never stuck with something.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
doing something with languages is all well and good, but there are a limit to the jobs you can do with them, or at least a limit to the well paid jobs you can do with them. some people get lucky, a friend of my parents speaks russian and works for an oil company on quite a high level, organising things between the russian and american halves of the company. other people either work as language teachers or do nothing with their languages degree but get a job due to the fact that they have a degree regardless of what degree.

psychology could be more promising in some ways on the job front.

also do you actually need a degree for chiroprachty if not then it is a way of getting a good job without having to pay through the nose to go to uni.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm pretty sure you don't need a degree but you do have to have a chiropractic license.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i know that is the case in england, i just wondered would gaining a chiropractic liscense and the necessary training be cheaper than getting a degree.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its always good to have ambitions Mugen, but don't get too concerned atm. You've got a long while. You have a few potential options appropriate for your interests.
-You could do an 'arts' degree, which allows you to study almost any subject where you could incorporate psychology and languages. The advantage of doing this, is that you don't have to know what you want to major in at first. Plus, it gives you many options after uni.
-You could do a 'liberal studies' degree which is a more 'advanced' arts degree with the addition of studying at least one language (compulsory).
-You could do an 'international studies' degree, which once again is similar.
-You could also do a double degree or a combined degree which of course usually combines two different topics into one area.
-Not sure about in the USA, but here, to become a chiropractor, I'm pretty sure you need a chiropractic degree, which takes about 4 years to complete.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
Career choices?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy