Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What's Worth Dying For? - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Isn't dying for love similar to dying for a belief/opinion?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love is an emotion, beliefs and opinions are obtained through experiences and logic. If a belief or opinion encompasses love (which in my opinion it should almost always) then they are very much connected.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mindfields19 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree with whoever suggested family, friends, and the world.

Heh. It is a weird thought, dying for the world. Years ago, I saw one of those world-destruction-caused-by-a-meteorite movies that was hyped up at the time; it feels like 8 or 9 years ago, more or less. I wasn't impressed with the movie as a whole because I was young, but I remember the scene where the astronauts draw straws to see which will sacrifice themselves in a last attempt to destroy the rock before it touches down (which would NEVER happen in reality with trained professionals). That scene moved and disturbed me at the time, and has often come back to me in hypothetical thought. Would I die to save the world? Yep.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CodeWarrior is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't know that any one can tell you with absolute certainty what they would or wouldn't do confronted with death. Yet I do believe in absolutes so in my view principals are worth dyeing for. I suppose the real question is when can I achieve more with my death than my life. If my life is to be driven by compassion then I must decide. Does my life or death do more to protect, heal and uplift people. If by living I must become a worthless wretch is living going to be of any use to me or others. And is death to be feared? If you don't believe it's the end then it's worth thinking of your actions in eternal terms. What effect with your choices have on you and others in the next world as well as the people you leave behind.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know lot's of people who can give a lofty list of things worthy of dying for but, really, nothing is worth dying for. A person may have to make a choice between death and some other outcome, but we all know that, if that ultimate choice wasn't necessary, no one says, "Let's do it!"..or..."Wow!...What a great deal!...My measley life for this?...You gotta' be kidding...What's the catch?"...The only thing people can say is that my death will be "worth more" if it happens this way, by my own choice...That's all...If we all had a choice to continue living and get the same outcome, we all would...And, true, many of us would like to get something for free...but when our life is spared, we feel a whole lot better about the deal than just getting away with a few pennies...Our life is very different than material value...It's priceless..

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that RocketTed is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The only thing worth dying for is death.

"Bad things to hear in a submarine: "Captain, the flooding put out the fire!!""
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I love how people say things that are so... defenite, while they completely think that they are right adn there is no way they are wrong. With no grace and no curtisy to those who are reading.

Please, explain to me why the only thing worth dying for is death.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I find it a little ironic that people say they would die for love yet if they did die they would be ceased of that love and abandoned of it. So they would be giving up the one thing they really care and live for. If you ask me that doesn't make sense because why would the thing that gives you purpose in life be the very thing that ends all possibility of purpose.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that RocketTed is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Remember FDR: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" Same concept.
Also If you die for love or someone else's life, how are you rewarded? Your Dead right? And besides, the person/people you save is/are going to die sooner or later.
We are all the same, we all die, we all breathe, we all drink the same water, we all inhabit the same earth.
The man with cancer in a hospital bed is the same as the man in his big house with his big car, and beautiful wife.

"Bad things to hear in a submarine: "Captain, the flooding put out the fire!!""
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Shoot me for irony, but if something was threatening someone I loved, I wouldn't hesitate to stand between the two, and if death be the price, the knowledge at least that she can live on to make other people as happy as she made me, and hopefully be happy herself while doing so, is a worthy reward I'd pay with my life to obtain.
Life is precious, but there are some things worth dying for.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 40yrs • M •
CCCP2 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
We live our lives for ourselves. eveything you ever do is for yourself, and even if you help someone it is for self gratitude. So i would mostly to avoid torture. i WOULD die for my closest friends and closest family... but only if it was not their fault about getting to the situation. My Ex though, i would die for her any day.

"Barn to kill, not to care - Metallica"
 34yrs • F •
Skater_Freak_08 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Yeah same here! I would did for some1 i love and or my pets which i love! I would also die for a friend!!!

"Skate Fast! Live Hard! Die Famous!"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
they would die for love yet if they did die they would be ceased of that love and abandoned of it.

Maybe because they don't want to live in guilt and regret watching their beloved die. Such is the nature of love, foolish at best.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 42yrs • F •
geneva_26 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Maintaining my morality. That's all.
-----------

me too!

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that neuterdbynature is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
everything and yet nothing is worth dying for. Yet I don't think I would die for anyone or anything [I care about myself a bit too much], but I would kill. This only applies to family and no one else!

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
What's Worth Dying For? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy