Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The timeless infatuation with drugs

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that mikes is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I used to enjoy smoking a dube here and there...but now i smoke practically every day. I dont know if its just because the people i chill with smoke alot or if its more just a matter of personal addiction. I know it cant be a physical addiction butt might very well be a mental one. Anyways Im just wondering if anyone has any widsom to share as to why exactly people do drugs, even though im sure there are many reasons........

"thinking about doing something is just as good as actually doing it"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mindfields19 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, you are right, drug use is a timeless activity that has been going on for a lot longer than some people choose to recognize. Modern recreational drug use, like pot, is typically an activity picked up by people looking to experiment, or have fun and "feel good," which is basically what it does. Most drugs directly affect the limbic system in the brain which controls pleasurable feelings. Once you have had a taste of this effect, you have learned how to get from point A to point B. You can now go on to ten other people and tell them about your new discovery, which gives them a sense of wonder themselves.

People may try drugs to escape a situation they are going through (i.e. depression, anxiety, stress). The problem is that you aren't escaping the situation, you are just putting a firewall in front of it for a little while. This is where addiction comes in. Depending on the person, many drugs cause a tolerance to form. Once one level has been conquered for a period of time, an immunity to that level can make the effects of the specific drug less enjoyable.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
make it sure that you don't start on hard drugs. I too used do weed, pot hash etc every now and them, now I ve quit, you learn more from life withought drugs. If you don't want to quit right now, don't make it a habit, if your freinds smoke up, there is no need for you to do so as well to feel part of the group. If they force you to smoke up, then you should probably start hanging out with better company-as is the sace with me. I still meet those freinds, and they are good freinds of mine, but if I spend lots of time with them then I unvariably end up getting high, so the best advice is get goin wid some non smokers

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've smoked a fair amount of grass in my time and have figured some things out that might be of use. Number one thing is you can't lose your ambitions. The more money you have the more weed you can smoke. Another thing I've noticed is life gets boring. Ordinary fun doesn't really seem fun anymore. The way I countered this is to enjoy life as much as when your high.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy