Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Was Jesus Black

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ITISASISEEIT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Was Jesus Black
There is no clear description in the Bible as to what Jesus looked like but there are some references.

Revelations reference "for his feet shone like Bronze"

His appearence did not stand out in Eygpt where he lived as a child

Also he had short hair. There is a reference in Paul which says it is disgraceful for a man to wear long hair.

It is also stated and refered to that he was the root and race of david who was described as Ruddy which translates as to show blood in the face and this term was only applied to white men.

So what do you think?

"Great visions often start with small dreams"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Most of the black people we see are not 100 percent black, rather they are actually brown people.

From what I have read, Jesus decended from a dark skinned tribe - so I would have to say, he was brown.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rajpal is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
jesus was regarded as a descendant of abraham. Abraham was born in "ur" one of the major cities of the ancient sumerian civilisation. It is most likely that semetic tribes originated in sumer and may in fact be descended from these people. Therfore Jesus may have looked middle eastern in appearance.

"If you know the candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
which to my mind is entirely logical, he lived in the middle east, and was of jewish descendency, so he would have been darkish skinned and haired.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282186.html

I don't believe in depictions of Jesus as a white man since it seems that each country depicted him differently to better suit themselves.

Which entertains me seeing all these things of the Virgin Mary being elizabethan white.

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 36yrs • M •
true, i've never thought of that, everyone always comments on jesus being depicted wrong, but no-one ever stops to think that every other character in the bible is wrongly depicted in most of our christian artwork.

perhaps thats why muslims dont like pictures of muhammed.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Kuja is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I do not agree with you and I am a hundred 100% sure that he was white; by no means he could have been black. First of all, he was born in Bethlehem, Palestine and you can easily check it up in any anthropology book, where you can find that most of the people of Palestine are Mediterranean Caucasians. There are even some Palestinians who are of a Nordic race, not to forget that Jesus was from Jewish origin, which means that he was mostly white, with eyes ranging from brown to blue, and with hair ranging from brown to blonde and in my opinion, this is not how black people look. Just to add to your info, there is not a single black race in Asia at all.

[  Edited by Kuja at   ]
 36yrs • M •
the suggestion that jesus was/is black is as ridiculous as the idea that he was white. no matter what the genetic origin of people in that area of the world, it would be near impossible for anyone to live there without the climate there causing them to get a fairly strong tan.

35yrs • M •
And that would copy for his eye color too? Being blue or green or even hazel? Israel's temperature ranges from 41 °F to 54 °F in winter, to 64 °F to 100 °F in summer. This is considered to be cold also the Mediterranean climate which makes the exposure to sunlight a bit limited, as a result of that it would make the possibility of being tanned small. And if you want to talk about the fact that Jesus lived most of his life in Egypt so that would make him look kind of tanned, let me tell you this I live in Egypt. I know people who have a very white skin that is even whiter than Jesus skin. And also, know this, I'm a blonde with hazel eyes and white skin and I have never been out of Egypt for once in a lifetime.

64yrs • F •
chardonnay is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I would just like to ask, David had a son with Bathsheeba named Solomon, (see Mathew 1:6 for bloodline of Jesus)

And what about the Queen of Sheeba from Ethiopia? It's stated that Solomon sired a son with her.
it just seems with all the concubines and wives, we may just not know. Another thing, Sarah could not have a child so Abraham sired a child (Ishmael) with Sarah's servant girl, Haggith, from Egypt . Them Israelites were all over the map, so maybe......

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Who was the first person who drew a picture of Jesus? Let's go ask him/her.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M •
quote:
Who was the first person who drew a picture of Jesus? Let's go ask him/her.

I was not talking about how Jesus looked exactly, I was talking about the race of Jesus from a logical point... So actually his pictures are not very important as you think. The whole point is about how he looked like in general and I think that there's a vast difference between the main human races.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it matter A LOT whether Jesus was black or not. Isn't is strange how the most popular religious figure looks just like the ideal European? White skin, light hair, tall, white robes? However, there are Middle Eastern people with such coloration, like the Lebanese. What if the most popular figure was a woman? A fat woman? A goat?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 52yrs • M •
holymagi1 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Jesus was of Jewish descent. Jews are predominantly white however, there are many Jews brought into covenant who were dark skinned. It is concievable that the Royal Davidian Line and the sect of the nazareenes to which Jesus belonged was darker skinned than thier white jewish cousines. To our eye's in northern countries even they may have appeared darker skinned than us but, pale skinned to eastern or Southern cultures. David and Solomon had herems of wives from different cultures and naturally different colors of skin as well. The whole Royal line of Isreal was considered to be bronzed by cultural diversity. They were a motley race and they still are.

Do you think that the greeks or Italians were always white skinned? In fact many of them still are not. There is much evidence that skin coloring and pigmentation has to do with extreme exposure to heat and sunlight or a lack of it. It is logical to assume that the first man and woman ever were one specific color. Hunting and cave dwelling were means of survival but, not always practiced in every culture. One culture was more prone to hunting so they would have biologicaly developed skin adaptations to thier environment hence, the many different colors. Cave dwelling peoples however, would have lacked coloring of the skin because of a lack of sun exposure and prone to pinkish white.

I don't think it is fair to the human race to assume a specific color for Jesus. If Jesus has been depicted as a white man it only shows one thing and that is that, the white man is identifying with him in an act of worship and faith. It's more likely that Jesus was darker skinned because he was constantly in the sun travelling about and so was his descendants but, still fairer skinned than the African black tribes.

I travelled to Latin America and lived there for a year. I didn't even realize when I came back that I looked like a Native American to all my white Christian friends and family. They were amazed and so was I.

Apparently the reason the Mexicans call us white folk Gringo's is because in the cowboy past every white person they encountered had green eye's. This was not the case though. Most white people have a diversity of different colored eye's from brown to black to blue to green to hazel. The problem was in the mexicans ability to see. Extreme exposure to the sun can color blind anyone temporarily or even permanently and most mexicans encountered a problem like this until housing projects and industrial revolution made an escape from the sun a reality. In thier case though it illuminated the color of light colored races from the north and everyones blue, hazel and brown eye's appeared green.

When ever they wanted a white american or brit to leave thier land they would gather in groups raise thier guns and shout "Green Go" and point north with thier guns. Every white man new they were talking about them. However, the mexicans pronounce e as an i in thier language and no matter how hard you try to teach a mexican to pronounce an e the way we do it still comes out as an i and it sounded more like this - "Grin Go - hence the word Gringo! Does every Gringo on this planet have green eye's? Is cultural diversity acceptable to God? - YES, religious sociology 101!

At first site when southern equator tribal cultures saw a white man they bowed and did obescience in some cultures because they thought they were looking at the gods. This was due to thier inability to see detail from extreme sun exposure. more southerly tribes who had been cave dweling from cold winter temperatures in certain mountain regions were not as easily fooled be the British, French or Spanish. These western Sea Faring nations took advantage of this fact for centuries and often didn't have to go to war with the tribes they intended to conquer because of this. It was nice to be revered as Gods while it lasted I'm sure. It's not modern white mans fault the sun does a good job of messing up our eye's.

That's why white people are considered to be smarter than the rest. If Jesus was white and from the north and the Romans were black and from the south they would surely have bowed down to him. That was not the case and he ended up on the cross because the Romans couldn't be fooled. "That's not God anymore than our Emporer is" meanwhile after his martydom his disciple Philip went south converted an Ethiopian King and all the ethiopians were falling down at the sight of the fair skined phillip from the north - a GODLY looking man.

How are we going to have peace on this planet. What, by declaring Jesus is black or white or whatever? I don't think so! I think he was bronzed by cultural diversity don't you?

"Otto (as in Autobot - Otto-bot) is an unhuman creation of man and therefor, the opitimen of idiosynctratic & disonnant logical fallacy"
 35yrs • M •
quote:
How are we going to have peace on this planet. What, by declaring Jesus is black or white or whatever?

This is one thing that I agree with you about. However, Jesus couldn't be even bronze to that extent that you're talking about. I mean let me say it again, I've lived in Egypt my whole life and I've never been that bronze. And he was Jewish. And that means that he is white skinned, it's a fact. Look, I cannot deny that after being exposed to the sun you can't get a "tanned" skin, but not to that extent. You are talking about the Mediterranean climate, and it's not that 'hot' or sunny as Latin America. Believe me, it is cooler... And I know people who are extremely white and have lived in Egypt all their lives, and they didn't become that tanned after all.

Was Jesus Black
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy