Holding onto anger is like grasping onto a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else. You are the one who gets burned. - unknown
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Rules To Live By

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Rules To Live By
ok. lets do this thing were we make a set of rules to live by. using only reason and complete objective view points.

***DO NOT LITTER THIS WITH THE TEN COMMANDMENTS***
i understand completely if you think those are good rules to live by, but do not discuss why god is right in this thread.
thank you.

these all have to be well thought out.

i'll propose a few right now.

complete honest- not lying to yourself or anyone else will more than likely create the strongest foundation for you to live on.

think clearly and rationally- the only way to trully figure something out, at least thats what i beleive.

ok. thats enough for me right now.

discuss why these are good/bad rules to live by, and propose some of your own.

i am really looking foward to this.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Firstly, before skipping into gear here, it is probably very important to take a step back and consider the essentials of how to approach this.

Everyone's thoughts and personalities are provisional, relative and contextually specific. So to determine a 'set'- of- 'rules' that claim itself as a set of absolutes will never functionally work effectively nor efficiently.

Personally I would take into consideration the differing views of cultural relativism versus moral absolutism. I would suggest, and I'm sure you would agree awakend, that taking a holistic open approach to this is most suitable.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The only rules are the ones we choose to live by .

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Never disrespect life. (don't kill/harm for fun or any other reason)
Never use people as a means to an end. (you completely disregard a person's feelings and reduce them to a stepping stone).

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 33yrs • M •
4720 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Everything we do in our life is aimed to please ourselves, we work to gain security, we worship god to give us hope and even when we sacrifice ourselves for other people it gives us the satisfaction of having done the right thing.

Also since we all recognise pain and hurt i think its logical to live by one rule. Do whatevr seems right for you, just be yourself but do not commit actions which stop others of your kind also achiveing their aims.

35yrs • M
Summit- I am tyring to come at this from a completely objective view point. Which is impossible, I know, but we can get as close as we can. and with others joining in, they can put us in check when we get out of line.

Jacker- No shit. Thats what we are trying to do.

takeme- Why not? If they are having fun doing it, who is to say it is wrong? I stand by my ponit in saying there is no right and wrong.
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=23985-u-page=3#50207

How about this. Do not lie, unless you honestly feel it is the right thing to do.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
surely that is the same as hurting someone. although not physically, it is still harm of a sort. also why are we allowed to harm things for fun, but musnt lie to them. for a group of rules bounded on logic, i feel logic fails you there.

i would suggest however that both are good rules. i know this is a quote, but surely logically "do unto others as you wish to be done to yourself" works. if you dont hurt people, hopefully they wont hurt you, if you dont use them, they wont use you etc.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Thanks for the support, Cynic-Al.
Awakened, you already know that I think morals are not subjective. There's no point arguing over something we've argued over before. The reason I think morals aren't subjective? Simply because of the true fact that all beings, whether human or dumb beast, do not wish for anything but happiness and do not desire even a tiny bit of pain or suffering. Therefore, some absolute morals can be deduced from that fact. It may be hedonism, but it's true.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 35yrs • M
cynic- you miss my point entirely. if being honest to yourself means that you honestly want to hurt something, from a completely objective view point, how can I tell yu you are wrong? I am coming from a point that you might not be able to understand. Pretend that it doesn't affect you in anyway. Now if someone hurts someone for pleaseure, who are you to tell them yuo are wrong? The trith is you have no absolute idea that you are wrong, or right. The only thing you know is that you are beig honest. And that is perfect logic.

Be honest. Which means if you want soemthing, be ok with it.
And if you dont want something, be ok with it.

And once again you fail to see from an objective veiw point. Pretend that you enjoy hurting people. But you hate being hurt. For you to be happy, and you want to be happy, you must hurt people and not be hurt. Who am I to tell you you are wrong? A tainted person that is only in it for me . And because these are rules for everyone, you must put yourself aside.

takeme- First of all, you don't know that. Its just your best guess, so do not use a word like fact. Ever hear of a macicist? And you do not understand what the word subjective means. Because you have been hurt before, and you will do anything for that not to happen again, you are automatically tainted in that you will see something in the interest that you WILL prevent it from hurting you. I may see an S.U.V., but you see a killing machine. As such you think its wrong to have one. That is called being tainted, and this is how you look at everything. Everybody does it, but those aware of it can try to put it in check.

It is not fact. Plain and simple. The only fact there is, is that you want something. You may not knowwhat it is, but if yuo are honest to yourself and everybody around you, you are more likely to know what it is.
And based from that logic, not fact, my rule is better than yours, because it uses logic, unbaised logic, instead of "fact" that is actually far from fact.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Be honest. Which means if you want soemthing, be ok with it.
And if you dont want something, be ok with it.

What if you are honestly mistaken? What if you honestly think that by hurting someone else you will become happy? Should someone intervene and tell you that you will not be happy or should that person learn from experience?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M
If that person honestly wants to, then yes. And if a person is honestly influenced by another person, then they should be ok with that.

I didn't say it was fact or true, just very logical.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If someone brainwashes you so that you believe you want to do harm to another then should you be OK with that?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M
New Rule

A tampered mind is one that cannot be considered fully guilty.
This means that if someone has endured great emmotional pain, and they act a little fucked up because of that, it is not their fault.

35yrs • F •
quote:
takeme- First of all, you don't know that. Its just your best guess, so do not use a word like fact.

No, I really did think about it, and I believe that it is a fact.

quote:
Ever hear of a macicist?

Getting pleasure from physical pain is still pleasure, isn't it? I thought you were bright enough to see that for yourself.

quote:
And you do not understand what the word subjective means. Because you have been hurt before, and you will do anything for that not to happen again, you are automatically tainted in that you will see something in the interest that you WILL prevent it from hurting you. I may see an S.U.V., but you see a killing machine. As such you think its wrong to have one. That is called being tainted, and this is how you look at everything. Everybody does it, but those aware of it can try to put it in check.

Ok, first of all, I didn't like SUVs before that even happened because of their effects on their environment and the amount of gas they used. I've never ever said that it is immoral to own an SUV, and, second of all, FUCK YOU. Don't bring out personal details from my life to sloppily try to prove your point. I'm not 'tainted' or biased because of my own painful experiences. Of course people have opinions on things like politics and the environment. It's part of being human. Big things like morals have absolute concepts that don't come from someone's own experience. The reason I believe people shouldn't be hurt or mistreated is because NO ONE wants to be hurt, not just me. I don't think selfishly, unlike you. You're such an asshole.

35yrs • M
Once again you only give points and nothing to back them up. Yes. I am an ass-hole. But I do it with intentions you are in-capable of understanding which is why my second rule was put into place.

Wether you like it or not, you are. Everybody is. It happens when the oven burns you. When you get picked on at school.
All of the time.

And yes, you are selfish. Why do you think you hate things that polute the enviroment? Because you understand that it is detroying YOUR world.

Which is why when you are being honest with yourself, with your selfishness, it is completely justified for you to cause pain to the buisnesess that gain off of making SUV's.

quote:
Getting pleasure from physical pain is still pleasure, isn't it? I thought you were bright enough to see that for yourself

That is no joke, exactly what I said.

quote:
No, I really did think about it, and I believe that it is a fact.

I don't care how much you thought about it, it is not a fact.

Rules To Live By
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy