Insanity is the spice of life. One small dash can add flavour to the blandest personality. - Chained Wings
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Rules To Live By - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Don't insult my intelligence. I am not "incapable" of understanding your intentions. Even though you say you hurt people to help them, I still don't think that is what you want. I think you're a sadist and you get pleasure from other people's pain. I also think that if I am wrong, and you honestly believe that hurting people over and over helps them, then you are utterly mistaken and are only hurting them more.

I can't cause a company pain since a company is not a person, even if legally they can be seen as such. Those companies don't have to make vehicles like that, but they do it for profit. I can understand that I am subjective when it comes to lots of things, everybody is, but NOT ON MORALS. Call me a follower of Kant, a Utilitarian, if labels help you. I really truly want everyone to be happy in this world, not just myself! I don't understand why you can't see that! It's not just my world that's polluted, but EVERYONE'S WORLD.

What it comes down to, Josh, is that I care about other people and you do not. You love nobody other than yourself and it shows.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
New Rule- It is better to think, than not to.

this is extremely debatable

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why restrict options with rules?

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Because we want to? Rules sometimes allow us to control our environment. And if that makes us happy, then why not, Jacker?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Rules of deductive reasoning show that people are prone to various errors in thinking. People often make use of rules of thumb that often serve us well enough but that may also lead to serious errors. Rules are relative to every individual. Errors of reasoning in dealing with forming a certain rule are often caused by concentrating on the plausibility of the conclusion. Rather than focusing on whether the conclusion follows from the premises. This means that a 'rule' as an absolute has its boundaries, and therefore cannot effectively be applied. This is what I am referring to from my initial post. Before skipping on, into foolishly 'making a rule' you must consider that absolutes don't necerssarily work. One cannot simply state a rule- to state it as an absolute, because everything is contextually specific. To place it simply, your beliefs and opinions on how to live a life will differ between all. Making rules simply has its limitations and errors.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No doubt. But we still like our folk wisdom. We like to simplify life with easy rules or "If you do A, B will happen." Compare that to, "If you do A, at a certain time, place, with a certain person, who is of certain background and personality trait, there is a possibility of B happening, though it is not guarunteed." Plus, imagine teaching that to kids! We tell kids not to wander into the streets alone. Will something bad necessarily happen? No, but the chances are high. So parents tell children that wandering alone leads to trouble.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mindfields19 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"No law can be sacred to me but that of nature. Good and Bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution; the only wrong what is against it..."

Words well spoken by the great Emerson.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 36yrs • M •
With every rule made it closes a door of oppourtunity and discovery.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
its a shame none of us have the "oppourtunity" to rape and kill eachother without consequence.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well said wyote. we have rules to prevent the strong using the weak, and so that people can live together. what jacker talks about is complete anarchy, which is impossible. if there were no set rules, and we could do what we like, jacker could go round killing, stealing, raping and whatever else took his fancy, but if someone stole from him he would take revenge, for example he stole from me, therefore i will take my stuff back, and beat the shit out of him, and he would do this to anyone stealing from him, thus creating the rule, if you steal from jacker he will beat you up. humans cannot live in total anarchy, it just can't happen. so we make rules to try and make ourselves equal (in an ideal democracy or true communism) or to give yourself power and oppress others (in a dictatorship). not all rules are good, but we need some.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
I believe that still happens even with the rules doesn't it...But, cynic you're right if you stole from me I would beat you up

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have to say Kahlil Gibran said it best:

"I do not love man-made laws and I abhor the traditions that our ancestors left us. This hatred is the fruit of my love for the sacred and spiritual kindness which should be the source of every law upon the earth, for kindness is the shadow of God in man."

***NOTE: Kahlil Gibran is not a Christian but a follower of the spirit, giving the name God to the Supreme Being who does not discriminate against religions.

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Do Unto Others As You Would Have Done To You

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
If only everybody believed that...People let the ego get in the way and actually believe in their own superior well being. But, hey if that's what they want..that's what they'll get...

Rules To Live By - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy