Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

I Spy - Because I Can, I'm The Commander-In-Chief

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Darn it, to quick to delete email . . . so I can't quote the sourse but I got this email telling how someQuakers in Fla[?] were being spied upon as radical subversives because of their anti-war moment: they were planning to stage a peaceful anti-war protest & had several meeting to discuss it > wow how anti american can one get?

On NPR yesterday evening they explained how it worked. First they would monitor an oversease call and then they would monitor their contacts, and their contacts, contacts and their contacts, etc. etc.. The web keeps growing.

The leads lead nowhere and lower ranks complained of resources being better spent would be more fruitful.

Basically anybody who was anti bush was being watched. I know I was and probebly am being watched because the nut case who owns Katrina.com turns in all Anti-American posters who criticize the Bush Administration and then blocks you from her site. Her reasoning, if your not for us, your against us. I tried to make em understand freedom, but if it aint God and Country, it aint American. These people haven't been decieved, they just decided to be stupid.

I learned about Katrina.com from NPR news and I wished I had never gone there. No matter, she's a nut case and they haven't put me in jail yet, so we're ok.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
that lady seriouslly blocked you from the site. Hmm I wonder if there is a law that we can use to get her in trouble then becouse thats technilly dening one freedon of speech but then again i dont know what that site does. Well just another example of right winged religous fanatics saying that your not patriotic or stuff like that becouse you dont follow the preisident and dont support his war.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 64yrs • M •
I went back and tried to find the disclaimer that was put up after I was blocked stating that any one criticizing the president will be blocked and reported to Home Land Security. But maybe she did get in trouble because I found this
quote:
The Message Board has been locked down, due to the vulgarity and lack of respect for those in authority and our neighbors. I will open it up again as long as individuals can act responsibly. Please respect this website.

I thought I was very civil, I just expressed my concern about how Bush left those people without food or water or even proper sanatation for such a long time, like he wanted them to die.

How do people in the name patriotism to America thwart free speech

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
any one criticizing the president will be blocked and reported to Home Land Security.

I wonder if Bush is ever found guilty of war crimes, lying etc. if she will turn herself in for supporting him...

You should join again under another name and inform her of her being reported to homeland security for supporting him in his crimes.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 64yrs • M •
My IP address is blocked, both at home and at work.

I was thinking about going back to Swift Boats and see if I'm blocked from there still.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, let's consider their view . . . although we perceive the web as open source of communication & exchange, others may not. For instance my son is active in a game site which while open to general public access, it does restrict forums & gaming to a particular game.
So they as a minority have the right to restrict their site to promote their view. Just as private clubs operating in public places tend to be in a grey area between rights of the individual & those of the public. They have right to censure [limit] the information published on their site. I guess that is why I like this site, differing opinions can debate or advocate their views w/o being censured at least to some extent.
Yes, you are right some people want to see the world through rose coloured [tinted] glasses so it will look pretty in colour. I like to photograph cities at night that way the bright & colourful lights produce an image while the desperate lifes are hidden in the shadows & darkness of the nite.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 64yrs • M •
Swiftboat and Katrina legaly have the right to block me if my opinion doesn't fit into their group, but it was kinda hypocritical of them, but for Katrina.com to turn me into Homeland Security as a national threat because I criticize the president - that's kinda way out there, at least she was nice enough to tell me that she did it.

I haven't been arrested or taken during the night, this is still America, barely - its going fast.

And I'm changing subjects again - hard not to do that - the thing bothers me the most is that we know that Cheney's Haliburton stock value had gone from 250,000 to 8 million and he's still the vice president, we're still in Iraq and Haliburton still has the no bid contract.

?

Surely a great giant law has been broken here - this has got to be the most unethical thing ever in America.

76yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kathaksung is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
368. Pirates the Constitution right (1/2/06)

Bush defended his domestic eavesdropping program was "targeted known Al-Qaida members or associates and involved intercepts of only a few numbers in the US." This is a quibble.

1. If it was about Al Qaida, why bypassed FISA? FISA warrant is easy to get.
And there is reason to believe Al Qaida was under surveillance already. What is the work for CIA? How do they spend the huge budget on intelligence? Consider Al Qaida is illegal in every country and was in escape in caves. (what government said)

2. Who gave Bush the right to ride over the Constitution? Secret eavesdropping means unreasonable search and seizure which is against 4th Amendment. When the administration authorize themselves the right to search and arrest, then what's the difference from a totalitarian? Bush will be the similar figure like Saddam.

3. Bush is a villain who used to extort people by "terrorist". He had intimidated US into an unjust war by "WMD", "imminent danger". He now blackmails Americans by "saving their lives". Step by step, he rips off the civil right from American people and turns US into a totalitarian country.

4. Beware of another "terror attack" activated by Bush's group to justify his illegal action.

72yrs • M •
After Michael was killed by the police (sniper fire) the statement made 'suicide by cop' seemed to bother me?
Then we have a young teenager shot & killed because the policeman feared for his life?
Days maybe weeks prior to that I had popped a DVD in to watch a movie 'PHONEbooth' with Colin Farrell, Forest Whitaker & Kiefer Sutherland. They had used that phase in the movie. Of course in the movie it didn't have the lethal ramifications of real life & death.
Hmm . . . whatever happened to all those non-lethal means to subdue suspects? Ya, right democracy?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 64yrs • M •
A democracy of the great dollar bill, every bollar gets a vote - you don't have one - ah too bad.

Concerning the wire taps -

quote:
"The Question": "The Bush administration simply cannot answer this one question - if time was of the essence, why didn't they conduct the searches and get the warrants after the fact, something that is allowed under the FISA law? They conducted the searches alright, but they never once sought the retroactive warrants."

That comes from Afterdowningstreet.org

76yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kathaksung is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
369. D.O.J. wants unlimited power (1/2/06)

Though Bush tries to put the argument in the name of "we are in the war, saving American's lives", his real purpose is to legalize unreasonable search. The real commander behind him is the Department of Justice.

1) US citizens are protected by the Constitution. If government wants to put you under surveillance, they must apply for a warrant from the court with evidence.

2) FISA(Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) is in low standard. Government can apply a warrant based on suspicion not evidence. But there is a wall to prevent it to be used in domestic criminal case. Because there is big difference between suspicion and evidence. And we have seen how D.O.J. hates this wall and activated waves of attack on it.

3) What happens now is government even abandon the court system and issue warrant by themselves. That's how Bush authorizes the domestic eavesdropping. If that goes through, then it's a totalitarian. The government can do whatever they want to do. There is no check and balance to this power. America loses it's principle of foundation.

You will understand a series events happened recently if you read the above analysis. Why a FISA judge resigned to protest. Why Bush defended his spying policy again and again. Why D.O.J. hastily start to probe the leak on spying program.

A typical sample is Padilla's case. Padilla was held without charge for three years. Now government dropped former "dirty bomb" allegation and tried to deliver him to domestic criminal court with other charges. A typical "arrest without evidence" then to transfer him to a domestic court which needs evidence to arrest. D.O.J. tried to establish a case to break the wall which is set to protect American people.

64yrs • M •
quote:
About 200 senators and staff were cleared from the Russell Building and held in an underground car park.

The evacuation was triggered when an alarm system appeared to detect a poison in the air.

An air-monitoring system indicated the presence of a nerve agent in the attic of the building.

So what is this a scare tactic so that the Senators won't challenge Bush on his spy program.

And changing the subject getting back to something you had mentioned ealier - the CIA budget.

500 billion is a lot of money. I want to see the budget, because I don't believe it

72yrs • M •
quote:
Bush defends spying to GOP
The Associated Press
http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060211/WIRE/2021
10332/1117/news

"I wake up every morning thinking about a future attack, and therefore, a lot of my thinking, and a lot of the decisions I make are based upon the attack that hurt us," Bush told the House Republican Caucus, which was in retreat at a luxury resort along the Choptank River on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

"I take my oath of office seriously. I swear to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States," Bush said. [Ya right, I will as I see the need! Says the flam¡¦in bush]

He indirectly pressed his call - difficult in an election year - for Congress to approve $70 billion in savings from benefit programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and payments to farmers over the next five years, and to cut dozens of other programs that the White House has determined don't produce results.

Reporters then were ushered out - "I support the free press, let's just get them out of the room," Bush said - so the president could speak privately to his fellow Republicans.

"I want to share some thoughts with you before I answer your questions," said Bush, unaware that microphones were still on and were allowing those back in the White House press room to eavesdrop on his eavesdropping defense. "First of all, I expect this conversation we're about to have to stay in the room. I know that's impossible in Washington."

That was not to be - and it was telling that the president chose the controversial NSA program as the first topic to raise out of reporters' earshot. Even so, there was no substantive difference between those statements and the series of public speeches he has given recently on the program.

White House seeking sale of forest land to fund schools

ASHINGTON - The Bush administration on Friday detailed its proposal to sell more than 300,000 acres of national forests and other public land to help pay for rural schools in 41 states.

The land sales, ranging from less than an acre to more than 1,000 acres, could total more than $1 billion and would be the largest sale of forest land in decades.

Spy says prewar evidence ignored
By SCOTT SHANE
The New York Times
http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060211/WIRE/2021
10337/1117/news

WASHINGTON - A CIA veteran who oversaw intelligence assessments about the Middle East from 2000 to 2005 on Friday accused the Bush administration of ignoring or distorting the prewar evidence on a broad range of issues related to Iraq in its effort to justify the American invasion of 2003.
----- -- ----- -- ----„³
But Pillar is the first high-level CIA insider to speak out by name on the use of prewar intelligence. His article for the March-April issue of Foreign Affairs, which charges the administration with the selective use of intelligence about Iraq's unconventional weapons and the chances of postwar chaos in Iraq, was posted Friday on the journal's Web site after it was reported in The Washington Post.

President Bush and his aides have denied that the Iraq intelligence was politicized. Stephen J. Hadley, the national security adviser, said in November, "Our statements about the threat posed by Saddam Hussein were based on the aggregation of intelligence from a number of sources, and represented the collective view of the intelligence community. Those judgments were shared by Republicans and Democrats alike."

64yrs • M •
I never understood why Nixon was impeached for spying - I figure he must have done some awful terrible things worse than spying to be impeached, it was just the only thing they could get him on.

Honestly - I think the same is true of Mr. Bush - He should be impeached for getting us into a war based on false information that him and his administration had helped manufacture and implemented it - that most likely will not be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt - all we can know for sure is that he always wanted us to go to war against Saddam and hoped we would.

But the spying thing can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt - he openly admited it and says he will continue - so why isn't this man in jail - is he above the law?

72yrs • M •
Are you serious? Is King George above the Law, hell He is the Law! Ya know if I had voted for the flam'in bush, I would really be embarrassed to admit to that mistake.
Fool me once shame on you . . .
fool me twice shame on me

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy