Great sex can come from true love; true love cannot come from great sex. - Chained Wings
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Bored - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why did the dog get bored? It had nothing to do. Can you choose to do something? Of course you can. The dog was bored and chooses to go to sleep. Can you say you can choose to not fall in love anymore? Of course not. Emotion like summit said is already predetermined. In other words you have no choice about it.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Emotion is predetermined yet this doesn't prevent choice from occuring. Firstly, If a person is fully conscious, with nothing else preoccupying them, and if they do not attempt to create an engaging activity themselves, they will drift into a tentative state of boredom. Secondly, the brain can purposely selectively block out stimulus considered uninteresting by the conscious mind, and without additional activity registering in the brain, boredom may arise.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 36yrs • M •
quote:
and if they do not attempt to create an engaging activity themselves, they will drift into a tentative state of boredom.

If they can make it an engaging activity isn't that a level of control. If you have control over it would you still consider that emotion?

quote:
Secondly, the brain can purposely selectively block out stimulus considered uninteresting by the conscious mind, and without additional activity registering in the brain, boredom may arise.

Just because you're not listening doesn't mean you have to be bored. For instance in high school, especially chemistry class, I would doodle to keep myself entertained. Or I'd stare out the window. Or if those weren't available I'd move on to my imagination. See what could be the funniest thing to happen at that moment. Regardless boredom is chosen and you have complete control over it.

37yrs • M •
Jacker_Jones:
quote:
In other words you have no choice about it....

boredom is chosen and you have complete control over it.

If we are to further discussion, please can we not have contradictions.

Boredom affects a person's likelihood of initiating repetitive behaviors. Now figiting in class is simply a repetitive behavior to express their boredom in a certain environment (such as the classroom). Towards a more extreme example of boredom- Prisoners, will pace in their cells in specific patterns to help the redundancy of their day. Or people waiting in lines at the check out counter will move from one foot to another. These are symptoms of boredom....the stimulation of the brain to shift mental activity. Whatever the situation or level of boredom, there is usually a repetitive behaviour that occurs after a certain amount of time.

36yrs • M •
Like i've said. Emotion you have no choice about it and boredom you have complete control over it. Which is why boredom is not emotion. It's not difficult to understand.

Regardless of any circumstances given there's always a way someone can overcome boredom. Can you say the same about other emotions? No. Boredom is lack of imagination and appreciation to the moments in life. In other words ignorance.

37yrs • M •
There is no point in furthering this discussion Jackerjones if you aren't prepared to perhaps read into the psychology of emotion to help you understand cognition a little bit better. Boredom is an emotion. This is well established and understood in cognitive science. Perhaps try not to shoot at me without strong reasoning.

36yrs • M •
Science has never been proved wrong? I always found that cognitive science was just really opinions. But, yes you are correct this is going no where.

37yrs • M •
Cognitive science has more credible material to provide evidence that boredom is an emotion than just merely an opinion that opposes that theory. Thats all.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But why do we try and get away from our boredom?

"Dark and silent and complete."
 37yrs • M •
When we are bored our brain is slightly deactivated. We attempt to get away from boredom because our brain needs to be stimulated.

35yrs • M •
sublime99 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
This site has cured my boredom for now . I do agree with summit on this one, though. If you say that boredom isnt emotion because you can make an effort to effectively end it, then what about anger managment? There are ways to deal with every emotion. If you are bored you try and become unbored, if you are angry you try to calm down.

"think globally, act locally"
 36yrs • M •
The only thing that cures emotion is time. Anger management is simply to solve what you do with that anger. For instance I quite often laugh when I'm angry. But other people may go on murderous rampages. Does that solve your anger? No it's just handled differently.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
emotions are fake

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Everything's fake.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
incorrect

Bored - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy