Life is often hard. The blade is my only comfort. i used to rely on you, but since the last heartbreak i desided that my own blood, and my self are the only things that cares about me. - Blood_princess
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Material Body's Importance: Right or Wrong

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is all in theory and I'm just looking for opinions and people to spot out flaws.

Ok our presence can be described as a soul inside of a material body. This material body once it had died has little or no importance to your soul. So if it has no importance than it really is just material. It's nothing more than a suit for my soul.

Now would it be considered as wrong to desire something of no importance or if it isn't important than why desire it?

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's important as long as your soul still resides in it. It's a tool to achieve your means.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
But is it wrong to be attached to it.

36yrs • F •
Depends on how you're attached. Do you value it because it helps you achiece whatever worthy goals you have? Because you increase your status in the superficial social world? Because it makes life more enjoyable? Also depends on what you do to it.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
I'm thinking of a more black and white type scenario.

I must warn you though this pretty much in a sense is preaching and those that don't want to read it don't. This helps myself but whether or not it may help you is beyond me.

When I look upon this question I feel it is not one of beauty but more of a grim truth. I feel the body shouldn't be dwelled upon for when the body separates from the soul so does the health, the social awareness, or even me typing this. Which always makes me feel what's necessary . When I see this problem I see a door but once it has been opened I see many doors. A whole hallway of the suckers each continuing on exponentially. I peek one open and I realize if the body isn't necessary all accomplishments aren't necessary. For if all is lost than everything that stays behind on Earth isn't necessary. The whole purpose is what leaves the Earth. Accomplishments will always be deceiving to one's self, we usually see this as a victory but at what price does this come. We've been given a grant of time and what you pick and choose to do with it is the victory. So be picky about what leaves the Earth with you.

36yrs • F •
That was profound.

As true as that may be, most of the time we forget the reality concerning our bodies. Especially younger people who feel immortal. And those who forget face insecurities when they get old.

Also, not everyone believes in life after death like you do. Some people believe that this life is all they'll get, so they do what they can to feel happy and immortal.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We are God's hands here. What we do here is very necessary and cannot be done without out bodies, gifted by God.
He wouldn't have put us here with these bodies for no reason.
It is what we do with our minds and bodies that we take away with us.
Just because we do not know why we go through this life it doesn't mean it's not for a good reason.
I think you are saying your secular life has no value but it is a gift from God. Your talents, friends, family, nature, work, laughter. Gifts he wants you to use and enjoy.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think there is a difference between valueing your body, and "worshipping" it. it is neccessary to take care of it and try not to damage it, but sometimes it must be damaged to achieve something. basically dont self harm, but it is okay to risk injury to save another.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
For what is important? Really only soul oriented things are important is what I'm saying. For that is what leaves the Earth. To pick and choose what is good for my soul.

50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Photar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, you should do what is good for your soul but I hope you don't plan on being so Heavenly minded you'll be of no earthly use!
God didn't put the world, and us, here idly. He wants us to communicate and reach out to others especially those who are many would consider bad for the soul. They need us most.
This place is out chance to tell others about God. But God also wants us to find joy here. No other gods before him does not mean locking youself in a room and praying til you die unless you get a clear message from God he wants you to do that.
Talk to him. Pray about it. I went though the same thing when I was a teenager. I couldn't see why this world mattered.

But remember God sent Jesus here. If this world didn't matter he would not have done that. Jesus spent 30 years playing, learning, making friends, working as a carpenter, going to parties. He saw value in it. You can't get a bigger validation than that.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter but some of us a looking at stars"
 36yrs • M •
I'm glad for your concern but I've had spiritual growth as proof to myself to what I'm doing is right.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jacker Jones

I agree with you whole heartedly. We should never value the things of the "physical world". Money, our bodys, cars, rocks, and trees. Why? It's like you said nothing "physical" is worth valueing. But then our self awarness is not physical, it is something completely diffrent. (Most I think would agree).
But it is also true that we are not "complete" in the sense of word. We as humans lack much "physical" knowledge as well as "soul's" knowledge. Only God has the complete set of both. It is also true. That how we as humans "develope" our minds and souls is through expereince of the "physical" world. So in short
We value life "physically" because it brings us knowledge of the "soul". And knowledge of the soul is most definatley worth value.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eyestien is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Great point Conway, and I think most of us will have to learn through our own experiences and share amongst each other. And can that bring us to a state of peace when we are at peace with ourselves?

"I am samrt because I know I am dumb"
 36yrs • F •
Charmed1_18 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're saying here, but it seems to me that you're not placing any value on your life now. I don't believe in God, which I know is going to offend some people, but I do believe in the idea of a universal soul. Our soul is our core as humans, and a huge part of who we are. However, your soul is only one part of you. Your body is another huge part of you. I don't think that you should completely disregard your body and your life now because you are focused completely on your soul. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to take care of your soul; But at the same time, there are other things that matter right now, and although you should try to achieve spiritual well-being, shouldn't you also try to achieve happiness, fitness, health, and everything else that comes with a material body? From what you said, I'm sure you believe in God, or some other higher power, but just for the sake of theory, lets say there isn't. Would you have regrets about this life, not having lived it to its fullest because you were so focused on the well being of your soul that you forgot to take pleasure in today? Hey, I could be wrong, but I look forward to hearing everyone's replies.

"We talk about tomorrow, then it slips away. We talk about forever, but we've only got today."

"Life exists specifically because it has an end. Death is what forces people to live."
 36yrs • M •
I see this body as a mere puppet that I use to gain spirituality. I keep good care of it not because it's important but because it's my tool. My tool of spiritual growth.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy