Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Mixed Martial Arts

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Podslapper is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Mixed Martial Arts
Sometimes referred to as Ultimate Fighting, now legal in nearly every state and aired regularly on Spike TV, this thing is really getting popular.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are--do you see it as a legitimate sport, or do you buy into the notion that it's simply human cockfighting and has no place in civilized society?

I personally have been a fan for a long time, love the strategy involved and the multi-dimensionality that you don't get with boxing. The mainstream media kind of skewers the perception of it a bit, trying to make it into this horribly barbaric thing, but in reality I don't think it's any more brutal or dangerous than most other contact sports.

"Hello, hello, hello"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I never really understood boxing or anything in that manner. What exactly are they fighting over? There's no real argument or anything disagreed upon. It's just two guys fighting for the sport of it. A macho game of who's tougher. Personally i think fighting in self defense is the only legitimate reason to fight(excluding play fighting).

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
first off, i am a fan and do apriciate all those aspects.

quote:
simply human cockfighting

apparently people do not know the size of a chicken brain. it is about the size of a pellet for a 22 caliber gun. they do not understand why they are fighting, and don't care. they would still fight to the death, on the other hand these guys tap out once someone gets a good choke hold, or breaks their wrist. it is no where near cock fighting and that is simply a tool of the moronic used to try and justify something that has no logical justification.

on the other hand

quote:
I don't think it's any more brutal or dangerous than most other contact sports.

are you kidding me? it is by far more brutal than any, and every, main stream sport out there. wresteling isn't real, foot has pads, and rugby isn't desined for knocking the other guy unconscience. be a little more eralistic in your arguments. boxing has plenty of rules to stop death and breakong of bones.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is the point of debating on this website? A macho game of who's smarter.. I don't think there's any reason to argue unless you're trying to better something..
I've been watching UFC since it very first started, when you could really do whatever the hell you wanted to the other guy. Is it cockfighting? In a way yes it sure is. People around the world place bets on who is going to win, if anything's going to be broken, will one man get knocked out, etc. But every great civilization has it's warriors. The Romans made them fight naked, and to the death! So, at least you can take pride in humanity that they've at least evolved (in thought and morality) that much in the last 2000 years.

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well put fin.

quote:
Personally i think fighting in self defense is the only legitimate reason to fight

i don't know, fun, glor, honor. whats wrong with wanting those thigns.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well I just see it as archaic. If you're an archaic person I guess there's nothing wrong with that. Personally I think there are many better, more productive ways to achieve amusement, glory and honor.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree jones. However the animal in me enjoys seeing two people go at each other until one is defeated. The human in me tells me that is a stupid pointless show of strength and skill, but to others what we do on here is absolutely pointless. My only problem with it is that it breeds more violence. Children watch this and idolize it. Even adults. It's really funny actually. I've watched thes fights with all age groups, usually mostly men, and they all react the same. They want to wrestle around and set up actual matches, i'm laughing just thinking about it. Should we just put this one to human nature and let them be. War is for the warriors and peace for the peaceful? Thinking for the thoughtful man and violence for the violent? Or should something be done to stop it. Are normally non-violent people affected by these types of things? Is violence necessarily wrong? It's all relative. Like i said before many people think that discussing and debating as we do on here should be stopped..

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Podslapper is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well the reason I say it's no more dangrous than other contact sports is because there are fewer injuries in mma (so far, at least).

Look at pro football. You have multiple 300 pound guys slamming into each other as fast as they can, and you can't tell me there aren't at least a couple serious injuries a year.

Boxing has had its fair share of deaths (I think I read that there's an average of one sanctioned boxing death a year).

But MMA has had no deaths so far, and not even a career ending injury. Though to be fair, pro boxing has waaaay more events per year than MMA does. But I mean MMA's been around and sanctioned since the mid nineties, so that should say something.

Even non-contact sports, like Skiing, are probably right up there in the risk department, but nobody ever gets into a fuss about them.

Oh, and as far as UFC events breeding violent/wreckless behavior... What about NASCAR? You don't think after one of these events there aren't some morons who are going to get liquored up and decide to go drag racing?

Not that I'm against any of these sports. Just I'd like more people to view MMA along the same lines as other contact sports, instead of being for, say, boxing, but opposed to MMA. They're all dangerous and there is a risk involved, but they're entertaining and the athletes know what they're getting into.

"Hello, hello, hello"
[  Edited by Podslapper at   ]
Mixed Martial Arts
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy