Do what makes you happy. For those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr Seuss
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Popularity and open mindedness - Page 3

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What makes you so sure that there is an absolute universal truth? your assertion that there is a universal truth only furthers your proof that your are close-minded.
and remember, an ignorant man says :"I know."
and a wise man says:"I wonder..."

"He who does not question is lost."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So basically your only arguement is calling my arguement bullshit?

quote:
Accept that you have chosen the easy path due to weakness and necessity

You know nothing of my path and therefore cannot say how easy it is.

quote:
Accept that you cannot speak to me without being intimidated because I assert that I have the strength to accept uncertainty and find answers within it

You do not intimidate me in the slightest. And why are you suddenly encouraging me to be closed minded? Isn't blindly accepting your ideas a closed minded action and yet you force it on me how odd.

quote:
That I don't cling to a book or religion because it provides the answers. That I choose to walk my own path, and am not scared to do it.

And what have you accomplished? You say Bhuddism is good and yet you do not practice it. You tell us we must empathize with everyone and yet you do not. Also you have choosen a very popular "open minded" path. Most open minded people will walk their own paths because they think it makes them better than others

My beliefs allow me to empathize with people. I can honestly consider myself equal to all people. But you feel the need to be higher up than someone.

quote:
But trying to live in denial does make you an idiot.

Nicely thrown in so that you can assert you dominion over me.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Most open minded people will walk their own paths because they think it makes them better than others

hmm no. open minded people walk their own path because to be open minded is to have your own path, free of other peoples restrictions - which result in close mindedness.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 39yrs • M •
quote:
hmm no. open minded people walk their own path because to be open minded is to have your own path, free of other peoples restrictions - which result in close mindedness.

And they feel that walking their own path (being open minded)makes them superior to closed minded people. Only being open minded is a fad and as such is just another way for people to feel better than someone else

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
got a lot to say boys.

quote:
i agree with awakend on both his posts

that means a lot. thank you.
quote:
I'm not certain if intolerance towards stubborn-ness is really something that makes me closed minded

in an inbox disscusion, ethereal and i have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to be completly open minded, and therefor we are all closed minded. this is how i did it:
awakendwraith: :17yrs
based upon pervious arguments, am i a completly, or at least closly, open person?
etherealmee... : : 20yrs
You seem to hold firmly to specific ideas and this makes you closed minded
awakendwrai... : : 17 yrs
which one?
Your theory of right and wrong for one
awakendwrai... : : 17yrs
i knew you would say that..so. that theory basicly boils down to being completly openminded. right?
Pretty much. You claim complete ignorance and uncertainty. But even as you hold this idea to be true you become closed minded.
which is my point. it is not possible to be completly open minded, which is why we can never be open minded enough.
that was good. come on give it to me. that was good.
Complete open mindedness is ignorance. Why should we want this?
ignorance is bliss.
oh! and the hits just keep coming.
To some maybe.

next thing...
quote:
You are attempting to remain as you are and in fact defend your right to do so.

and i comend and respect him for it
quote:
While you try to gain stability and do not achieve it

it seems to me that ethereal.. is being a reaqlist and picking a fight that he can win. he thinks that it is better to win an easy fight than loose them all.
quote:
don't make me qoute you

quote:
but in exchange for that happiness, I'm more right than you
is being right more important than being happy? you people feel the weight of atempting to be right so strngly, that you also feel it would be immposible to be happy at the same time. decius- you condem him for giving up, but you have givin up yourself. that is very very sad.
quote:
You are less stable because your failed attempts at openmindedness leave you with nothing

it is only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.
quote:
And yet you cling to a feeble minded

decius- you do sound desperate to be right. as if you could not handle it is you were wrong. i think ethereal could though. and i think that is more of a winning side.
quote:
You do not intimidate me in the slightest

i am intimidated. and i like it. it gives me a challenge
quote:
But trying to live in denial does make you an idiot
tool of the moronic
quote:
And they feel that walking their own path (being open minded)makes them superior
and it fucking does.

Awakend

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 39yrs • M •
quote:
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
And they feel that walking their own path (being open minded)makes them superior
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------

and it fucking does.

That being the case open minded people are unable to empathize with other people and are therefore closed minded to the concept of empathy.

quote:
it is only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.

Why should we want to be free to do anything? I think the ability to limit oneself is a much better attribute. Imagine the alcoholic who seeks to limit himself would you consider that weakness?

35yrs • M
quote:
That being the case open minded people are unable to empathize with other people and are therefore closed minded to the concept of empathy.

ya know, that sounds real good, but , being empathetic myself, its flaud. and we have already come to the conclusion that everyone is a little opend minded.

quote:
Why should we want to be free to do anything?

life, liberty, and the pursute of happiness. it is the perogitive of the free wanting man.

quote:
I think the ability to limit oneself is a much better attribute.

if limiting your self from your true potintial sounds like the way to go, then i understand why you would think that.

quote:
Imagine the alcoholic who ....

the alcoholic has his alcohol. he can be free with that need. if he has it and doesn't need it, then he is ok.

quote:
consider that weakness?

only if he does.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 39yrs • M •
quote:
ya know, that sounds real good, but , being empathetic myself, its flaud. and we have already come to the conclusion that everyone is a little opend minded.

Everyone is both closed and openminded to an extent. Those who seek to be only openminded cannot then be empathetic because they elevate themselves and in doing so lose connection to those they have decided are less worthy then they.

quote:
life, liberty, and the pursute of happiness. it is the perogitive of the free wanting man.

So because you want to do something you should be able to? So people should be free to be racist and sexist because they want to be?

quote:
if limiting your self from your true potintial sounds like the way to go, then i understand why you would think that.

Do you have something against self control?

quote:
the alcoholic has his alcohol. he can be free with that need. if he has it and doesn't need it, then he is ok.

The whole idea is that an alcoholic needs the alcohol it is an addiction. The alcohol because he can not control it then controls him.

quote:
only if he does.

So if a person is ignorant of their problem then it isn't actually a problem?

35yrs • M
yes to every qeustion. and to every qeustion, to an extent.

Popularity and open mindedness - Page 3
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy