Life isn't one thing after another. It's one goddamn thing over, and over, and over, and over... - fireflys
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is Anything Possible?

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is Anything Possible?
What does everyone think about this?
I have debated for years on this single topic with all kinds of people.
The conclusion I came to is that before you ask whether something is impossible or not you must decide whether you consider the illogical side of reality to be possible.
That which is illogical is subject to nothing but infinity.
So do you consider something illogical impossible?

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Ghost: Hume teaches us that no matter how many times you drop a stone and it falls to the floor, you never know what'll happen the next time you drop it. It might fall to the floor, but then again it might float to the ceiling. Past experience never proves the future

~Enter The Matrix

although highly improbable, as well as illogical, i personally believe that nothing can be said in absolute certainty.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Nothing is impossible because our senses or how we preceive it may be wrong. Science quite often makes mistakes after saying game over on an issue.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm under the firm impression that anything and everything either already existed, exists, or is possible.

This includes contradiction, orderly chaos and all that.

This concept exists independant of human capability. So if you mean able by man specifically...

I would say, we posess the ability to manifest thoughts into physical reality, thus making anything possible.

To give a realistic example, take nano technology and the ability to manipulate matter at a molecular level. Literally creating objects from molecules pulled from even the air, such as carbon.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that for us to be able to clarify the stiuation a definaiton needs to make place. It is that we has "humans" on planet "earth", are liveing in a different reality. Subject to completly differnt kinds of "logic", and "illogic". Proof?? Or even still take this for a example.
We as humans have "logic" known as Physics. It governs the physical limitations and rules of our "entiy" and our planet in which we live. Now assuming God existest "or any being of full enlightenment" Alien-or-otherwise, then they would have this same "knowledge" of physics as we do.
However their version of our physics, is much differnt. For they have all knowledge, this puts our physics in a total differnt realm compaerd to ours, though it is the same knowledge. Hence two realitys that have differnt rules of logic and illogic.
So then a definiton is needed to know what is possible and what is not, and in which reality it exist.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 37yrs • M •
Here is an interesting thought.

My mother and I would always have debates on God and the possibilities of anything associated with him. In the Bible it says (can't remember where exactly) that "With God Anything is Possible". It is a relatively popular verse I think.
I think it might be in Matthew but I really don't remember. ANYWAYS, well we would talk about how with god anything is possible and what that saying means. Does that mean that if we are on Gods side that we can doing anything? Does it mean that God can doing anything? Well either way I would think that certain things are quite impossible in certain situations.
Ok say that Christianity is RIGHT and everything about it is true and everyone KNOWS it somehow.
Now someone ask God if anything is possible and he would say that of course, Anything is possible with me child (or something like that).
Child- God can you sin?
God- Of course I can but I would never sin for if I did I would not be your God.
Child- So then You can't sin..
God- No... I CAN but I choose never to indulge in such actions.
Child- So then what your saying is that you will NEVER sin?
God- Right.
Child- So then it is impossible that God will sin.
God- ...
Child- Because you will NEVER sin means that the possibility of you sinning is zero.
Child- That also means that if you did sin that you would not be God. So then if God sinned then it would be impossible for God to be God.
Child- Or! God if can do anything then can you restrict yourself to Human knowledge, power, "logic" and desire? Thus removing all the powers that make you God and then I must ask you to return to your Godly state under these conditions.
Child- Or.. simply.. Make yourself not God.
God- ...
Philosopher- Child you cannot apply human logic to God.
God- Yah!
Child- ..*sigh*
Anyways, my point is that if God can do anything then he can make himself 100% human with no part of him still God.
Thus limiting him to our Knowledge, Power, Logic, etc.
If he is confined to these conditions especially "Logic" then this illogical seemingly question becomes logical. Thus to me seeming that God cannot do anything.
I would really like to hear someone elses opinion.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Zato.

You forget that with God's ultimate powers comes ultimate nowledge. He would simple come up with an idea like this one.

At first I will tearn myself into a human in all ways. However I will also 'cast a spell'-for want of a better term-, so that I will only be utterly human for a certain period of time. At the end of which I will turn back into my former self and continue frusrating those philosophers who are always talking about me, and reality.

So in affect God is all powerfull. And when we try to think of things he can't do. He sit's there and laugh's.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 37yrs • M •
It is all debatable.
I have a few questions that make the concept of God impossible under human logic.
1. God can't sin. / and remain 100% holy or even be a God worth serving anymore.
2. God can't be 100% human (with no bug/spells/magic/that which isnt human) and turn back to God. Using Spells as you said would be a Godly act/ part Godly. I can turn and twist this question so you can't make it logically possible.
3. God can't make himself to have never existed before.
Take note of three: If he exist at all ever then it is impossible to make himself to have never existed because he existed right at that moment in which he was asked to not make himself exist. He could maybe go back in time and make himself to not exist but he still existed in the dimension/time/reality/w/e before he did all that. It happened it is done! Nothing can change that and it can never be undone.
All of this under human logic.
My whole point of this thread was to make people realize that you need to take into account the Illogical side.
Because just because it is illogical doesn't mean it couldn't be possible.
When taking Logical and Illogical into account ANYTHING is possible.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
everything is possible as far as any of us know, even the possibility that everything is not possible

"dont got one"
 37yrs • M •
I agree. ^^

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you cannot apply human logic to God.

a higher will like god can't even be affilated with such things like sinning..

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
everything is impossible in theory untill proven possible.. ie the moon... those dumbass 14 century naive bastards weren't open to the possibilty that we could travel to it..

that's one small step for man.. one giant leap for the possibilities of man kindman

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 37yrs • M •
quote:
a higher will like god can't even be affilated with such things like sinning..

Why not?

quote:
everything is impossible in theory untill proven possible..

I disagree. Anything could be possible at anytime.

Is Anything Possible?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy