Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Do You Change Your Idioms?

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i often find myself changing subtleties in my behavior when i am around different people. generally it is for myself - it allows me to relate to the other person on a much more personal level. afterwards i often wonder if doing this is not as beneficial as i think it is. perhaps i am not being myself? do i mold myself from others? is this bad?

to be yourself fully and completely at all times, or to make a temporary mold of yourself depending on who you are with. which is better?

*this excludes changing moral values/beliefs and specific character traits, as i am pretty sure most would agree that you should always stick to these.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I know what you mean. I used to change my behaviour around different friends, and I still do (but to lesser of a degree). People naturally mold their behaviour to people differently, considering everyone has different personalities. I have realised that it is much better to be myself, and obviously with close friends who know me as I am. At first it was hard to take into practice, but now it has been beneficial in most situations to be myself, even with family, and especially with girls.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
[  Edited by summit at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to be a little more specific, some people find expressive people intimidating. flailing their arms all about and pronoucing words sharply. i do this on occassion when i am very into whatever it is i am talking about, but if i am around someone whom i know is bothered by such things, i will make a point to be slightly less....shall we say overbearing.

also, some people enjoy crass humor, others are offended by it... is it really wrong to cator to peoples likings?

why not do things like this? it allows me to relate to the other person with less tension - they get more from me and in turn i give and recieve more out of the situation for myself.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah there's nothing wrong with the fact you're changing your idioms except for the fact your selling out. If you can live with that than it's a green light. Personally if they don't like me well they can shove it. I try not to bring up beliefs or even converse about it. I let them figure it out. It's more valuable to them that way. You can only show the door.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
*this excludes changing moral values/beliefs and specific character traits, as i am pretty sure most would agree that you should always stick to these.
Interestingly some would say I do this quite oftain but in truth I see myself as being more than as simple mold of one complex personality (multi-facet). Therefore, I take on that which is necessary for each situation.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I act completely different depending on who I am around. It is a survival technique. An open racist would not express their ideas at the million man march or a KKK rally.. even on a smaller level though. Noone thinks exactly the same as you, so in order to build relationships with others you do have to in a way compromise yourself. Not saying you have to change your beliefs or anything, just that you might have to express yourself in a different way, or sometmes keep to yourself. But on the other side of the coin, most people tell me that they're favorite quality about me is my uniqueness and how i am myself around any group of people, and this does often turn people on. But thats just because I know what parts of myself different people like and i know how to exploit them on command.. phew hope i didn't confuse, more than myself..

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if you arent changing your morals or belifes or trying to get people to like you i think it's ok to adapt around different people, in fact i think it's common, probably the norm...i find myself changing the way i act around certain people, not who i am, just little things, i think everyone does this, although some people take it to far. like completely changing who you are or haveing no identity of your own,that, in my opinion is totally unhealthy and being fake to boot.

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Agreed MJ,
quote:
t's subcon. that you want to feel accepted...so you do what the other person is doing because you want their acceptance....
but for me it is more concious choice. Some may be offended by an aspect of my being, others may accept those aspects. What aspects [facet] they percieve is dependent upon their attitude & how I choose to deal with it [to an extent].

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yawning is wierd so much so that i've decided to dedicate the rest of my life to the pursuit of knowledge of "the yawn" both human and animal.

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
how many times have i attributed to myself crimes i had never committed so that the other person would feel comfortable in my presence

"dont got one"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy