When I die, I want to die like my grandfather - who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car. - Ana Rpo
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

All Religions are paths to god - Page 3

User Thread
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Please tell me, why do you think there are differences between Gods? most differences are simply a result of the different paths religons have.

That is a good point, an example of this is the story of Noah's ark, it shows up in many religions but with different meanings.

"What is true power?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that isilomir is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
True, the story of the world being flooded shows up multiple times throughout history in various religions and mythologies.

I believe that there are differences in gods specifically because there are differences in people. For instance, two people walking identical religious paths are going to have two unique gods that they see. Each persons god (again whether that be an entity, conciousness, ideal, or whatnot) is shaped by that person, their beliefs and their experiences.

As to the story of the world being flooded, I think I'm just going to chalk that one up in the same area as legends concerning dragons. A good number of distinct, unrelated cultures have stories about dragons, just like they have stories concerning floods. Since so many cultures have stories and legends about dragons, it stands to reason that something like a gigantic fire breathing lizard existed at some point. So I think that a great flood probably happened at somepoint in history, and the cultures of the world each rationalized and recorded it in their own way.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
its extremely intriguing of how accurate the bible in in some circumstances.

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Not to change the subject or anythng but in response to the dragon example...I have always wondered where the nobility of the dragon comes from... I may be wrong but many cultures view them this way.

"What is true power?"
 37yrs • M •
Yes that's true. Dragon's have often been associated with nobility, even in Europe where the dragon slaying legends originate. If I had to hazard a guess at why, I would say that it is because of the power and wealth, both physical and mystical, commonly associated with dragons. If dragons actually did/do exist (whatever you want to believe) then they must have indeed commanded great respect to be so associated throughout the world.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As an aside the presence of dragons in most cultures would indicate that dragons (and or dinosaurs) lived on the earth while humans were present.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
Yes, that would be implied. Though it is possible I guess that humans found the remains of these creatures and, not knowing what they were, created the legends to explain them. Though this seems less likely to me as dragons are known throughout the world with similar characteristics atributed to them.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
That is a good point, an example of this is the story of Noah's ark, it shows up in many religions but with different meanings.
The OT story of the Tower of Babel would be considered soul splintering as deemed by medicinemen?
The cure would be to reunite the shattered aspect of the soul(s). As such each the tribes had common perceptions which formed the nucleus of belief?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
It seems to me that all religions are paths to god, which means that all religions are equal in a sense.
Thoughts?

I agree - All those who seek shall find. For now we see things through a smoky glass, in the end we will see things clearly.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 39yrs • M •
quote:
All those who seek shall find

But if everyone looks for something different why should they find the same thing?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why should evereyone find the same thing? No two people are the same, so why would anyone want to find the same religious path as anyone else?

"He who does not question is lost."
 39yrs • M •
quote:
Why should evereyone find the same thing?

"It seems to me that all religions are paths to god, which means that all religions are equal in a sense"

So if people are not finding the same thing then they are on different paths that may lead to various gods but they are sperate destinations. And if the destination is different how can you say that the methods of travel are equal? If I want to go somewhere near by I might take a bike. But if I wanted to go overseas I would take an airplane. Is a bike equal to an airplane?

37yrs • M •
In the sense that both a bike and an airplane are a method of trave, yes they are equal. You could, in theory ride a bike across the ocean. It would take a hell of a lot longer and you'd have to find some way to survive the pressure and lack of air on the ocean floor, but it could theoretically be done.

Now the person flying might say the airplane is better than the bike because it gets to the destination faster, but both methods of transportation could take you to the same place, thus making them equal on a basic level the same as religion.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes becouse it gets you to where you are going, and no becouse one is used more more slightlly short distances, airplanes are used for very freaking long distances

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
But if everyone looks for something different why should they find the same thing?

Sometimes we don't know what we're looking for until we find it.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
All Religions are paths to god - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy