Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

evolutýon???? - Page 6

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Honestly this is easy. There doesn't have to be a ground floor to anything if you have lots of big fans and enough money to keep them going. Why would it be impossible to start from nothing?

Im going to ignore the fans...
Anyways..
The same reason a car doesn't appear on you out of no where.
But nothing can be certain.
So I give up.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the first living organism was chance... lets start from the begining.

first there were stars, pure energy converted into matter. First they make a hydrogen atom, then 2 hydrogen combine to make heliem, then this keeps happening until every atom up to iron i think it is... then during a super nova, the ammount of energy is so great that every atom on the natural periodic table is made.

These atoms, then pulled together by their own gravity, form planets. Once a planet is formed, pools of lighter chemicals, such as carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and so on. (note hydrogen and oxygen as they will make h2o [water]).

Within these pools nothing realy happens, the atoms just sit there seperate. Then, by a supernova (or other form of energy) going off in the distance of this planet just far enough away not to blow up the planet, but close enough to transfer sufficient energy to the pool of chemicals for hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon to combine into the first single cells organism...

this organism now has a molecular structure that makes it "want" to survive, so it multiplies by taking the other atoms around it to form another organism.

once this starts, it is a chain reaction which can not be stopped (except by excessive energy, enough to create the matter to morph back into energy) and adventually life is created, getting more and more complex through the ages.

When someone dies, their molecules go back into the earth which then go into the the food we eat which then go into our dna which then go into our children which enforces the theory that matter/energy can neither be created or destroyed.

Consider the following: We are still evolving, our natural brain power has increased over the course of humanity... there have been studies to prove that even in the past 200 years we have evolved, and the evolution is increasing in rate. the only problem holding the evolution back is society helping those who havent evolved to survive, and we all know those of lesser intelligence tend to have more children.

But anyway, that is to answer your question

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I watched a scientic show about volcanoes that showed that a living cell was created by the reaction to the lava and the salt water, but it didn't go into any detail about that living cell.

DNA is a very interesting subject, I think there lays the answer.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
lastresort... Um... good effort, but your knowledge of solar chemistry is a bit off.

Stars form from contracting clouds of hydrogen, once the gravity of the presolar mass reaches a critical level, fusion occurs inside the new star, and hydrogen starts getting converted into helium, then the sun goes through its main life cycle just converting hydrogen into helium until it runs out of hydrogen. After that, the sun swells into a red giant, and the core of the sun gets compressed enough for the helium to start fusing, and therefore creating heavier elements.

Depending on the size of the sun, this fusion process stops at a different element stage, be it carbon, or all the way up to uranium, possibly even heavier element that we are unaware of. These elements then get blasted into space by the suns death, or supernova. The shockwave from the blast is powerful enough to sweep through near by nebula and start the process of contraction that will eventuate in a new star or stars being born, and the nebula at the same time gets litered with the elements from that same supernova, so that when the hydrogen contracts, you're left with a ring of heavier elements, which slowly swirl, bump into each other and become planets and asteroids.

As far as life is concerned, at least on this planet, it IS made up of mainly hydrogen, oxygen and carbon. These three elements also happen to be the most common elements in the universe, as well as the fact that most comets are made of these three.

Earth was at one time barren and lifeless, but about 4 billion years ago, scientist believe the earth was bombarded by comets, which is where most of our water comes from. These comets would have brought with them all the essential lighter elements nessisary for life with them from the outer edges of our solar system.

Add all that to the thermo vents at the bottom of the ocean and a few hurdred million years, something is bound to happen with all those chemical reactions taking place!

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well stated both lastresort and xanadoool.

Life on earth is said to have arisen ~3.5 bya, where the earliest prokaryote fossils have been dated (such as the cynobacteria found in stromatalites in Shark Bay, Western Australia). The origin of the first cell is an event of low probability, but this length of time is long enough for an event of low probability to have occured. Yet the earth is ~4.5 billion years old.

Most chemical reactions take place in water, and the protocell undoubtably arose in the ocean. And as you mentioned xanadoool, that these hydothermal vents (found on mid ocean ridges) released the first organic materials. Minerals (iron-nickel sulfides) found in the plumes of hydrothermal vents can catalize the formation of ammonia from Nitrogen and even organic molecules.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Minerals (iron-nickel sulfides) found in the plumes of hydrothermal vents can catalize the formation of ammonia from Nitrogen and even organic molecules.
So then these organic molecules formed living organisms?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hydrothermal vents provide organic molecules, for the development of living organisms (such as cynobacteria). Also the first atmosphereic gases that arose from volcanoes would have contained ammonia, hydrogen and methane. These inorganic chemicals as those thought to be present in the first atomsphere were circulated past an energy source (electricity) and cooled to produce an organic liquid.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 73yrs • M •
Uhmaybeu2 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
A friend of mine said that they (current theorists) have not been able to actually figure out how the Egyptians built the Pyramids because they haven't realized that they built them "from the top down". Lol again. Certainly if I want to make a cake I must envision the necessary ingredients and the method which results in some semblance of what by consensus or myself see as a cake. An idea is not material it seems to me. I mean, does it really exist as a tangible that others can see? You might ask yourself as I am now doing, what does it mean when I am conversation with someone and I say, "Yes. I see what you're saying". Perhaps it sits on the threshold of being. I'm not sure.
Maybe someone will help out here. Plato's definition of idea via Webster: a model or archetype of which all [b]real things are but imperfect imitations. Sometimes when I'm trying to figure out some contraption, I come to "see" the idea behind it and how it suits a particular purpose. Do we have the power of Genesis to merely say "Be. And it was"?

""With what may the Devil not joke?""
evolutýon???? - Page 6
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy