Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Letting Go

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rajpal is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Letting Go
Is it really that easy to let go of the past? From the point of view of someone who faced tragedy in life and cant let go of the idea of "what it use to be" - how do we, its easier said than done. What do you all think?

"If you know the candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago"
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some things we can never forget, but we can overcome the intense pain.

If you've just lost something so dear to you, having nothing to keep you busy will leave you free to remember the pain of that missing spot in your heart. Get busy with something else. Volunteer, get a second job, do something where you would have to account to someone else. It helps ease the pain.

Another way you can look at- instead of telling yourself how great the past was, consider making your present and future even better. It may not fill in the empty space, but it will keep your spirits up.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Don't dwell upon the past. The past has happened and nothing can change it. Life is to unpredictable to focus on the future. The only thing you should look at is the present. What's happening now.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 42yrs • M •
My life was wonderfull in everyway, i was extremely focused and dynamic, my energy was boundless and i felt i could do anything.
But then everything changed, i was suffering from an ilness and didnt even know it (underactive thyroid). I could literally only function for about 5 hours and even then i was mentally and physically drained and couldnt focus on anything. I always felt as though i had no energy what so ever.

It got to the point that when i went to bed each night i simply wished never to awaken again but offcourse i simply awoke the next day for the nightmare to begin again, all drained as if i had slept 10 minutes. As a result i left university which meant allot to me.
Although i have began to sort my life out i feel even today that im a mere shadow of what i once was, ive lost my mojo so to speak, the pain still exists deep witihin. HOW DOES ONE REGAIN THEIR MOJO?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not sure what troubles you have gone through but i'm sure it'll receive my deepest sympathy. I see a man who's lost his way do to an illness. But, I also see a man who's letting it be that way through the need of self pity. Although I am not one to talk. My life has been much of a disney movie so far compared to others. But two paths are presented for you. One a hole of wondering why. The other trying to live the present to full potential.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
give up. give in. accept that shit sucks.
i dont mean on life, give up on stressing things that YOU cannot change.
i held a rubber band around my fathers arm when i was eight so he could inject heroine. he left when i was 13, i realize that people go through this all the time and i still had the most beautiful gift, life. so i concentrated on just that. i realize that its quite the different circumstance and i sympathize with you greatly. i could not imagine being affected directly by a disease of my own body but living with a father who was addicted to numerous drugs and alcohol i was affected directly being a kid in need of a fathers support. i can talk about it as tho ihave no emotions invested because i learned it does me no good to dwell on the things that are out of our control. i doubt this helped... i dont even know if it was on point but i felt the need to portray some of thethigns i went through and what has helped me cope.

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is a quote on UG I think I remeber how it goes.....

Dont be sad that it is over, be happy that it happened at all.

I know that is little help to you however it may help you find a path to follow that will end in your mind being at peace.

Overall it is mind over matter if you can actually set your mind to doing whatever you need to do to get back to where you were before, then you will achieve what you want. The mind is a powerfull thing if used properly. Now thats the hard part.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i feel you man, really. but you are endeavoring towards the wrong premis. it is not to let go of our past, but to let go of ourselves.

"dont got one"
 42yrs • M •
Ive been thinking allot about this and finally today i realised how great life is - i realised how sick i was of dwelling on the past and self pity, now i feel focused on the future and with the new year coming i hope to make a fresh start!

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that earthenwings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That's great that you've realized what the handicap was, but you don't have to wait for the new year. Each day is the beginning of something new. It just depends on how you decide to shape it. Kudos to you. ^_^

""...Not every fight is worth fighting." Hold me to it."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There are somethings that Happen to that you will never forget...Drilled so far into your head because of it's impact on you.

Like when a vvery friend of mine died five years ago right in my arms on the hospital bed. I remember It like I just got back from the hospital.. The sudden flat line; people screaming... not something you can forget.

Probably doesn't help That I still have his necklace that he gave me just before leaving me.. haven't taken it off since.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 42yrs • M •
wow thats devastating, it is true though, some things have such an impact on our lives that it can be almost impossible to forget. The key is to move on as best you can.

Letting Go
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy