Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why say 'life doesnt matter' without god

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
im just curious.. What is the psychological motive for saying "life is pointless/doesnt matter if there is no god".. whether your call yourself an "athiest" "agnostic" or a "thiest" im sure you can analyze the tendency for yourself to say that and see why(motive) it is for you to say that...

ill say here.. that things such as morals do matter at least in a time period without a god they can still matter.. you care what people think of you you care for others and yourself and have pleasures from this.. maybe in the after life there is another 'game' you do that matters for 'you' whatever you are at that stage.. is it only becasue you want to be rewarded for your moral behavior in a more exterme way than in this reality? is that why youd say life is pointless without a god.. because then you wont goo to heaven and or be rewarded in some way after??.. this is selfish but normal i suppose

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Partially you are right. Without God we can still find Morals, and Values as reasons to live. But disspiate this fact I still do not agree with you. Simply because if there is no God. Then we ultimetly have no purpose. There is no Logical Reason to live. Yes be "nice" for nices sake. If we as humans never reach the "mental level" of God (existing or not) then we will forever be nothing. Thus no real reason. Some might argue that with out God then we can live for love, for truely it is worth havening, but without God then love for you or anyone is not guarnteed. In fact if there were not a God, then satatics would say that in all likely hood you will die tommrrow. And furter more Man and his given self, will not continue in it's present condtion with out the existence of God. Eventually we as a race will all be dead. Without God, that is.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Atlantis5 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The psychological motive for saying life is pointless or doesn't matter without God, could be that whoever says, writes or expresses this, has difficulties imagining his or her life without the possibility of prayer or religious expression, thus a lack of sense of being protected by an unknown, invisible force (compare it with getting separated from your family and lost in the mall, as a child).

Basejumpers think the same. Only their God is called Anti-Gravity and their rationalist friend is called Parachute.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives you the test first, and the lesson afterwards."
 39yrs • M •
not completely true. You are assuming that everyone feels the need for a God to protect them, and true, most people do. But some people like myself can live without God's protection but still find life pointless without him. The qustion isn't one of protection as you have suggestied, but one of the absentness of reason in life with out a God.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 40yrs • M •
Conway, I'm happy for you that you can live your life without God's protection but that you think life is pointless either way has little to do with the essence of Patape's request.

Although this thread is posted in the Theories/Philosophy on Life section, Patape requests a psychological motive, a reasoning of the human mind, not a spiritual or philosophical explanation or question. There is a difference.

And please state where I make the assumption that everyone (including yourself) feels the need for a God to protect them. I hope you read closely enough to understand that this is an answer to a psychological question, and nothing else.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives you the test first, and the lesson afterwards."
 40yrs • M •
hmm and so conway it seems it is the reward (not neccesailry support from god during your life) but that you are in some way rewarded for moral behaviour you did in this form of living afterwards? i guess that can also be just sharing this lifes experince with others in "heaven" or wherever.. or else can seem that this life will go to waste? i think i can defintly relate in some way for something like that afterwards to happen.. for experience and making efforts ni things such as morals to lead somewhere.. have gaining.. like we all hate that feeling when palying a video game and you almost reach the top level.. then you die and have to start all over again.. but in another way at least that is added to experience which causes some improvements as we all know.. would that analogy work with afterlife (die here but efforts in experince will casue certain improvements if you will..sorry im just ihnking as im typing..

39yrs • M •
Dear Atlantis5

My apologies. For of course you did not exactly state that we all want protection from God. But the Phsycologicall Motive behind it is suggested as the reason why people beleive in God. And while this is partly true, it is not completely so. We beleive because we have to. There is nothing with out God. No reason to live a thousand lifes. No reason for heaven. Without god there is nothing. With out God there is no point. And while it is possible to live without God there is no logic to it. In short it is best for us all it god does exist.

Further more my freind all physcology is derived in one form or fashion by philososphy, and sprituality. Proof

Phsycology=study of MInds
Philosopy=study of Souls
And of course we all know that Minds=Souls.

39yrs • M •
Dear patape

Well said, well said.

40yrs • M •
Dear Conway,

I highly respect, accept and appreciate your apology. You seem like a very reasonable individual to me.

Psychology as you know it is a relatively young branch of social science which concerns itself with behaviour of the individual. At least, that's what my professors and books tell me at school. The mind cannot be studied properly, because simply, it does not lend itself to be. What is a mind? We still don't know exactly.

All I did was what Patape asked; a scientific, objective psychological (a behavioral) motive for a certain type of behavior, in this case an expression of an individual. Answering with religious reasons would not be very scientific.

I would far from disagree with you, let alone trying to tell you all this, if Patape's question did not involve the words psychological motive.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 39yrs • M •
What purpose is there in God?

Let us not forget love. Let us not forget Joy. Let us not forget happiness. Let us not forget children. Let us not forget family. Let us not forget freindship. Let us not forget every good thing in existence. For these are things that make us want to live. These things touch us in profoundley unexplainable ways. For these the ,vast majority of our individual minds would do or give anything to have.

39yrs • M •
Dear Atlantis5

Or course you have an entirely logical point. I do have a tendencey to lean all qusetions towards God and Philosophy in some form or fashion.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 40yrs • M •
actually maybe my analogy didint work.. becasue playing our life form as we know it compared with playing a vdeio game we get pleasure from succeeding.. so if die before succeed can be pissed but goal of vidoe game = to finish succeding.. so this life too happy when succed our plans goals the award being i dont know positive attetnion from people.. feel confident after experince.. have fun love othes yourlsef involve pleasures (differnt kinds?) experince have fun philosphizing etc etc.. When you beat the video game you want to move on happy with your achievement.. dont want to play it all over again.. (well i guess can counter argue antytring liek that with expetionis) but u know im sayin..) happy what you achved in this life (then again i guess theres a possiblity in death where you migh not move on) so maybe analogy didnt work theere.. but motive for saying life pointelss without god.. ok i get it becasue you wouldnt be able to move on? hold on ill have to think again.. too many themes jugglin now.. prb good for brian tho.. but yea i mean feel good once did goals show peopel who you cared to show.. spirtual = more but can sitll argue ou want.. rrr cant let go.. ill come back next week

39yrs • M •
Dear Patape.

More or less........yeah your right.

Simply though is to say, that all these things that I have listed (with or without God's existence), are the things that are the accumulation of every thing anyone could want. Even the people who want money and rich's, and fame, It all goes back to the simple fact of happiness. Even though in this case, the fools don't realise that these things can not bring true happiness. But the point is these things for "unxeplainable reason's", make us want to live\exist.
So the question is "if we exist and we know that we exist. We have self awarness. And if this is so then it is better that God exist, because only through the benvolant powers of an Omnipotent God, can we reach a level of mental awarness on the same level as this God.
For if God didn't exist then we can never reach that level. Which makes "all life" pointless, even if we realived it a thousand times (reincarnation), it would be pointless.

"If we exist it is better to live in the "good" rather then the "bad" ".

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy