The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path ot Salvation is hard. - Katha-Upanishad
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why is jesus story so powerful

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this might be directed more for the people who dont absolutley belive in truths about the jesus story (as being true independent of the story in this common sense reality).. but not just directed to athiests and agnositics.. can you think of reasons (psychological) of why this idea(s) spread so well around the world amung human beings?.. how we realte to it, beniftis we gain from it etc.. its atttraction... etc.. can you think of reasons why it is so poweful for us to relaly belive in it.. peace

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
one reason i think it feels so good to relieve your guilty consiense and to pay fot it i some way (beliveve someone acknoledges you acknolding your sins)

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 58yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that RaTyphon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
For the same reason there's a dude with a hook for a hand hiding in the bushes in pretty much every rural back road waiting to scare the bejeezuuus out of you and your girlfriend. People want to believe. And as long as people want to believe the thing they are believing is going to exist no matter what facts to the contrary surface.

Hello Nessy.....

""I do not wish my pockets to be searched.""
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe Jesus existed. Once in a while great people pop up. We had Mother Teresa and Ghandi. Whether Jesus was bon from a virgin or the son of God who died for our sins; that he is the way to God is very questionable. If I've interpreted rihtly that the only way is tnrough him or hell, thats woking on fear. Would Ghandi not be accepted by God?, he had access to the Bible, read it, but wasn't a Christian, yet he was far more vrtuous than the vast, vast majority of Christians.

I think Jesus meant well. However, the way to God is through Jesus, is secondary to the way to God is through you.

why not be a living Jesus?

""No words""
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The reason Jesus story is so powerful is because it is the Truth.

We have been created to know this truth and when you find it you will know it.

It is not by good works that we get to heaven thankfully. It is by Gods grace, nothing else. It is the only way we can have certainty of going to heaven. It has got nothing to do with reading the Bible, going to church, singing worship songs etc. It is by grace alone so no man can boast and all men can be certain.

How can we be certain? When you become 'born again' we have Gods spirit within us and he testifies to the Truth about God.

Grace alone, nothing else.

That gives peace not fear.

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 41yrs • M •
So Ghandi wasn't a Christian; he didn't have grace by God because of this so he's going to hell. Come on.... Grace is just a word with no meaning here.Try dreaming a little dream tonight.

""No words""
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Strongclad is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
"So Ghandi wasn't a Christian; he didn't have grace by God because of this so he's going to hell. Come on.... Grace is just a word with no meaning here.Try dreaming a little dream tonight."

However ridiculous or unfair this may seem, it is still the claim of "Christians" and therefore the claim of their God that there is Heaven and Hell, and coinciding with this, the salvation or damnation of a person's soul.

Truly heyjme1, you must be acquainted with the definition of "Grace" within the context of Jesus claim somewhat. It's pretty obvious what Christians mean when they say this - and also to say the Bible spells this out in numerous places. Haven't you heard the song "Amazing Grace?"

quote:
"I believe Jesus existed. Once in a while great people pop up. We had Mother Teresa and Ghandi. Whether Jesus was bon from a virgin or the son of God who died for our sins; that he is the way to God is very questionable. If I've interpreted rihtly that the only way is tnrough him or hell, thats woking on fear. Would Ghandi not be accepted by God?, he had access to the Bible, read it, but wasn't a Christian, yet he was far more vrtuous than the vast, vast majority of Christians."

Yet virtue - although a goal that Christians (and non-Christians) try to strive for and constantly fail - is not the concern of the God of the Bible. In knowing that failure is in our nature from the very inception of our lives, we have been given a chance to be redeemed for our failures (sin). This redemption is given free (grace) by accepting Jesus as our sacrifice, what he has done, and taking his words to heart. Although Ghandi may have been a phenominal person, he still wasn't a follower of Christ.

I don't know much about Ghandi, but if he was teaching others contrary to the truth of God, after receiving the truth of God, then he was against God. Not for Him.

I'm sorry I'm so blunt, I just like to state things plainly. Hope you don't mind.

But going along these lines, I know that many are bitter to the claim that all who don't have faith in the Judeo-Christian God are going to Hell. Forgetting about Hell and the fact that we don't really know whether it's "fire and brimstone", complete destruction, or just separation from God, suppose that after sifting through the claims that Jesus and Christians have made about the good stuff about God, Salvation, and "Life to the full" and if finding that this stuff really is good, is there reason not to have faith in God?

And more importantly, if this seems unreasonable to people, does it nullify God's claim if true, nonetheless?

All I'm saying is if people do not want to choose faith in Jesus and believe in the Judeo-Christian God, they don't have to. This is the way God has created us. With free will.

Although the Spirit may testify to the truths about Jesus and his Father, this is not the only testimony. We have the testimonies of the Apostles from the individual gospels and letters in the Bible. We have the written testimonies of Christian men who were contemporaries of the Apostles which attest to the authorship of the books of the New Testament. There are also writings of non-Christian contemporaries of Jesus and the Apostles - that's right, NON-Christians - who bear testimony to Jesus and his signs and wonders, his crucifixion, and the spread of christianity throughout the eastern continents. Our Bible has been shown to be 99.95% unchanged based on the vast quantity of manuscripts, some of which date to within 100 years after Jesus death.

The evidences for Jesus add up amazingly. These evidences give Christians confidence in what they believe because they know that their faith doesn't have to be a blind leap. That's another reason people believe the Jesus story.

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
[  Edited by Strongclad at   ]
 48yrs • M •
The reason people find so many objections to the gospel is not because it has been found lacking in anyway, but that it would require the person to bend the knee to Christ if true. People like being in control.

When you become a Chrisitan you give up that right to be in control.

Strongclad is right. The evidence for Jesus is overwhelming if one takes off their secular glasses. We live in a culture where the Christian faith has been attacked by so called 'science'. If one looks at the evidience objectivley, one can see the truth of the Bible.

41yrs • M •
I think that the way to God is through Jesus is only true because Jesus knew that God resided in him, as God rests in all of us. The Bible is a way of helping others see the way through all the fog. The way I see it is that 'some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them'. Ocassionally some people, like Jesus, and like Ghandi are born great, and yes, the become greater through learning, but the idea is that in order to express a spiritual connection to people who live in a material world, the 'word' will never be pure enough to let them 'feel' truly spiritual because language is flawed and, ultimately, the human mind can only take or give s much.

""No words""
 48yrs • M •
Jesus is not just a good, moral man. He didnt leave that option open to us. He is either who he claimed to be (the Son of God) or a mad man. Those are our only options.

Examine history.

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No, PeteSmith, that's wrong, those are not our only options. Just because you believe you're the son of God does not make you a mad man. Christianity teaches that we are all children of God, so if anyone said that they were a son or daughter of God then they would be correct, whether they were the direct manifestation of God or not. If you've ever read some material on non-dulaity, there are some interesting concepts that suggest that Jesus called himself the son of God to open his followers up to the concept that all humans are, in fact, God, and there was no separation of God and man. The concept that we are all, in fact, Jesus and vice versa.

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jesus was the legitimate Son of God, the rest of us are adopted

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that takemeseriously is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
And what parents abandoned us in order to become adopted by God?

"If home is where the heart is, then I got evicted this week (Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains)"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Those who are not children of God are children of Satan.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • F •
But Satan doesn't have the power to create humans, only to influence them. God created humans, therefore, if you believe in God, we are all God's children.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy