The best definition of man is: a being that goes on two legs and is ungrateful. - Fyodor Dostoyevsy
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Time and Absolute Zero

User Thread
 33yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that crescent24 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time and Absolute Zero
Okay this is kind of farfetched but humor me for a second. What if all matter in the entire universe (assuming it's finite) cooled to absolute zero: the temperature at which all particles stop moving. Would change and therefore the flow of time stop? Or is time a characteristic of space, independent of the stuff inside it?

"Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Depends on how you look at it. If you believe time stops when no one can observe it then yes it would stop but if time moves external to observation then it wouldn't matter at all.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
time is just an existant factor of the universe it would not stop just everything elze and yes i speeled else with a z on purpose.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
consider the following ( yay bill nye the science guy):

time is nonexistant... time is just our ability to compair two objects. as long as something is moving, even if its inside of us, "time," and i use the term loosely, will carry on.

therefore, if we reach absolute zero, theoretically movement even on a molecular level, stops... this would mean that we would no longer to be able to compare movement in objects and "time" is stop.

it is because of this that the question of time stopping is stupid, because the only way to stop time is to stop everything from moving, and if everything stops moving, we would never be able to see time stop, and once stuff starts moving again, we would have no recollection of time ever stopping... we would think we got REALLY REALLY close.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes, agreed.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 33yrs • F •
this question has a lot to do with absolute reality so here are my thoughts:

If absolute reality doesn't exist at all, that would be contradictory because that statement is an absolute in itself. Therefore, some sort of objective reality must exist. Whether time is included here, I am not certain. - All this is subject to change anyway. Time stopping isn't as implausible as some think seeing as how it can be distorted around black holes or as the speed of an object aproaches the speed of light But then again, that's not the absolute stop of time.

What counts as an observer? Does it have to be alive? Does it have to be human?

35yrs • M •
there is some truth to waht you said crescent.

as you approach a black hole, there is a point that is, in reality, impossible to reach. ill explain why later....

anyway, at this point, you are being pulled into the black whole at the same time being pushed away. this means that time has essentially stopped. there is no light, there is nothing.

the reason for this point being impossible to reach is inertia. as gravity pulls you towards a blackhole, or as you just travel towards its.... your inertia increases and when you reach that point, you'd just go straight past it into the black hole.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yes, regarding the black holes, 'time' as a whole doesn't stop. It will only appear to stop for observers on earth observing the man being sucked into the black hole. But even this is just an illusion, as the signals from the astronauts watch would stop, and to the observers on earth, his time would stand still.
crescent, realistically speaking absolute time can never stop, perhaps until the end of the universe, but this is not a realistic topic anyway.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Before one attempts to question whether 'time' stops or is continuous, one should instead question how you define 'time' as, and how you value 'time'. What is 'time'? is it socially constructed or is it a form of external reality? but then again some view reality as a human construct. very interesting.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
time is a mortal construct. only habit keeps it. note the difference between human beings and humans being

""No words""
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
exactly. I see it as a mortal human construct. time only exists in the mind.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 33yrs • F •
so therefore time didn't exist before humans evolved? I think other animals have a concept of time as well so time can exist outside of a human mind.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No, time exists independent of the observer, but time is affected by the speed of light, and we have been able to stop light by shining it into a cloud or something and then cooling it to almost absolute zero, so i guess that you could argue that time was stopped inside the cloud.

as for time being a human construct, there's no way that it could be, because humans evolved from other beings, and that takes time. but if time really is a human construct, then we wouldn't be here. also if time was a human construct, then we would be able to alter reality (slow down, speed up time. think MATRIX) just by thinking.

"He who does not question is lost."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
also if time was a human construct, then we would be able to alter reality (slow down, speed up time. think MATRIX) just by thinking.

i see this as possible.

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
quote:
also if time was a human construct, then we would be able to alter reality (slow down, speed up time. think MATRIX) just by thinking.

i think i mentioned the ability to slow time in one of my other threads....

because time is just human compairison of two moving objects, it can be done.

if you look around, you'll find some of my examples where i have actually seemed to slow time down, and other people say "wo that was in slow motion..." i'm sure you've had some experiences like that too.

Time and Absolute Zero
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy