I was working on a flat tax proposal and I accidentally proved there's no god. - Homer Simpson
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Time and Absolute Zero - Page 2

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One day we will wake up and notice that the two objects moving are just products of the quantum soup; the matrix; cosmic intelligence. in fact anything materialistic is the product of infinite intelligence and thought. thus the product can change into what will.

i think therefore i am!

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No, animals have no awareness of time, as you need memory for that, the ability to compare two different events and establish this happened then and this happened then.
Animals only have awareness of 'this moment'.
we have been able to stop light by shining it into a cloud or something and then cooling it to almost absolute zero, so i guess that you could argue that time was stopped inside the cloud.

quote:
we have been able to stop light by shining it into a cloud or something and then cooling it to almost absolute zero, so i guess that you could argue that time was stopped inside the cloud.

st.jimmy, what you said about the cloud is the same thing, everything stopped inside the cloud, thus time stopped.

quote:
as for time being a human construct, there's no way that it could be, because humans evolved from other beings, and that takes time.

don't see what this has got to do with anything

quote:
but if time really is a human construct, then we wouldn't be here

why?

quote:
also if time was a human construct, then we would be able to alter reality (slow down, speed up time. think MATRIX) just by thinking.

The ability to imagine is a human construct, that doesn't mean that whatever we imagine becomes real. Time arises simply because we can compare two different events. Don't see how this gives us supernatural powers.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
agreed

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TRANCEND is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
AS FOR THE UNIVERSE "COOLING" TO ZERO, THAT WOULD ACTUALLY BE "WARMING", MOST OF THE UNIVERSE IS FAR BELOW ZERO, WITH THE EXEPTION OF BEING A STAR OR VERY CLOSE TO A STAR, WHICH EMITS HEAT.

AS FOR TIME STOPPING, MATTER MOVING OR NOT MOVING DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH STOPPING TIME, BUT I CAN UNDERSTAND WHERE THE QUESTION COMES FROM, TIME CAN'T BE STOPPED, IT'S ONGOING, WITHOUT BEGINNING WITHOUT END.

BECAUSE TWO OBJECTS OR EVENTS CAN BE COMPARED, WE ARE ABLE TO CONCLUDE THAT THERE IS A TIME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM,THIS HOWEVER, DOES NOTHING TO PROVE THAT TIME CAN BE STOPPED, ALL IT PROVES IS THAT WE HAVE THE INTELLECT TO PERCEIVE TIME.

TO STOP EVERYTHING FROM MOVING IS TO STOP THE OBSERVATION OF TIME NOT TO STOP TIME ITSELF.

"\WHEN YOU CANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
 35yrs • M •
really? if everything stops, if things stop to age, stop to grow, stop to think, to feel, how will time go on?

36yrs • M •
SAME WAY IT GOES ON WITH AGE, GROWTH, THINKING, AND FEELING.

33yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that crescent24 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"AS FOR THE UNIVERSE "COOLING" TO ZERO, THAT WOULD ACTUALLY BE "WARMING", MOST OF THE UNIVERSE IS FAR BELOW ZERO, WITH THE EXEPTION OF BEING A STAR OR VERY CLOSE TO A STAR, WHICH EMITS HEAT."

Just as clarification, I'm not talking about 0 degrees F or C, but 0 degrees Kelvin, the temperature at which all sub atomic paritcles stop moving

"Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
animals have no awareness of time, as you need memory for that...Animals only have awareness of 'this moment'

I gathered your refering to non-human animals. However many animals have memory and awareness of time. It is their level of consciousness that is limited.

Time is infinite. Time exists in a realm externally from matter. When matter is 'frozen' at zero Kelvin( -273 degrees celsius or -459 degrees fahrenheit) time continues on. Time does not slow down with temperature, actvity does. Time is independent of temperature.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M •
hmmm, so if everything stops, how will time go on? If the universe stops, how will time 'flow'?

37yrs • M •
Time is infinite meaning time has never started nor will it stop. It is a continual flow for eternity. Time exists externally from the movement and temperature of matter. If the universe stopped, that is time. Time is always everywhere. Wherever anything is, there will always be time. Without time there is nothing.

35yrs • M •
Anyone can claim that this is so and so, again and again simply saying \time is eternal' is not enough. Right now, we can see time taking effect all around us. My body is changing, my face will be different 5 years from now, that tree will be different ten years from now, that mountain will be different a hundered years from now- thus one can conclude that there is time. But if none of this happens, if everything stops, how can you say time will still flow? How will it flow?

quote:
If the universe stopped, that is time.

I d love to hear how.

Lets say everything stops, say the stone stops to age. One can say, even if it stops to age, time intervals can still be measured, i.e this much time has passed so far- but since we too will hav stopped this cannot occur. Ofcourse one can present another point and say that time can flow from an indepndant viewpoint, regardless wheather we are aware or not.

37yrs • M •
quote:
how can you say time will still flow?

I have thought about this extensively. First there was time, then came the sensation of time, then the idea of time, and finally the word "time". Flow of time involves putting context into it- past, present and future. Flow is reflected in the change over time of truth values. As for me-there are 2 types of time meanings-
1. measurement of time (socially constructed- internal) and
2. absolute time (external).
measurement of time?- We invented it, not the universe. Time is a concious experience. Measured time is nothing in reality but exists only in the mind's apprehension of that reality. However 'real' or external time for me does not need to be measured. It can't be measure. This 'real' time exists externally from the mind, where it has no relative date. This time is independent of matter movement/temperature. If the universe froze then time will continue to flow. Time exists even when there are no events. I believe there was no beginning and there will be no end (time is infinite) and therefore internal (socially constructed) time is irrelevent. Being independant from all matter doesn't mean it can't affect matter. It just means that time is continual regardless of any matter. If time stops, the capacity to observe time stops.

There have been three major theories of time's flow:
1. time flow is an illusion (most popular by physicists) for which I disagree on.
2. it is not an illusion but rather is subjective, being deeply ingrained due to the nature of our minds.
3. it is objective, a feature of the mind-independent reality. If your interested- its called the "dynamic theory" of time. This theory says that the boundary separating the future from the past is the moment at which undetermined becomes determined, and "becoming" has the same meaning as "becoming determined."

Some philosophers say that an event's "changing" from being future to being present, or from being present to being past, only changes in relationship to the observer. Kinda like saying time flow is a myth.

food for thought....

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This whole thread started with the proposal that if everything stopped vibrating, time might stop.

But even if everything stopped moving, there is still gravity, and time/space. So eventually, things will start bumping into one another again, and everything will eventually become energised again.

All of these 'bumping-intos' will occur over 'time'. Thus, time will still exist. Even if you want to measure time an effect of light traveling through space, even if all the suns in the universe froze in an instant, their light would continue on indefinately. So time would still exist then too.

But as every part of your being is suddenly dropped to absolute zero, time - for you - will come to and end, so you could say that if you cease to exist, time does as well...

But please, keep on trying. I see a lot of thought going into some of these threads.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
gravity has to do with stuff moving, so no... there will be no gravity if everything stops

36yrs • M •
PUT IT THIS WAY, THE UNIVERSE IS ONLY SO OLD. AT ONE POINT IN TIME THERE WAS NO UNIVERSE, JUST NOTHINGNESS, BUT NOW WE KNOW THERES A UNIVERSE. SO THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A TIME FLOW TO GO FROM NOTHING TO SOMETHING, EVEN WHEN THERE WAS NOTHING OF MATTER, THERE WAS TIME.

Time and Absolute Zero - Page 2
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy