We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

christians?

User Thread
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that for the better is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
christians?
hey i was just wondering if anyone here is a devoted christian?

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Religious: yes. Christian: no. To me religion is personal.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
To me religion is personal.

What exactly are you trying to say by that?

And I consider myself to be a devoted Christian.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 41yrs • F •
well im really interested in christianity. i know the basics of it but instead of reading up on it i waswondering if someone would talk to me about it. you know explain its beauty its uglyness its purpose its "rules" whatever it entails because i dont know the ins and outs. i am open minded and curious

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there are a bajillion different sects of christianity, all with their own interpretation of the bible. the main thing for most sects is that you have to accept jesus as the son of God. after that its all open to interpretation.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • F •
yeah i already know that, but i am looking for someone to explain the concepts to me the basics, not the personalized beliefs or anything

39yrs • M •
Largely the difference in sects lies not in the interpretation of the Bible but rather in what each group has found to be the most important part.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, I had better qualify what I mean by personal, before I am misunderstood.

It seems to me the religious order to which people generally ascribe themselves is a product of where and when they were born and the influences they have had in their lives. I say generally, because some escape. All worrks on the sects and denominations of religions have core messages but are subject to interpretation. All views are alsightly different; all hold different keys to unlock doors. So, I feel, religions is in essence personal although through writings it is made as a consensus.

Let me explain. I feel a personal God unessecary. That to me is normally a human kind however you wish to disguise it. And inevitably it is not God speaking through you but really yourself. People should not have fear in their lives that if they act bad they will go to Hell and if they do good they will go to heaven; the idea is absurd! Rather free will is all about making choices. All true religion needs is for a person to recognise how small and tiny their brains are in trying to grasp reality (and this includes the real God) and a code of ethics. And so I have two quotes that I take from the Bible:

'Do unto others as you would have do unto you'
'Love thy neighbour as thyself'

Conviction in the Bible reduces belief in science. It is religion at the moment that is causing fanaticism becuase of difference...there can only be one truth...Open our eyes.

Science I feel is more universal; religion is too. But the problem is the former has consensus; the latter does not. Therefore for now, religion is personal.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
quote:
Personally, the most important aspect of Christianity to note is the "all are born sinners" concept.

Actually the most important aspect in Christianity lies in the phrase "it is finished!' These are the words Jesus spoke when He freed us from the 'guilty mentality'.

39yrs • M •
quote:
That sounds like a "guilty mentality" to me!

Then you are misinformed. Sure we are born sinners and if the story ended there it would be a guilty mentality but there is more to the story. Jesus saved us and we who believe can live in peace and joy because we have this hope in a resurrected saviour.

39yrs • M •
quote:
How do you escape that?

Because the belief that Jesus died to pay for my sins means that I am no longer a condemned sinner. I have no need to feel guilt because God has forgiven me.

41yrs • F •
i understand the concept of having a 'guilty mentality'. but it isnt ( obviously ) a constant feeling. how do you escape feeling like a sinner? i try totally eliminating any sort of sin in my life. like, if you were born with a disease, you would know its there, think about it as little as possible and find things that overshadow the negative aspects of your disease.

i believe we are all born sinners, yes i do.
but i dont believe the guilt comes with it. thats what separates the 'good' and 'evil' people. 'good' people are born sinners, feel guilt, and try to change their ways. 'Evil' people are born sinners, and just live their life. they realize their mistakes but do little to better themselves ( spiritually )

hmm.. being completly exempt of sin would take years and years and years. and if you were a true christian, i dont think you'd even accept that phrase of yourself because youd always think of your past sinful actions and feel the tinyest guilt.

41yrs • F •
i dont view it as a 'diseased' feeling, i just use my "guilt" as a personal reminder that i dont have to be here. for some reason, i was allowed to live. i also dont feel diseased or anything awful because i accept the fact that sin is natural and inborn. i dont try and deny or forget my sins because sometimes backing away from God( sinning, experimenting, living " recklessly " ) has always made the returning to Him even more rewarding and emotional.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so, in order to truly appreciate or become fulfilled by christianity, one must accept that they use to be a bad person as well as become an even worse person before finally coming to their senses.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 39yrs • M •
All people are born sinners and one must acknowledge that sinful nature but one becomes a Christian by accepting that Jesus has made them new (no longer condemned sinners) and that is why this guilt complex is not a driving point to Christianity. In fact if you dwell on your sinfulness then you are actually sinning because you are ignoring the gift that God has given.

christians?
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy