We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing - Attolia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Death Penalty - Page 4

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No, you're wrong, the definition says that the infliction of severe physical or psychological pain as a deterrent or punishment was illegal, not all types of punishment are illegal. And, is it just me, or do you actually support what they did in abughraib? I'll bet you'll think differently about torture when they start using those same methods in american prisions, and it will happen.
Just becasue it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not wrong.

"He who does not question is lost."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
do you actually support what they did in abughraib?

I have no support for their behaviour it was completely uncalled for but not all torture is as such. Putting a person in prison in the first place is a form of psychological torture would you like to see this practice stopped?

quote:
I'll bet you'll think differently about torture when they start using those same methods in american prisions

I think these things already do happen in American prisons, ask yourself where the soldiers in Abu Ghraib got the ideas.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M •
quote:
Putting a person in prison in the first place is a form of psychological torture would you like to see this practice stopped?

No, of course not. I would like to see the death penalty stopped, but I think that prisions are unfortunately necessary.

quote:
I think these things already do happen in American prisons, ask yourself where the soldiers in Abu Ghraib got the ideas.

I'm sure they do use some of those very same methods in american prisions, but to a much lesser degree because the government, and the public are watching. The reason it was allowed to hapen there is because nobody was watching. As fot the american prisions, the US government should be watching them more, so that this type of torture cannot continue, but I think we should also not put quite so many people in prision to begin with. The US has a greater percent of it's population in prision than any other country in the entire world, and yet the bush administration does nothing to change this. Having the greatest percentage of people in prision does not point to good law enforcement. It points to too many laws.

39yrs • M •
My idea for corporal and capital punishment is designed to keep many people out of prisons. If you physically punish someone then they receive the punishment right then and there and they can continue to live and be productive. People cannot be helped unless they want to be, so in the case of those who are bent on destruction and refuse to adjust their behaviour we give death. To the rest we inflict pain and humiliation on them and then they go back to their lives after paying the price due for their crime. In time you would lower crime you would need less police fewer jails and save millions in tax dollars.

35yrs • M •
Yes, but that's what we're already doing in the US, and it's not working here. In europe, they have a much lowercrime rate, amd they've abolished the death penalty in almost every european country. If the death penalty worked, the US would be better off.

39yrs • M •
Lower crime rate is hardly an indication. Sweden has a low divorce rate because fewer people get married. As it turned out more couples were separating but as they weren't married it does not count as divorce. Take away the laws and people simply cannot commit a crime but that doesn't mean their behaviour has a less negative impact on society as a whole. The death penalty only doesn't work because people are afraid to use it notice that not all the states even allow it. If people were allowed to exercise real punishment for crimes then people might stop and think before they do something illegal.

35yrs • M •
quote:
The death penalty only doesn't work because people are afraid to use it notice that not all the states even allow it. If people were allowed to exercise real punishment for crimes then people might stop and think before they do something illegal.

The death penalty didn't work even when every state allowed it. We used to kill people for being witches, but if burning "witches" at the stake really worked, then we would have stopped killing witches before we figured out that witches didn't exist. Allowing the state to kill convicted felons lowers the state to the level of the felons, and the death penalty affects the executioner as well. After all, someone has to do the killing. Europe figured out that the death penalty doesn't work, why can't we?

39yrs • M •
Killing witches was an arbitrary system of judgement I am not suggesting that we shoot people in order to prove their guilt. I am suggesting that after finding someone guilty beyond any reasonable doubt then have him executed. This is not population control it is justice. If you don't like dying then don't be a murderer.

43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Unclassified is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i'm definitely for the death penalty if the offence justly warrants it, and it's definitely cheaper to go ahead and off the offender instead of life imprisonment w/o parole....we all have to die sometime, and if you live by the sword you can die by it also....

"Do what YOU want to do in life, not what everyone else does..."
Death Penalty - Page 4
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy