Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Discipline

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Discipline
Do you think that it's ok to smack your child so as to discipline him/her? I know that some people would never lay a hand on their child, but other parents are ok with it. I personally would lightly smack my child as a form of discipline, but also talking things over is important so they understand why they're being disciplined. What are your thoughts?

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
[  Edited by WanderingNobody at   ]
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This might sound crude but children are like animals when they are young and don't have a concept of understanding, you cant explain to a child why this is bad if they have no perception of what you are going on about, so yes physically disciplining your child when they are young makes sense to me, 'every time I do this I feel pain on my arse so it cant be good' ,but as soon as they are old enough to understand common logic it is no longer necessary and you can mentally/emotionally discipline them

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
violence creates violence. hitting in any form is unacceptable.

yes children learn pain is not good, they also learn that pain can be used to their advantage.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
While that is true how you do suppose we should raise a child?
I know that places in America it becomes nearly impossible because you cant even verbally reprimand your child or you have a world of trouble.

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i belive that spanking is ok to a certain age....a child should never be hit in the face,or caused any real harm....and guess what....my mother used to beat the shit out of me on a regular basis for nothing until i was 15 and got away from her for good.....so i know that hitting a child can cause a lot more than physical pain....but, and this is a big but, there is a difference between a spank on the arse to let a young child know they've done wrong and abuse

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
 40yrs • M •
there are ways fairy boy. i was never once spanked, slapped or otherwise abused in a physical manner. i was put in time out and had previledges taken away from me. and trust me, i wasnt an easy kid to raise.

hitting is lazy.

32yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that lauren52891 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i agree with wyote...i do not think hitting is the correct form of punishing...it can cause life long scars...my mom punished me that way and i know that i will never punish my children like that!!!

62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've never felt the need to strike at my daughters.

There are times when I wonder, had I spanked them, would they be more disciplined? I was spanked, and understand why; it's just not a form of punishment I believe enforcing on my girls.

Besides, they're both in karate and could probably kick my ass.

41yrs • F •
to make it clear...i only think spanking is appropriate for small children once a child reaches a certain age they can understand reasoning and you can have a conversation with them....then i think spanking is pointless and inapropriate...i work with children and you know what....some of them need to be spanked....they are out of control,spoiled and dont care if you put them in a time out, i think their parents need to give them a good spanking to let them know that they can't just do what ever they want and suffer no real punishment.....sorry if you dont agree but it's my opinion

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Every Child is different, every person is different. Some people require this and some do not. That is my experience.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 40yrs • M •
some kids do need a good spanking. but if they were raised correctly in the first place, this wouldnt be the case.

some kids dont respond well to time outs or having things taken away. for these children you have to get a little more creative, like making them do mundane tasks, or force them to do something postive for each negative thing they do. spanking is effective in that your kid will stop the behavior, but it is simply lazy parenting, no ifs ands or buts.

41yrs • F •
sorry.......i jst dont agree with you at all here wyote

40yrs • M •
i grew up in daycares (several different providers) and i have seen all sorts of techniques. some only hit their own children, some had permission from parents to hit their kids. some didnt do it at all. the difference in those who were being hit and those who werent was always very noticeable. i could even pick out kids who i knew were being hit at home. i do know what i am talking about here, but i have never met anyone else who is as strongly against hitting as i am.

64yrs • M •
Some children are angry at the world. It is a mystery they call mental illness. They really don't know why. I had a step daughter like that. She hated her mother for no other reason than being her mother, her mother did nothing to her except have her. When I went away on deployment she had to go into a mental hospital, because nobody could handle her. Her docter knew that I gave her spankins when she was bad and thought it was a good thing. Her mother didn't or couldn't, I don't know which. But children like that are very common. They will tell you then when they become young adults they usually settledown and become very productive individuals, and she did. She now works as a Nanny on the East Coast, but while they're young, they are a nightmare to their parents.

I think we blame our parents for to much and need to learn to take responsibility for our own actions. We decide, and those decisions make our way in life, for good or bad.

64yrs • M •
Ofcourse I do have to admit, when she reached her teens I only had to ground her. And ofcourse - now, she loves her mother very much.

Discipline
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy