My tongue is the only muscle in my body that works hard then my ..heart - DaiTheFlu
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is Wal Mart Good For America?

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://radio.indymedia.org/uploads/frontline_-_is_walmart_good_for_ameri
ca__1of5_.wmv

ca__2of5_.wmv

ca__3of5_.wmv

ca__4of5_.wmv

ca__5of5_.wmv

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7dhyg/documentaries_4.html

A documentary cut into five parts.

You can think of this as a more professional and a little less sentamental new version due to a new concern of Michael Moore's Roger and Me which chronicalled America's downfall as an Auto Motive Giant and the loss of jobs to Japan with the closing of huge city infrastructure essential factories to cheaper overseas labor and imports.

Only that was one specific industry, whereas Wal Mart encompassing a large chunk of ALL consumer needs and therefore import and exports of those multitudes of goods.

Besides job loss, there is the secondary blow of lower quality jobs in its wake, America cannot compete with slave labor, illegal trading prices.

Benefits become a joke, wages often cut in half if not more, high turnover.

And then, not even covered in this, is the imported laborers from china, mexico, india and elsewhere who also work for slave wages that we can't compete with without living in abject poverty.

I personally don't know where all the unemployed here are supposed to go, one theory was everyone was to move up, ha, those are being replaced to, but not everyone can become a manager, manager to laborer ratios don't support that notion.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I for one am glad they didn't build the proposed site in my area. They require large scale highways (6 lane) access for their superstores, so I am glad not to have the traffic snarls, noise & etc. to contend with passing by my door.
My cousin bought property out in the sticks to get away from town living. Afterward they put in a superstore complete withthe 6 lanes of traffic. They built a retention pond for the roadway between his house & the road. Traffic sounds echo across this opening directed right to his front door.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M
The other point that has proven true that is important and why Wal-Mart is not an isolated threat (which is covered by the film but not my post) is that it has forced its competition to take the same approach. So it doesn't end with Wal-Mart, unless it is the final survivor I guess.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think that Any company that pays women 25% less than men and hires illegal immigrants to work in their warehouses for LESS than minimum wage can be good for america.

"He who does not question is lost."
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i despise wal mart......i refuse to go into a wal mart,and am proud to say i havent been in one for over a year....everything about that place is wrong to me....the bright lights,crowds of uneducated people packed together looking for the best prices, impersonal , underpaid sales people....all with the premis that wal mart is some kind of wonderful family place....ugh.....they should all be torn down

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
 46yrs • M
I've worked at a Wal-Mart for over a year before, they constantly lay off people, constantly cut hours, while I was there restructured benefits to where health care you have to pay over a couple of hundred dollars a month, have terrible turn over because they push people too hard while paying too little and therefore hire undesirables and many illegals and barely if able to speak English, though they stay more on cleaning floors.

They used to, and I'm guessing some still do, make you clock out for your ten minute breaks (no wonder they are a 1/4 trillion dollar a year company), are leaders in consumer manipulation.

Their customer service is often rediculous because no one knows anything or cares, about half the employees at any given time are new or seasonal temps. They'll hire cheap through kids and the elderly and quantity over quality, like their products which are total shit anymore that aren't worth their cheapened prices which are still multiple times mark ups for them.

They abhor unions and have meetings to warn you of people trying to start one and threaten firing if you join, telling you they are bad for you and the company, most of which don't even realize what unions are. Thats actually a point where I've seen them act really odd.

But of course there are good people in the stores too.

Ya, but their current style of business equals ruin for American Jobs and quality of life unless somehow all the American factory workers getting displaced for overseas slave labor get equal pay elsewhere which is a joke, sure some can, but when you lose thousands of jobs over night because American factories shut down, there aren't lines of people coming to hire them, no, there are lines of people already at the unemployment office waiting to greet them.

And the equal pay elsewhere is what people don't get, factory workers aren't usually skilled in high paying trades, or very educated for that matter, many of which aren't very young anymore either. They will get shit jobs for often half the pay if their lucky enough for that, now suddenly they can't pay their bills anymore.

When you hear of job creation in the wake of massive layoffs, its a guarantee that those jobs suck, and are probably being filled by slave waged illegals, seasonal and temps.

Job security does not exist anymore, people seem to fail to understand the significance of that, let alone workers rights.

41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you have proven my point....walmart is evil........ban wal mart

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy