Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

religon

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
Chesster is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
religon
What do you think drives people to religion? I consider myself to be Agnostic. I can neither prove nor disprove any manifestation of "god" or any other being that would posses the power to "create" life as we know it. I would like to hear any and all opinions regarding this topic.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, some are never really 'driven" to religion. Some are raised on it, and only follow because its practically second nature. Some are driven by guilt or greed. Some see the world is shit, and attempt to create a relationship with the greater power they hear so much about.

Personally, i believed..then i accused. then i stopped believing, then i believed again. Not out of weakness, guilt or greed, but because i choose to believe in something better. Even if it isnt god, you can still contribute to the greater good you believe in...just by trying. Religion is symbolism, it represents something that does exist. "burning bushes", a reference to the holy ghost as a "sheep". Its not meant to be taken literal.

(the sheep thing was something a preacher mentioned to me)

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that niners69sgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think ppl are driven to religion because sometimes they don't really know where to turn or get help at and they want a reason why they were put on this earth and how they were created and sometimes religion gives them that

"sonrisa siesta y fiesta ...if ya wanna know don't be afraid to ask i only bite on days that end in y"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a strong desire to belong somewhere is what drives many people.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People who are looking for answers or want to give of themselves and contribute to the community. Those who want to find hope because the things in the world are overbearing. To find people to associate with who has some morals and values. To understand why things are the ways they are now, what will become later. To find themselves or to improve themselves.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 56yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Patrish is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
People who see men who died for the cause ~ know men would not create a lie, and die for it.

That would be preposterous.

Christ died for ppl...and His Apostles DIED for Him.

TO ignore their sacrifice without a sense of purpose would mean 12 men in seperate places lied about the same thing, and died for the same lie.

All of reasonable intelligence and sound mind.
...To say religion is some 'get together' for lack of a better thing to do, is like saying you are completely ignorant to the history.

"Life is full of lemons, and the lemonade is sweet."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that 730 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To give up your life simply for another person is foolish...To give up your life for love of another person is sacrifice...To accept and be content in the passing of someone you love is to be free and you become part of that love...in the same breath realizing that love is all there ever was!

Religion is based on sacrifice, Ideals, and personification of individual prowess....so in that case the followers will never be free, just constantly searching for the freedom that's already possessed inside.

"Being is not knowing!"
 34yrs • F •
corrupted is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Many people are drawn to religion because it is needed. It gives people hope when they have nothing left. You can be all alone in the world and have your faith and be safe. Yann Martel can explain this so much better than I in his book, Life of Pi.

Relgion is also needed because it gives people justification for their ideal set of standards...people have no backbones

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
*I also support gay marriage*

According to the bible, without hope a man will die and I believe that is true. One can say religion is the hope that drives a person when all seems hopeless.

I've seen men cry and pray in a storm out at sea and then when we get to shore they forget all about that - so I would call that a pethetic religion.

For me - religion is when you look at nature and see its awsome wonder and take in its creator. An understanding that can't be explained in words. Because most of us today live indoors and rarely experience nature - religion is not real to them.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm sorry but I honestly hate Christianity and Judaism and Islam. They are all for sheep in my eyes. If you grew up in this world actually asking questions like 'why?', 'how?', 'who?', and 'what?' then you don't need those religions. Eventually you get answers. Some people are just too lazy and too enfixed in their 'meaningful' life of Laguna Beach reenaction to go out and find them. I'm not going to target the older crowd of church goers because honestly, I didn't live in the time that they did and it is not my place to chastise their actions. But I will target the youth of today because we live in a world where information is at the tips of our fingers. I can safely say I hate 95% of the youth I know today. And not because they're sheep, but because you also can't talk to them because they're sheep. They don't understand words, they just know 'feed me'. So whatever, MTV can herd them, I don't care. I don't want them. And if I wasn't so sure that we were all the same person looking to live in harmony with everyone, I'd wish them all death.

"The truth will set you on fire"
religon
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy