In the sea of ilutions and frustations that life is, some swim and some drown. - Bob Yow Z!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Dimensions

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that HaiderKhan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dimensions
Yesterday, my friend and I were sitting in art class talking about the different types of perspective in a story.

First-Person:The person is talking

Second-person:?

Third-Person:The narrator goes in side everyones head, character is referred to "he"

Well anyways this isnt about storys or anything, as my conversation continued with my friend. We began to talk about dimensions in real life.

1D: I think 1D is a straight line --------------.

2D: 2D is flat. -------------------
\ \
--------------------

3D: Three dimensions Height ,wight, and volume.
Picture is too hard to make.

Now those are the three dimensions we can see, with our eyes. BUT! Recently ive been reading Physics alot, and it states that in a certian theory called the "string theory" the universe has 11 dimensions. 11 DIMENSIONS? What? Yes i couldnt believe it either, but for me to explain it to you. I would need pages and pages, and pages to explain, i suggest you research. Anyways if there are 11 dimensions, I wonder what they would look like from our perspective?

4D: I know this one, its time.

5D:? maybe fantasy?

6D: No freaking clue

7D: same as 6

8D: same

9D:same

10D: can u even imagine a 10th dimension?

11D: i dunno, God?

I know the first 4, but what do you think about the other 7?

"Life is a dream, when you wake up the real journey begins"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JimmyK is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I dont think theres a way for you to actually visualize any of these dimensions

33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Raptafairious is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok I know some of the dementions here it goes from the beginning:

1st Dimension: A Simple Line

2nd Dimension: Flat Objects

3rd Dimension: Objects with height weight and volume

4th Dimension: Tetra Space (AKA Time)

There is no such thing as 5th, 6th, 7th ect. ect. Where did you get that from?

"I'm just another person in this place, which is why its my advantage."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is such a thing as a four dimensional (spatial) object. Our minds can't conceive them visually however.

Here's an analogy. Suppose there is a 2 dimensional universe. A sphere going through that universe would look like an expanding and then shrinking circle. A 4 dimensional object going through our universe, by analogy, would look like a growing then shrinking sphere.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 35yrs • M •
Ok i have researched on this string theory that Haider is talking about. Its actually called the M-Theory.

Heres a link to the article that talks about the extra dimensions:

http://www.sukidog.com/jpierre/strings/extradim.htm

O yea theres also a VHS video on this theory, and its dimensions called "The Elegant Universe"

Heres the link to the home page of the M-Theory:

http://www.sukidog.com/jpierre/strings/tutor.htm

59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
String theory, fascinating stuff, but the mathematics is far over my head. Not only does it mention those other dimensions, through evil mathematics, but a possible theory for the origin of the big bang. The 'Veil' portion of the M-theory could also be used to explain ghosts and certain other paranormal occurrences.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the 4th dimension is basically the same thing as time and is known as hyperspace, the same thing they used in star trek for faster than light travel. wormholes in space are basically sections of hyperspace that sink in and connect seamlessly to other sections, theoretically allowing instantaneous travel because there wouldn't be any time to "cross" to get there.

the 5th dimension, i think, is called "superspace?" read a book about all this once, so i'm trying to remember. i think that theoretically (according to some quantum physicists) if there are parallel universes they lie like branch out in hyperspace and the only way you would be able to reach these dimensions is by crossing superspace.

but then there's also this thing called "higg's space" that i can recall hearing about once, and it's basically (real or theoritical i can't remember) this space containing infinite dimensions, which is insanely hard to fathom. but anyway, for parallel universes to work they have to be perpendicular (essentially making them anything but parallel) in higg's space, which in fact makes it so that there can be an infinite number of universes but none of them are parallel in space because of the infinite number of dimensions.

again this is all based on some shit i may have read like four years ago so it's hard for me to remember. in string theory all i know is that there are supposedly these little tiny dimensions all wound up and that these are what ultimately make up all of matter.

weird stuff.

"You are reading this."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ok....the 4th dimension is the astral plane.
5th is the Lightbody dimension in which you are aware of yourself.
6th is dimension holds the templates for the DNA patterns.
7th is dimension is that of pure creativity, pure light, pure tone.
8th is dimension is of group mind or group soul
9th is dimension in the model that we use is the plane of the collective consciousness of planets,

The 10th dimension is the source of the Rays,
llth is dimension is that of pre-formed Light, the point before creation and a state of exquisite expectancy just like the moment before a sneeze or an orgasm.

The 12th dimension is the One Point where all consciousness knows itself to be utterly one with All That Is.

Spirit creates the illusion of separation up to the 7th dimension

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 35yrs • M •
Or maybe the dimensions dont exist and its just us and our minds

35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not sure if this fits in here, but I read thid book about realities. I'll quote some of it because I can't find a way to explain it at the moment.

quote:
"The night of the train crash. The derilment. Mum had a fifty-fifty chance, right?

"Do we have to keep going back there?" he said wearily.

"Sorry, but it's important. A fifty-fifty chance, live or die, and what does she do? She lived and died. There she is, on the train from King's Cross, and it hits that cracked rail, and suddenly her life's in the balance. It's so touch and go that reality can't handle it, so a second reality has to be created in order for both things-her life and her death-to happen at once."

"Created? Are we in Godland here?"

"No. Alternate realities self-creating."

"Could be. But there has to be some scientific explanation. You know the way a living cell divides in two? It splits, replicating itself, forms its own twin. Well imagine reality as one great big ginormous cell that in certain circumstances--life-threatening situations, say--becomes two, identical except that the event that caused the division turns out differently in each."

"Always a life-death situation?"

"Not necessarily. Might be a decision, a "do I, don't I?' moment...."

"And in the alterate reality, they live happily ever after."

"Happiness has nothing to do with it."

"These realities of yours..how close are they to one another?"

"Close?"

"Physically."

"They occupy the same space. When we step from one into the other, we enter a different version of the very space we just left."

"They occupy the same space, but are invisible to one another?"

" They don't exist to one another. They're real only to themselves and the life forms in them. Some animals might sense another reality from time to time, though. Ever see a dog snarl at something that isn't there?"

"That's because dogs have Weetabix for brains."

" But pretty acute senses. Maybe the occasional human gets a glimps, too. Think of all the people who've claimed to see spectral figures on staircases or standing at the foot of their bed. The young children heard crying in houses where there are no kids. How do we know these arn't peeks into neighboring or overlapping realities?"

--A crack in the line, by Micheal Lawrence.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, also, for time travel to be possible, these different dimensions containng all the possibilities must exist, either that or life should be pre determined.
Maybe all of existance comes from one 'source', and thus a setg of all possible alternate possiblilities are created.

oh, and about the string theory, dude, only about a handfull of scientists believe in it, in the beggining it created lots of commotion, but now it's reached a low point.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vic_Silver is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
For those interested in string theory and multiple dimensions I propose this mental exercise:

Big bang!
Everything expands in all directions at the same rate(the speed of light). Like a balloon filling up with air. If everything expands away from one singular point, at the same rate, then everything there is would exist solely on the surface of the balloon. Our universe would seem to be a curved 2 dimensional surface. So whats on the inside of the balloon. A dimension we can not perceive?

This was what opened up my eyes to ideas of other dimensions.

That exercise is not to be taken literally by the way. It bears only a vague resemblance to modern physics. String theory proposed the other dimensions are curled up into every point in space.

"Somethings out there.. Oh wait thats me"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, space has not been created, so obviously space is the thing that fills in the 'inside of the baloon' per se

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
my understanding of string theory goes like this.

all matter is made up of tiny strings. these strings can come in varying types which is what creates new dimensions. for example the string can be a straight line, a U shape, a bent V like shape, or a curly shape.

there is a lot more to it, but its been forever since ive read about it. like Angel says, its reached a low point.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
Dimensions
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy