The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return. - Ambition
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Do you know what Islam means? - Page 4

User Thread
 53yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Xris is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"we can never believe in any statement absolutely."

Including the above statement? OMG...You just dont get it...lol

If the above statement is true then it disproves its own claim thus we can believe in some statements absolutely.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
YOU just don't get it. I didn't say "all absolute statements are false" That's a contradictory statement because it is in itself an absolute statement (it says "all"

Whereas saying "I am 90% (or whatever percentage) sure that you shouldn't believe in anything absolutely" is IN NOW WAY contradictory. It IS contradictory if you believe in it for absolutely certain, but I have never said I was certain, only YOU have been trying to shove that in my mouth for last 10 posts.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 53yrs • M •
Ahh but you did, you wrote: "we can never believe in any statement absolutely." Instead of CAN NEVER you should have said should rarely.

But anyways, I agree with you - I dont know what % we can ever believe - 90% is probably a good number.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What the bloody fuck is going on in here?

Islam: If shit happens, it is the will of Allah.
Protestanism: Let shit happen to someone else.
Catholicism: If shit happens, you deserve it.

And for all the Zen masters out there:
What IS the sound of shit happening?

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 37yrs • M •
"Ahh but you did, you wrote: "we can never believe in any statement absolutely." Instead of CAN NEVER you should have said should rarely."
I said we should always believe it. I stand by that. I stand by it 90% (90% certainty, not 90% of the time)

Is someone high?

37yrs • M •
Or has our argument just become that childish.

53yrs • M •
It really isn't childish at all - in fact it is very serious - the way we communicate is important - and I think it is interesting. You have made a statement - I take your statement at face value and show that it disproves its own claims - you say that I should only take your statement at having about 90% value and allow for 10% uncertainty. This is impossible for me to comprehend. When I reply you find my answer impossible to comprehend, apparently.

What this reveals is that we both have a distinctly different view of logic and the role it can play and should play. I think you are probably in that crowd that believes a quanta can exist before it exists. I am in the crowd that says that can never happen because it violates a law of logic and thus what the scientists think they are observing they are not really observing and in time will see that I am right.

37yrs • M •
OK lets try to break down my reasoning, this what I think you are understanding:
- I say: All absolute statements are false.
- An absolute statement is one in which one says "all Xs are Y"
- Therefore the first statement claims itself to be false

Here's what I am trying to say:
- I say: No statement (requiring thought) is absolutely certain.
-> IF the above statement is absolutely certain then it claims itself to be false and is contradictory
-> IF the above satement is only partially certain, then it is a self-confirming statement or truism, it states only partially certain statements exist (as opposed to partially TRUE) and is in itself are partially certain statent

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that HaiderKhan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok im muslim. We muslims believe in one god(another name for god is Allah). We beileive he sent many prophets in order to help us understand God. We do not believe that Jesus is the son of god, even Jesus himself said "Do not worship me, but worship God". We believe that Mohammed was a prophet sent by God. We believe in peace. Al-Queda is an extremist group like your KKK. No we dont want to blow you up. And no not all muslims look like osama, in fact i look like Ricky Martin, and people mistake me for a Latino guy.

But recently Ive been studying many religions, and I dont believe in any religion anymore. What I do believe is that there is a universal power that binds the universe together. In other words I believe there is a God, and I believe that you must do good things. Theres no reason behind my beliefs to explain them, i just do them. I dont care If u dont believe me, I want to do good things in life, and die peacefully.

"Life is a dream, when you wake up the real journey begins"
[  Edited by HaiderKhan at   ]
 38yrs • F •
I'm starting to resent technicalities and logistics here.
Whatever happened to spirituality and the abstract depth of adhering to a faith?

Screw Five Pillars and Ten Commandments if they don't personally affect you at heart or become incorporated in your daily routine.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Religion never says that there can't be any spirituality.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
What I do believe is that there is a universal power that binds the universe together. In other words I believe there is a God,

May The Force Be With You ~A Men~

I believe that too. I don't know if I believe in Bobliestic or a Debliestic God. I'm really clueless, but I just know there is one.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 53yrs • M •
"Even Jesus himself said "Do not worship me, but worship God"

Please post the biblical passage where Jesus said this.

I wouldn't spend much time looking for it though, because Jesus never said this. In fact Jesus received worship and responded that those that recognize that he is Lord and God are blessed.

"What I do believe is that there is a universal power that binds the universe together."

Believe do you in the force you do?

38yrs • F •
Xris, obviously the Bible isn't going have a passage like that because Jesus wasn't alive when it was written.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that HaiderKhan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The bible doesnt exactly say that jesus said "dont worship me, worship god" but there are passages that sound like this.

Doesnt christianity preach for you to belieave in one god only, and no other false gods?

And no my beliefs about a universal power thats binds the universe together doesnt have anything to do with star wars.

I have studied physics, philosophy, theology, and I personally believe there is some kind of substance thats binds everything together. Maybe that substance is God.

"Life is a dream, when you wake up the real journey begins"
Do you know what Islam means? - Page 4
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy