He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man - Dr. Johncon
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Excerp: America is not a Christian Nation - Page 11

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, I am agreeing with your statement in general. A past thread went into reat length to show the unchristian attitude that prevailed in the dark ages. Looking at those implements of torture, one would be tempted to ask did they learn such things from Jesus or the apostles? Which obviously they did not learn from either source.
But as other nations (governments) made claims to the New World in defiances to the Roman Catholic Church basicly giving those rights to Spain. The colonies were inhabited by seeking religious freedom but to the greater extent it makeup was prodominantly mechants (those of means) & those seeking to obtain such (barbartered servants) and slaves. These documents were carefully worded to align these factions together.
Christianity (the original) was based on sharing to provide for the good of all where as Capitalism is based upon profit of the Individual (few). It is said that the native americans showed the pilgrims to use fish to fertilize the soil during planting. Christian ethics would be to share that information in general while the capitist would seek to keep it secret so as to increase their own profit. This attitude also prevailed in craftmen as well as merchants in general.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This country is not a christian nation but the most predominant religion in it is christianity. Most of our govt. leaders are christian, and most of powerful people in our nation are christian. I don't see how you can say abortion is not murder. I know a five year old who was born at 4 months and is alive and well to this day. No birth defects, nothing. I also do not see how abstinence-only doesn't work. If people followed what they have been taught then it certainly is effective. But you cannot discredit a whole form of teaching just because people would rather have sex and take risks than play it safe and respect their future spouse.

The founding fathers declared a separation of church and state and therefore saw no need to express anything having to do with God. They probably looked into history and realizing what a religiously dominated govt. is like (catholic churches rule) decided it was much better to separate the two. You are correct that our nation is not christian, but i think that is one of the few well thought of opinions in this post. I'm sorry, but that is simply how i feel on the situation!

fireangel

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A Walk in the Park
Well, so to speak although it is more of a trek.
At any rate I found myself using the ol´ hob nail express. I had made my way down the street to the traffic light where I made a right turn. I was using the concrete strip designed for pedestrian traffic, thick growth trees & bushes lined one side overshadowing the sidewalk.
The auto repair filled my thoughts when an explosive action in the form of a flurry of wings occurred not twenty paces in front of me. Funny how quickly the woes of the mundane world evaporate from thought as my attention became focused on hawk that had swept into the scene.
Wings & tail feathers spread wide filling's the air seeking to stop his forward momentum & alter his course. His body was almost perpendicular to his line of flight as he cross the concrete & moved over the thin strip of green. He had come in low beneath the spreading of brush & tree & he seemed to pause hanging in the air as he turned to follow the path which I walked. The bushy tail of the grey squirrel swung from his talons like a pendulum with his abrupt change of direction. He was dangerously low & slow allowing me to look over his shoulder as his powerful wings beat the air and he quietly swept from view, banking suddenly into a break in the trees.
Strange isn´t it . . . As if he understood that the danger that the asphalt strip represented, he had suddenly altered his flight. I wondered how many close brushes with death had brought recognition of the peril the asphalt represented? Noting that along the interstate it is not so uncommon to see the feathery remains of those that had ¨swak a mack¨ or some other semi or truck to meet their doom?
How does the saying go?
¨broad is the way that leads to death & narrow is the path that leads to life¨

47yrs • M •
christian1976 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Anyone who denies the solidly Christian foundation that this nation, and its government, were built on is either ignorant or naive. Just tour any of the monuments in DC like the Jefferson, Washington, and Lincoln...they all mention God.

Most propogated myth on this thread: Seperation of Church and State.

Fact : That phrase does not appear in ANY of the founding documents of this nation or the government. It was in a personal letter the the Danbury Baptist Church in 1802. If you believe Jefferson wanted to prevent establishment...think again.

"Certainly, no power to prescribe any religious exercise or to assume authority in religious discipline has been delegated to the General Government. It must rest with the States, as far as it can be in any human authority" TJ in a letter to Samuel Miller in 1808

Apparently the greatest advocate of seperation of church and state only believed it applied to the federal government, not the states. (Which a few did have state religions at the time of this nations birth)

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Interestingly, I was posting with a local newspaper board, a previous post dealt with a city removal of Christian symbols from a city owned water tower. So I asked the question, 'Is the separation of church & state', a Christian principle?

Excerp: America is not a Christian Nation - Page 11
  3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy