Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Music - Page 2

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
suvodip is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well, if u have listen to music, from the oler times, rap kind of music is a very new type. While I do enjoy Eminem and certain others, i just said i 'hate' it, and i take it back, its not my cup of tea. I like sweet melody which can take me to a dream world and keep me in a mellow. Rap doesnt do it. I like hard rock too coz even though not sweet melody, it can take you on a different high. Anyways I declassify it, you dont. So doesnt matter. PPL will have different taste. U say rap is music. I say dont joke!!! So chill.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, if you can call metal, punk, or techno music, then i don't see why you can't call rap music as well. even though i really don't like most rap, i agree that it is a genre of music.

also, i think most people see older music as more worthwhile or something because they grew up with it and listening to it brings them some kind of nostalgia. in my opinion, if you want to talk about repetitive, corporate, "mainstream" music, the 1970s is pretty much where it started, with disco and arena rock bands like zeppelin and lynard skynard and all that.

what i find kind of funny about rock music is that it was originally (well, almost originally) about fighting the man, being rebellious, being individual, etc. then "the man" adapted to this sudden outburst of creative freedom by inventing mtv and major label records and telling the masses what "cool" is, and using this image of "cool" to make more money. for example, in the mid-seventies you have rock legends like eric clapton doing beer commercials. even today, paul mccartney is playing the superbowl, raking in tons of cash for whatever sponsors are involved. and then you have woodstock '96, which was basically the ultimate lowest, dirtiest trick by corporate america to use the greatest, freest moment in rock history to boost the prices on everything involved, from tickets to bottled water. fortunately the fans were pissed off enough say fuck it and burn the place down. i wish i could have been there to see that.

don't be confused--"the man" today has adapted to the counterculture and is therefore more difficult to recognize. in the days of bob dylan and the beatles he wore a suit and tie and basically represented the staunch conservatives in support of nixon and the vietnam war.

"the man" of today has smoked pot. he's hidden himself behind trendiness and media-created images of what you should wear and how you should look and what you should buy.

so i think the only way to fight "the man" today is to stay out of the spotlight. underground bands are the only ones who are keeping the original spirit of rock music alive today by refusing to be corporate puppets.

i'm not saying that music is always going to sound "bad" by being corporate, but it will always be limited to what is considered popular or trendy at the time. it seems logical that indie music would naturally be just a little bit ahead of mainstream stuff, which is bogged down progressively by appealing to the masses rather than being innovative.

"You are reading this."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
suvo--

Are you joking me? Rap isnt new. Run DMC? LL cool J? NWA? Beastie Boys? Ring any bells? But you are right, we all have our own opinions, and I wasn't trying to bash yours, just trying to educate, to open your eyes to a new perspective.

Wind--

I agree about what you said about music today and the mainstream. But at the same time, in todays culture, being NOT maintstream, is becoming MAINSTREAM. You know what I mean? Its like, being underground, is cool now. Its the new "in" thing. I have dug pretty deep into the ground of the underground, and to my dismay, I havn't found much that I even like.

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 40yrs • M •
suvodip is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
JoelB...Yea, maybe I wasnt clear about the 'new' part. I considered the period from the gregorian to present. Maybe over 15 centuries?

wind...yea, u r right...punk and techno and "trance"<---i know trance is a huuuuuuuge fad now. But I am not a huge fan of these.
I like Solid music, which has many instruments, vocals...it lets me explore different aspects of it it everytime i listen to it. Exploring the music makes me go inside...so that way 'different high'. I like classical as well from baroque to romantic.

41yrs • M •
lol... well damn, if underground stuff becomes popular i guess we'll all be forced to just close our eyes and listen to whatever we like. anyway, i don't see some indie bands as ever becoming mainstream simply because of their nature as bands (ever heard analcunt? lol).

of course none of this means that people can't simply keep an open mind and learn to appreciate stuff that doesn't have that immediate poppy hook that you find with songs on the radio. it's been my experience that the more enjoyable songs out there take more than one listen before they sink in. but when they do, they stay with you.

"You are reading this."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
its a continous cycle actually. underground becomes pop, pop becomes underground and so on and so forth. at one point Hanson and Backstreet Boys were considered "underground" ... i know that sounds strange, but its true. a few years ago emo was underground, now its pop and its actually starting to fade out. metal is slowly coming to the forefront, along with new styles of music such as Gorillaz, Coldplay, Audioslave just to name a few.

the important thing is to not pay any attention to pop and underground whatsoever. you like what you like and whatever makes you feel good to listen to is what you should search for.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • M •
i agree with you that whether something is "pop" or "underground" has really nothing to do with how good it's going to sound. the main thing you have to keep in mind, though, is if you want to experience the whole spectrum of music, it's hard to find some of the good stuff without knowing where to look. what it all comes down to is that pop finds you, and everything else you have to dig for.

"You are reading this."
 400yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that poser exposer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
joelb wrote: Rap IS music. Weather you like it or not. Just because you dont like it, doesn't give you the right to declassify it. What defines music? A guitar? I'll give you a rap song with a guitar in it. So they dont yell and scream, instead they flow and rhyme. And not ALL rap is about bustin caps and gangs. If you listen to 50 cent, then yes, that is what it is about. But if you listen to Nas, then its about black heritage, its about how his dad was a great influence on him. Sure all rap/rappers will probably make a reference to gangs, guns, and drugs through out their carrer, but tell me that drugs werent a part of rock as well? Instead of slingin' the drugs, rockstars were using them and getting horribly addicted to them. Just dont declassify something just because you don't enjoy it.

rap is cRap! period. a turntable is NOT a musical instrument and rap (cRap) is NOT music... you're a fucking tool... now go smoke a radiator hose already.

"i hate cRap!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"a turntable is NOT a musical instrument"

Anything that emits noise can be used as a musical instrument, and tends to be at some point or another.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 400yrs • M •
quote:

"i hate cRap!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Way to make your point, you have no idea what music is do you.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 400yrs • M •
quote:

"i hate cRap!"
 37yrs • M •
Please share your definition of music. Amaze us all, with your highly intellectual thoughts. And most rappers dont use turntables, that would be what is called a DJ. Most rappers use computers, keyboards, and sound boards. But I guess some do use turntables.

37yrs • M •
Please share your definition of music.

37yrs • M •
Thats defining an era of music. Not MUSIC. Please share your definition of music.

Music - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy