I can't think that it would be terrible of me to say - and it is occasionally true - that I need physics more than friends - J. Robert Oppenheimer.
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Thinking of Starting a Shirt Company

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have lately been thinking of starting my own t shirt company. I have tons of little sayings that I made up. Does anyone have any idea on how to go about this, what the best supplier is, etc?

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
t-shirts with varied clever sayings is a good idea... and i'm sure tons of people would want a piece of that action too...

aren't there tons of internet companies doing that right now though?

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You might want to look 6 inces below my post.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Domz0r is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You gonna have to have somthign pretty special to get in on that business (SP?)

"I am Domz0r....roar!!!!"
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Um.
Not the blow anyone's bubble here,
but starting small business is like asking to commit yourself to hell.
I just started working for a guy with his own small business - he engineers and sells anti-stuttering devices to speech therapists and people with speech impairments, and I spent seven hours on my ass yesterday getting his credit card statements straight.

You can't do this kind of stuff on your own, and I work with this other girl Sabrina who had to sit him down and figure out his taxes and payroll shit because he was so overwhelmed with the success of his business that he couldn't even do that!

Trust me.
Sell little stuff if you want, like with cafepress or something, but small businesses require such huge investments (you're look at at least $20k down, this guy I work for put down $250k starting) that you should think twice about it, if you're serious. Because once you've invested in it, you're pretty much either a) successful or b) stuck with the losses.

Just my two cents of heads up before delving into something too serious.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I say go for it. Every business started with someone just like you... with an idea. And having a "new" idea is rare because most of it's been done so expanding on or putting your own "spice" in an already existing idea has just as much chance of working out. Persistence is key. If you believe in it... go for it.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So far you been given some good advice, starting up a business is hard. Depends on what you want, what you define as viable?
Being in a tourist state, there are a lot of t-shirt shops & other small businesses around.
I know a guy, who makes curios from scrap wood & natural material that he scrouges. Alittle glue (gun) & a couple of power saws & turns out merchandice. He has a few shops that he wholesales to but he also has a couple of restuarants that allow him to sell out of the back of his pick-up truck.
The latter being the most profitable but he looks the part of a local just making a buck & he has a good line! He makes up goofy little tales to promote each item, he makes a solid contact by being outerwardly friendly, someone they want to buy from to remind them of their vacation when they are backa the old grind to pay for it.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
hmm still no advice from Decius... is he afraid of some more competition?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
competition or source?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i was mostly poking fun at the astonishing number of tshirt websites that are out there.

i have heard many stories of people coming out of failed businesses because they simply underestimated the amount of capital they needed to stay competitive.

i hope you have some pride in your accomplishments Decius, few people fully immerse themselves in large projects such as you have, let alone at such an early age. if nothing else, you can brag about how much balls you had to follow through with everything.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Shirt idea: "Just Bushit"

Maybe with a swoosh shaped turd in the middle.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy