Cherish the happy memories of your childhood, for they make a good cushion to sit on when you get older. - l2 () l3
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Jesus for President?

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jesus for President?
What if Jesus had been running in the election, how would he have faired? What would be the issue's influencing the votes, moral values?

It accurred to me again about the hypocricy (from a somewhat intentionally closed minded view) of the apparent christian right, in the thought of things like, how in support of the war would we/they be with Jesus as a candidate, what would Jesus say about the war ? If Jesus took a stronger tone against the war even than Kerry, would you still call him too much of a pacifist? What if he was for gay marriage and abortion, would you call him immoral? Would he be elected, or thrown in an insane asylum?

Would Bush recieve a clarifying memo saying he's actually going to hell as a campaign smear ad? With Kerry possibly right by his side, and Nader going to a special place for special people.

What would life be like under Jesus' presidency, would people be happy then, or would we just get bombed?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Interesting concept Leftwood. Nowadays Jesus is too associated with Christianity so anyone non-Christian wouldn't be very happy.

What about a modern day version that isn't supportive of one or another belief system?... just humanity and the world in general

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 46yrs • M
Jesus is the important figure here because this is meant to especially look at those who would vote against, say Ghandi or the Dali Llama, but would vote for jesus because of religious and religious moral beliefs, even though these people are very similar in their mainly pascifist ways. Yet all the war mongerers of the right wing (especially) who also happen to be the christian right, are (as in all their religious beliefs vs. living practices) practicing hypocritical and contradictory ideas.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
the christian right, are (as in all their religious beliefs vs. living practices) practicing hypocritical and contradictory ideas.
Yes that would be something, would christians vote for Gandi to rule the USA? Let alone if they would choose Christ over Bush but then the Jews didn't choose Jesus did they?
quote:
What would life be like under Jesus' presidency, would people be happy then, or would we just get bombed?

I wonder what the USA would have been like if the people had indeed followed the principles given by Jesus from its inception? Would the acts of givening & sharing with others formed bonds of mutual respect for the life or would the [love] desire of material goods still rule? Probably the latter would prevail as it has in reality.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"Would the acts of givening & sharing with others formed bonds of mutual respect for the life or would the [love] desire of material goods still rule?"

I think the currently the media/government/corporations are so intrinsically tied that helps to create the material-obsessed world we live in. If someone like Jesus was in power it would begin to look a lot different.

Just my opinion...

50yrs • F •
I agree Mystic. For someone of that nature to be "in charge" the whole idea of being "in charge" would take on a whole new meaning. More like "in influence" or something like that... Either it would be something outside of the current political system or the current political system would have to be rebuilt from the ground up.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Nature cannot be out of charge.

She is invevitably in charge.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 50yrs • F •
DT... are you referring to my post? If so "someone of that nature" refers to "someone similar to" Jesus, Dalai Lama, Gadhi...

Just clarifying.

46yrs • M
Being a messiah (beyond the teacher meaning) seems like a pretty big order, let alone a president, or the son of God if you wanna go that way. To lead and teach. I'm unsure of the type of government that would come to be under such rule. But it would seem as though it would not be a form of capitalism, unless the ideas of Jesus' teachings are truly misunderstood and or misrepresented, but this depends on what Jesus' posistion is on welfare and non workers is, as well as his teachings on big business and government in general, which I don't offhand recall.

But these are thoughts that the "christian right" don't have to really deal with or think about because in their beliefs the second coming of Jesus is the end anyway if I remember correctly.

38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Astarte is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jesus wouldn't seek that sort of power to begin with.
I don't think rephrasing "in power" with "in influence" is it -

and I hate Gandhi.
That guy was a hypocrite in rags. Read a wonderfully written article in National Geographic concerning his life, and it'd make you think twice about jumping the bandwagon of so-called pacifists who worship him.

True leaders work behind the scenes,
their time of fame comes after their greatest achievements.

"Milk, almonds and pistachios."
 50yrs • F •
Yeah... I don't think the Dalai Lama or Gandhi can be put in the same classification as Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, Vishnu or any other messiah. They are/were far more "human" than "messiah".

46yrs • M
Jesus was human too, there is a claim that puts some speculation to his origins, but he was human. Many people take that kind of stance, but I don't see any of them as messiahs, just people with "possitive" "loving" messages etc.

50yrs • F •
Yes all messiahs were/are in human form but what I meant when I said "more human" was... "advanced" or "enlightened" to a lesser degree.

46yrs • M
But that's a pretty big assumption to begin with, and making a clarification between a human and human form is important too, I don't believe any of them to be anything but human, and if something else too, than so are we, IMO.

Part of my reasoning on this is, if you just look at their rhetoric, they generally say the same things, even in their differing descriptions of perhaps gods and religions, but even then their descriptions are 90% the same.

46yrs • M
I'm not aware of what it means to you to be enlightened

Jesus for President?
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy