Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

A very good read.

User Thread
 66yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that SteveFromTexas is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A very good read.
This piece best describes what I believe makes this election so important to all of us.

From the Wed 06 Oct 2004 issue of the Ellensburg Daily Record
(Ellensburg, Washington)... by Mathew Manweller,Central Washington
University political science professor

"ELECTION DETERMINES FATE OF NATION"

In that this will be my last column before the presidential election,
there will be no sarcasm, no attempts at witty repartee. The topic is
too serious, and the stakes are too high.

This November we will vote in the only election during our lifetime that
will truly matter. Because America is at a once-in-a-generation
crossroads, more than an election hangs in the balance. Down one path
lies retreat, abdication and a reign of ambivalence. Down the other
lies a nation that is aware of its past and accepts the daunting
obligation its future demands.

If we choose poorly, the consequences will echo through the next 50
years of history. If we, in a spasm of frustration, turn out the
current occupant of the White House, the message to the world and
ourselves will be two-fold.

First, we will reject the notion that America can do big things. Once a
nation that tamed a frontier, stood down the Nazis and stood upon the
moon, we will announce to the world that bringing democracy to the
Middle East is too big of a task for us. But more significantly, we
will signal to future presidents that as voters, we are unwilling to
tackle difficult challenges, preferring caution to boldness, embracing
the mediocrity that has characterized other civilizations. A defeat
of President Bush will send a chilling message to future presidents who
may need to make difficult, yet unpopular decisions. America has always
been a nation that rises to the demands of history regardless of the
costs or appeal. If we turn away from that legacy, we turn away from
who we are.

Second, we inform every terrorist organization on the globe that the
lesson of Somalia was well learned. In Somalia we showed terrorists
that you don't need to defeat America on the battlefield when you can
defeat Them in the newsroom. They learned that a wounded America can
become a Defeated America.

Twenty-four-hour news stations and daily tracing polls will do the heavy
lifting, turning a cut into a fatal blow. Except that Iraq is Somalia
times 10. The election of John Kerry will serve notice to every
terrorist in every cave that the soft underbelly of American power is
the timidity of American voters. Terrorists will know that a steady
stream of grizzly photos for CNN is all you need to break the will of
the American people.

Our own self-doubt will take it from there. Bin Laden will recognize
that he can topple any American administration without setting foot on
the homeland.

It is said that America's W.W.II generation is its 'greatest
generation'; but my greatest fear is that it will become known as
America's 'last generation.' Born in the bleakness of the Great
Depression and hardened in the fire of WW II, they may be the last
American generation that understands the meaning of duty, honor and
sacrifice. It is difficult to admit, but I know these terms are spoken
with only hollow detachment by many (but not all) in my generation. Too
many citizens today mistake 'living in America' as 'being an American.'
But America has always been more of an idea than a place. When you sign
on, you do more than buy real estate. You accept a set of values and
responsibilities.

This November, my generation, which has been absent too long, must grasp
the obligation that comes with being an American, or fade into the
oblivion they may deserve.

I believe that 100 years from now historians will look back at the
Election of 2004 and see it as the decisive election of our century.
Depending on the outcome, they will describe it as the moment America
joined the ranks of ordinary nations; or they will describe it as the
moment the prodigal sons and daughters of the greatest generation
accepted their burden as caretakers of "the City on the Hill."

Mathew Manweller

Pretty good read HuH?
Steve From Texas - Back from a great 4 days off.

"Any day above ground is a good day"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Reminds me of the "white man's burden".

Besides, it grossly oversimplifies things.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 63yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that nugamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Boring!

"Life, Liberty, & Property Rights."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dammit. lost my post

This is speculative and biased tripe.

Sounds like the terrorists are in control of our election and democracy now, don't vote against bush because the terrorists will think bad of us, think us weak, well I've got news for you, they don't like us anyway and are already trying to topple us, doesn't mean we should give in right? When it comes to toppling our government they have an upper hand anyway, our government is based on lies, deciet, ignorant voters, and corporate bullshit etc. I don't know that this government is worth saving at this time, and you can say well thats exactly what the terrorists want, well I would say that they want us to not fix things so they can win.

We need to fight for democracy in america before fight for it elsewhere, or at least at the same time. People here are not given the proper tools, info, or knowhow for this to be a real democracy, its not. We recieve no facts that aren't spun or lied about.

What I get from you bunch of bushies is that you would rather us not even have an election. there you go, end democracy here to put it elsewhere right? Good job.

And personally I'm looking forward to being able to talk about our "greatest generation" being one of peace someday, not to glorify war or promote war like mentality. When it comes to big things our government is doing, finding a better way to wage war if any should be priortity, not just how to kill better either. I like to think that more the challenge we face, sure we can try selective genocide, but I'd like to think we are better than the terrorists we are fighting, I don't currently think we are much better when we bomb innocent women and children and can so easily forget and dismiss this. Greatest generation indeed, I don't know how much family abuse came from that generation, only because I can't count that high. War destroys peoples minds and lives even if they survive it, even if they are the victors, and we don't even take proper care of our vets wants we drive them insane. They go home and shoot themselves and their wives, just had another one of those here recently in Pueblo colorado.

You war mongers need to grab some guns and enjoy your wars, I agree that we cannot be weak, but I don't agree that we can afford to continue to be hasty and stupid about such things. Are we not the most advanced and richest or whatever, is there no better way, is Bush's way the best and only way. Get your head out of Bush's ass for a minute will ya!

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 66yrs • M •
Leftwood,

I stopped reading your thread after the "our government is based on lies, deciet, ignorant voters, and corporate bullshit etc."

Pssssss, hey lefty, you're one of those voters.

If you truely believe that crap then why not just leave? I don't believe anyone is going to try and stop you.

As for me I have faith in this country. This country has been in far worse times than it is now. I also have faith in the people of this nation, something you obviouly don't have but being the crusader you are I'll give you a little slack.

All you're doing is spewing the typical liberal rhetoric which so much resembles a broken record. Here's another news flash for you, now listen carefully lefty.

I can't stand bush. I think he's an fool and has no business as commander in chief but compared to that idiot kerry..well you get the picture.

Give us something new for god's sake lefty!

Steve From Texas - gonna watch the game now.

46yrs • M
You say I'm a broken record, its true, I wish I had more answers to solve problems, it doesn't mean I'm willing to forget they exist (not on purpose).

You prove my theory of a bullshit system when you say you are voting for someone you don't like, yes no? I'm not blaming people for their votes so much as the system and the information they have available to make these so called votes.
An ignorant vote is a vote based almost purely on persuasion. And people just don't have or know how to find ways to fix this yet.

I know I'm one of those voters, why am I the only one pissed about the information I have to vote with, you might want to ckeck the rest of that post because (although not stated I don't hate our country or government, I have serious issue with the information system, and its up to the government and country to do something, and hopefully we are and will, its just that we cannot afford to be complacent about the endorsement and lack of action against campaigning and tactics (from politicians and media) that promote confusion and innadequate understanding and possistions.

And leaving the country because I don't like something isn't an answer, making it better is, we can't let people get away with abusing power, indeed such corruption is hopefully not what our government is entirely composed of, but, unless I'm mistaken it is real and a problem.

I will correct my post by changing the words, is based, "our government is based on lies, deciet, ignorant voters, and corporate bullshit etc." to has become a government of lies, deciet, ignorant and pursuaded voters. Thats more what I meant, and I mention it at all as a simple reminder what needs not be forgotten, and what may get worse if it is forgotten and not dealt with.

Oh, and who are you to call anyone on being a broken record.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 66yrs • M •
So then lefty,

What you are saying is that everyone in the government is corrupt, a liar, or just downright bad.

What a narrow view, (tunnel vision) you suffer from. I guess that's the real difference between you and me. You're too eager to jump on the bandwagon that it's everybody else's fault, pointing your little finger, armchair quarterbacking, and thinking you're the only one that sees this crap.

I'll let you in a little secret; it's always been this way dummy. The government has never been perfect and has always had corruption. But that's not to mean that everyone working in the government is that way the way you stereo-type them.

I know many fine people working in the government and they strive to make things better. Funny how you never hear about these people isn't it. I guess that's not considered news.

Oh ye of little faith

I love this country, I love our policies, I love the place I live and I'll abide by the rules. I've traveled all over this planet and prefer it here over anywhere else. Perhaps you should get out a little and open your eyes sonny.

Steve From Texas - speaking the truth as always.

[  Edited by SteveFromTexas at   ]
 46yrs • M
I'm glad you have faith in this country, did I say that everyone was corrupt, did I say I know everyone in government, although you seem to.

My pessimistic views, as are often seen, are often mere compensations for people who argue that there aren't any problems with our systems, do you disagree that there is a problem with information peole have access to in terms of making educated votes, do you find it a bit of a problem that you are voting for someone you really don't like? Or are you just so smitten with ingorant complacency that you don't care, because you are getting too old now to care to question and want to just go along for the ride, everybody rides a band wagon on their way to which ever posistion they arrive, to think you have a grasp on things and are above these things shows me that you are little more than what you bitch at others for being, a dummy, though steve, I'm proud to announce that you have graduated to sincere douchebag.

I respect and appreciate being reminded to lighten up and be possitive sometimes, but steve, I'm a child of a different light too, I don't get to live a life of happy thoughts and ignore the cruelties of the world, although this country is just peaches and apple pie to you, its also the home me where I was abused in multiple ways that people are supposed to go to jail for from birth to about 16. So honestly, sometimes you can take you rosey thoughts and go give them to the other sufferers of OUR land and tell them how great things are here.

I don't care for your don't make a stink policy, unless making one that only suits steve's agenda, because its people like you that allow others to continue to abuse their posistions of authority by complacency and telling others to quit bitching, its not that bad.

For all you happy wisdom you sure do make some strongly negative claims and accusations, you are rife with hypocracy and ignorance, you would make a great politician fo me to bitch about.

The fact that its always been this way (dummy, that was real cute) does nothing but strengthen my argument and prove you don't care, or think things are just ok being fucked, I know nothing can ever be perfect, but I'm sick of not being able to get any type of straight answers or information from candidates and the media in general.

I agree that we don't hear enough of good things, but ya, people tend to turn the channel on that, and so we don't, another thing about the media, and an insight into our county's mentality.

"What you are saying is that everyone in the government is corrupt, a liar, or just downright bad."

I haven't met a human being yet thats not a liar, what level of corruption is what is not known per person, and everyone has good and bad in them, so pretty much to one extent or another ya, if you follow a corrupt system you have to be corrupt by default, even if it is only to work your way to change it. Thats a sad fact.

Our government represents us in the world, now I am very confused and unsure of some things, in the MY VIEW thread I posted a site that condensed some info I have been hearing but not in the mainstream, I am very concerned. If you know anything more about this info, I would very much like to hear your comments on it, regarless of your overly kind words to me.

A very good read.
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy