It's not that I don't like people- I just like them more when there not around - Charles Bukowski
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

LIES

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
LIES
This is all about lies, and lies are involved in everything, so anything goes as far as topics as long as lying is the theme.

I wanted to ask society in general, and espescially religious society about its opinions on lying, is it right or wrong, does that vary, how bad of a thing is it, and what does religion say about it?

Is it really ok sometimes, is it ok thats its seen as necessary sometimes? What point do we ask what can we truly believe.

What do we know in life and where did we get the information? Other people right? How honest are these people? Do they even know what they are talking about, or do they just believe they do?

How often do we lie and not even know it, any time we say something that is factually wrong whether we realize it or not.

How much do we lie to ourselves, denial.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
How much do we lie to ourselves, denial. How often do we lie and not even know it, any time we say something that is factually wrong whether we realize it or not, denial
Hmm . . wonder if lack of response is proportional to denial?
Good questions , Is our society truely advancing human rights, are we truely more civilized today, than societies in other less developed countries? Are we a democracy or is it another form of denial? Do we seek to help others or to use them to our own benefit?
Could be a Hard thing to see / seek the truth!

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M
ya, can't say about the responses, they probably deny the thread exists

It may also have to do with why i started it, besides my own interest in the subject, and that was because of all the talk about it in other threads, warranted some serious looking into.
Only time will tell what will come of it.

Can always count on you though

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 62yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Lady Tazmanian is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe everyone lies. What are troubling, is those that lie to benefit themselves.

* rant *

I'm sitting at work and my daughter just called to tell me to go on AIM. She sent me a link to a site for Diamond Nationals. It's a karate tournament held October 8th and 9th. She'll be going with her friend and family (to Minnesota), since my husband and I won't be able to attend. She'll be competing in two events. This is her very first National competition. We're chatting on AIM and she's so excited. I'm telling her how excited I am for her and I'm looking forward to the weekend.

BIG FAT LIE.

The longest I've been away from my daughters is when they went on a three-day camp trip, in sixth grade. I was climbing the walls then because the kids weren't able to communicate with their parents (only if emergency). She'll be gone for four nights! I'm not looking forward to her being away.

I've been to every practice, every belt testing, and every tournament. Now, the most important one, I can't be there.

* / end of long rant *

Society teaches us that any lie other than a white lie is acceptable. The problem with that is, what is a white lie? People misuse such words that can have such a broad definition. It's the not the lie that creates so much devastation. It's the people that abuse them and can't take accountability for their actions.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Society seems to make the lie a necessary invention. We give pretense for our intentions or the lack there of, to keep from hurting the feelings of others, etc.
I try to be honest, at least as honest as I can be. But somethings, people shouldn't be told so best not to say anything. The lie of omission?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M
its the claims of knowing anything, let alone whats best is the first lie, and when you base your life and knowledge on a lie all you think say or do becomes a lie too.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lies are good when they don't get found out, and if they cause pleasure or avoid giving someone pain.

Just as truth can be bad if it causes pain, if someone asks "is my nose THAT big?", you don't say "Yes it is pinochio, and the pyramid sihouette aint helping."

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 46yrs • M
na, 2 sides to every story rule here, its only good for who it helps, cause it may hurt someone else. and if the truth hurts you but you learn from it and become a better person or whatever will change it back to good. Emotions based ideas are not what makes something right or wrong, true or false, its just what makes it feel that way

46yrs • M
Hmmm, on a religious note, I think the warning of false prophets may have held more meaning than generally thought, it definitely concerns lying, but to what degree, and how much of peoples faith is them simply lying to themselves that they know or believe something. What other mention does the bible have about lying, a curiosity hindered by the fear of dying of boredom trying to read the bible, starts off really slow, and the wording, how can people think they understand half of what is written?

46yrs • M
So why isn't society held more accountable for lying, because its hard to prove right, well, what do you think is going to happen, when in the very near future perhaps, lies will be easily detectable by devices that will be commonplace. This can't be too far off, with American's new push for homeland security measures, things like this are getting much more attention.

So would our whole idea of reality based on a private world within our mind, unseen by any collapse. People will be able to know your true feelings on things nakedly, if this doesn't affect you it probably hasn't sunk in, we are so dependant on lies, "Honey, does this dress make me look fat?" Think its funny? "Did you cheat on me?" "Do you love me?" "Do you like having sex with me?" "Do you like the size of my penis?" Will we just stop asking questions, is that how we will deal with it, or will we get over all the facades and learn to live honestly, or will everyone commit suicide, WWIII perhaps, or will the universe simply implode, that's got my bet.

Hmmm...........

Here is the reformed court swear in under new circumstances "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth etc.?"

"No"

"Doesn't matter we know anyway, hahahaha"

62yrs • F •
quote:
But somethings, people shouldn't be told so best not to say anything

Very true. I'm always expressing this to my daughters. When my youngest was a toddler, she believed -- why be quiet if you can pay them a compliment? She once told an obviously obese woman, how thin she was. She complimented a balding man on his lovely thick hair. I have no doubt that in both incidents, the people walked away with hurt feelings.

I think lying reveals more about an individual's psychology being, then the lie itself. In my daughter's case, she has a caring soul and her intentions were sincere.

I once worked with a perpetual liar. The stories she would tell were endless. She would send herself flowers and claim it was from her fiancé, whom never existed. I felt awful that she felt the need to go to such lengths to be acknowledged. People that accepted her lies were fuel for more fictitious stories.

I believe the act of lying becomes a game with the habitual liar. The mentality of whom they can fool next, develops into a larger quest.

It would be very hard to develop a machine that can be 100% fool proof when detecting a lie. It would be hard to distinguish the truth in regards to lying, opposed to people lying by telling the truth.

46yrs • M
That's how is seems, lies are detected by internal fluctuations, and our brains make brainwaves that like radio waves leave our skull, they are already trying do decifer this, no it will not be hard at a point in the can't be sure how distant future, so fon't get comfortable on the notion that people are going to get away with lying forever, its not gonna happen, thats probably going to either be the end of religion, or the biggest religious boom. This day will come, like it or not.

some things shoudn't be said? Its only applicable in the realm of peoples feelings, ya its gonna hurt your feelings to find out your spouse is cheating on you, but you can either find out when they are kind enough to come home pregnant or when they give you a disease. This concept though partially noble, often seems selfish also in the sense that you often just would rather not feel bad for saying something that might hurt someones feelings.

Aand I really want this issue posed in terms of politics and governmental leaders, business owners, all criminals, all these people get away with what they do because of lying, and if you are ok with that, then enjoy the war, relish in the glory of a draft should one come, enlist today, die tomorrow, just as long as you don't hear what might hurt yours or someones feelings.

People and their precious lies, makes me sick.

62yrs • F •
quote:
Aand I really want this issue posed in terms of politics and governmental leaders, business owners, all criminals, all these people get away with what they do because of lying

We all know that politicians lie but when they're caught in the act we're all astonished. Why is that?

quote:
People and their precious lies, makes me sick.

As well as me. I don't know how a person can feel good about themselves knowing the deception they produce.

46yrs • M
How do you feel about yourself?

62yrs • F •
Myself? Hmmm, are you accusing me of lying about something? Hmmm?

The one thing that I have found with liars is, they never remember their lies. They often get caught in their own web of deceipt.

I also believe in karma. What goes around comes around.

LIES
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy