Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

glOBaL waRMInG

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
glOBaL waRMInG
I'm currently reading an article in National Geographics. Its fact, not fiction and it isn't in the future, its now. Tempurture readings have been taken around the world and compared with past records. It is now to late for us all to buy electric cars, or, is this caused by a polar shift. I have read somewhere it has moved five miles. Some will say, it was going to happen anyways. That may be true, we don't know that for sure, but computer similations have shown that even if this was mother nature, we have pushed it forward, faster, possibly faster than mother nature could compensate for.

I come home from work and my wife tells me about the hurricane hitting Florida. The largest ever known they predict. Millions of people are trying to leave and they're opening up both lanes of the highway. Well, I want to say, "That's what they get for voting for Bush." But I know better. I live on a flood plain. It could some day be underwater, or become a plateu surrounded by water, who knows.

There are predictions about 2012, its when the Egyption calander ends, and everyone has their theory and are watching events closely, clubs and groups have been created. It might be a good idea if the Cynic creats its own section. It will be the next big thing after Kerry becomes president.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 64yrs • M •
Oh ya - I've also read that we are past due for an ice age, could that be because of the global warming?

In the back an old barn I'm converting to a green house. Due to the hurricane there is a wood shortage and we need to learn to conserve, so I've decided I will use up all the good pieces of scrap wood first before I buy any wood for the project. It might look funny. But hey - Its just a green house.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If this global warming was going to happen anyway, what's the problem? Let us suppose we've sped up the natural heating, its not like we've made things worse. It only means we have to deal with the problem, as opposed to our children.

Secondly, the Earth has known far higher temperatures with life still working fine on it.

Thirdly, high levels of carbon dioxyde (the main greenhouse gaz we emit) means that plants will fare better (just as we perform slightly better at high oxygen low-altitudes). They have more activity, consume more carbon dioxyde.

The Earth's temperature regulation is done through checks. We could hypothetically destroy them, but it would require far more then merely accelerating what was already happening.

"Oh ya - I've also read that we are past due for an ice age, could that be because of the global warming? "
I have not heard of this.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 64yrs • M •

quote:
NOW can you show some compassion????

Isn't a lot of that left in this world - maybe we deserve what we are getting.

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Isn't a lot of that left in this world - maybe we deserve what we are getting.
The seeds we have planted with our guttony with fossil fuel, etc.
quote:
I have not heard of this.
One theory of the ice age may be caused as a reation to the effects of gobal warming. The decease of ice pacts raises water level which decreases the level of the biosphere's carbon dioxide vs oxygen exchange dynamics which results in concentrations of gasses which leads to an ice age. Which in turn pushes the reverse reation leading back to a moderate climate with the appearance of land mass.
In general something along that line

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
"Isn't a lot of that left in this world - maybe we deserve what we are getting. "
Oh just jump of a bridge if your going to be like this!

72yrs • M •
So we are not responsible for our collective actions?
Granted I have been against war for a long time so I feel I have a responsibility. To act thusly because I don't accept the actions of others?

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Domz0r is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Global warming is an unavoidable occurance, of the increaseing population of our world.

I personaly do not see the problems with it, itts human nature to evolve with the problems we face and continue our lives.

And i guess most people are worried about rising sea levels, which wont happen.

Think of a glass of water, you place an ice cube in it, and it displaces water, and causes the level to rise.
You leave the ice cube in the water, it melts, yet the level of water does not change, due to the fact, as water freezes it expands, which causes a greater mass, which displaces more water.

Once the ice has melted, it will have a lower mass, therefore displaceing less water..so if you think about it, they may get lower.

And hey, who dosent want their country to get hotter... i know forwell i want mine too (England) the rain gets a bit boring sometimes

And that makes me think....the hotter it gets, the more water is evaporated and collected into clouds, which as it cools down will cause it drop as precipitation, (rain, fog, sleet,hail etc etc) which means more rain if the world gets hotter......joy

"I am Domz0r....roar!!!!"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
I personaly do not see the problems with it, itts human nature to evolve with the problems we face and continue our lives.
ya, your right about ice is not as dense as water [mass/ volume].
Which is it the north or the south pole (artic or anartic) which rest on a land mass? But then the ice caps do extend above water, don't they?
You like it hot ter huh? Imagine England as a tropical rain forest, man that humidity can be bad.
Then all that carbon monoxide from the reactions of gasses, not to mention the acid rain but they the plant growth will take care of our oxygen needs right? Not to worry!

37yrs • M •
Mind you, the sea level would go up if global warming becomes significant. Because the hotter a liquid is, the more dilated it becomes and therefore takes up more and more space.

72yrs • M •
quote:
Webster New World Dictionary of Science

polar reversal: change in the polarity of the earth's magnetic field . . .
Studies of the magnetism retained in rocks at the time of their formation have shown that the polarity of the magnetic field has reversed repeatedly during geological time.

37yrs • M •
That's true, if not much else.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Domz0r is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Mind you, the sea level would go up if global warming becomes significant. Because the hotter a liquid is, the more dilated it becomes and therefore takes up more and more space.

True, but think how hot that would actually have to become to get to that stage?

You swim in the sea in any hot place for, ou swim down maybe a metre, to a mtere and a half, the water is cold (ove experianced this in Jamacia, Turkey Australia and New Zeland So i know hot countries ).

Now the vast amjority of the oceans are over 2 miles deep, or even more!

Think how hot it would actually have to become before the water got so hot the molecules would spread ebough to make water levels rise..i reckon we'll be dead before that happens

Hmmm Optimisim....

"I am Domz0r....roar!!!!"
 72yrs • M •
quote:
Hmmm Optimisim....
Although the definition doesn't state anything about it, it did reference the intervals when it happened.
Which would seem to fall in line with geological events that shaped our world. Started wondering if they were connected in some way. Say the polar ice caps did melt, the distribution of mass of the earth would change & the oceans would rise. Hmm . . . the tidal effects caused by the moon might be enough to cause an increasing variation (oscillations) to flip the earth's spin axis like a gyroscope. A likely chain of events to cause periodic reversal of magnetic fields?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 37yrs • M •
The reversal of the field is perfectly normal, and I'm pretty sure, is unrelated to global warming.

glOBaL waRMInG
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy