Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Chicken or the Egg - Page 4

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I still think the chicken came first with more to add. They did a DNA study and found that female came first - don't know how that would work, but my wife tells me that it is possible for a woman to have child without a male. And it does happen in nature, it is rare though. Ofcourse the child will be a female.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Rajpal is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The egg definetly came first - birds evolved from egg laying reptile ancestors.

"If you know the candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago"
 28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Magical is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
RAJPAL is right, That's what ive heard in things such as scince shows or scince books, i kinda forget where i first heard it thoguh.

CAPTAIN CYNIC!

"If I'm no help, don't complain, I'm a game master"
 64yrs • M •
When you remember, share it with us please - I'm curious

28yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Magical is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
  • I got a special thermose.... for you!
    BANG

"If I'm no help, don't complain, I'm a game master"
     37yrs • M •
    A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
    quote:
    I still think the chicken came first with more to add. They did a DNA study and found that female came first - don't know how that would work, but my wife tells me that it is possible for a woman to have child without a male. And it does happen in nature, it is rare though. Ofcourse the child will be a female.

Okcitykid: what your refering to is known as asexual reproduction. Asexual reproduction doesn't require gametes and therefore the process of meiosis doesn't occur. Sperm is not needed in asexuality. Instead mitosis- cell division occurs. Only very few organisms are asexual. It is rare because, it doesn't produce genetic variation in a population; and for a species population to thrive it must have genetic variation. The reasons why asexual exists is because it is beneficial in some cases.

Yes birds evolved from dinosaurs. Yet, the hypothetical question 'what came first', is actually asking what came first- the animal or reproduction. Well of course the animal came first. As I've already said chickens (the animal) evolved from DNA mutations which produced the zygote (egg). The function of reproduction occured further down the evolutionary line. Cell division created the first animal, not reproduction (which requires a zygote). Therefore the chicken came first.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
    [  Edited by summit at   ]
     64yrs • M •
    Its Parthenogenesis - my wife told me, she's a science teacher. She's real smart(alick).

It can happen and has, a virgin can have child, but it will be female, it is very rare.

37yrs • M •
    yes thats correct, parthenogenesis is a form of asexual reproduction. Gynogenesis and Hybridogenesis are other forms. Very weird indeed.

37yrs • M •
    A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
    it truly amazes me that u thought i was serious.. i really dont care about that evolution dna shit.. when i said that the chicken was already in the egg thus them appearing at the same time i was only joking..

honestly we cant answer that question with 100% accuracy.. therefore i joke.. the question is useless to me

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
     37yrs • M •
    Don't worry analytical29, I speculated your sarcasm. I was refering to 'other' responses in general.

37yrs • M •
    A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
    ok well then i apologize for the comment

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
     41yrs • M •
    A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
    quote:
    I overstand fully the uniqueness of the "chicken" and the latter. I also overstand the fact that they are both words. but however no matter how you come about the name, no matter what name you give or do not give the two subjects you'll still come to the same thing. 1+1 will always equal to 2. Why purpose things on evolution when sex is the only way to create things? not sex on a physical term, but the joining of two to make one...what can an egg be joined with to produce an egg??.......

This is a good question. Egg + egg = nothing. However, chicken + chicken = egg. Nonetheless, a chicken evolves from an egg, and an egg evolves from chickens. Thus in order for there to be a first egg there must be 2 chickens. If there was just on egg there must also be another egg produced within the lifetime within of that egg for reproduction to occur. So what I am saying is that our clasical definition of a chicken may not be at all. Imagine that one species is (1) another (2) another (3) etc. Then my point is that maybe species 0.9 mates with species 1.2 which gradually becomes what we perceive as 1 but which in actuality is never 1 but say 1.0003 etc., until gradually we have another species, 1.6 but which we define as 2.

""No words""
     69yrs • F •
    A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
    If the debate is between a chicken and a chicken egg, it would be the chicken, because until the chicken hatched, there would be no such thing as either.......if that made any sense

34yrs • M •
    LoneByrd is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
    What if the egg was evolved and then it hatched a chicken that laid another egg =o?

Wanna know why it doesn't matter either way, that makes no sense.

It really doesn't matter which came first, how is the hen/chicken going to reproduce if it's alone?

"Reality hits hard. Your perception hits it even harder."
     33yrs • M •
    jockerse is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
    Something that was not a chicken laid an egg that then birthed a chicken, thereby making the egg from which this new creature hatched in fact, a chicken egg. At some point, an animal called the chicken emerged, and whatever animal came immediately before it laid the egg that gave rise to the new animal through mutations or a recombination of dna.

From this reasoning I come to the conclusion that it was the egg that came first.

"\"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.\" -George Orwell"
    Chicken or the Egg - Page 4
      1    2    3    4    5  
    About Captain Cynic
    Common FAQ's
    Captain Cynic Guides
    Contact Us
    Terms of Use
    Privacy Policy
    General Forum Rules
    Cynic Trust Levels
    Administrative Contact Forum
    Registration
    Lost Password
    General Discussion
    Philosophy Forums
    Psychology Forums
    Health Forums
    Quote Submissions
    Promotions & Links
     Captain Cynic on Facebook
     Captain Cynic on Twitter
     Captain Cynic RSS Feed
     Daily Tasker
    Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy