Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Random picture thread. - Page 20

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
my girlfriend and i... also quite accurate...

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Man, all of you guys must have been hell to give birth to with those huge melons.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

35yrs • F •

35yrs • F •

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Whats the story on those first two pics, of the statue? It is a statue right?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 35yrs • F •
Yes, it's only a statue. I'm not sure whats the story behind it though. All I know is that it was seen on the streets of Prague.

35yrs • F •
Knicked from the Heavy Trash weblog:

WHAT'S HEAVY TRASH?

An anonymous arts organization of architects, designers and urban planners, Heavy Trash creates large, disposable art objects that draw community and media attention to urban issues. By explaining a particular urban problem and suggesting a solution, Heavy Trash seeks to provoke dialogue among the residents of Los Angeles.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH GATED COMMUNITIES?

Most people want to live in communities that are safe for their families and most homeowners want to protect their property values. Although these are fundamentally reasonable goals, walling off one section of the city from another is not a reasonable way to achieve them. In fact, doing so can actually harm the very communities in need of protection. According to USC Lusk Center Director Ed Blakely and UC Berkeley professor Mary Gail Snyder,

"When public services and even local government are privatized, when the community of responsibility stops at the gates, the function and the very idea of democracy are threatened. Gates and barricades that separate people from one another also reduce people's potential to understand one another and commit to any common or collective purpose."

Instead of walling ourselves off in gated communities, alternatives, such as the following, should be explored:

* Unrestricted pedestrian access. Since it is difficult to commit a property crime in Los Angeles without a car, unrestricted pedestrian access could be provided to all gated communities. This would return the parks, streets and sidewalks that have been removed from the public realm back to the residents of Los Angeles.

* Investment in public infrastructure. Encourage investment in public infrastructure -- like parks, streets, sidewalks and schools -- by restoring local control over property tax revenues, essentially fixing the unintended consequences of Proposition 13.

* "More eyes on the street." Amend zoning code to encourage more mixed-use residential neighborhoods with 24-hour activity. Legalize second units ("Granny Flats" ) in single-family homes. Both of these actions would put more people outside during the normal course of a day, and nothing works quite as well to make neighborhoods safer, friendlier and livelier.

Official website: http://www.heavytrash.blogspot.com/

35yrs • F •
Stair to Park

In June 1997, Heavy Trash installed their first project -- a 2,000-pound stair providing temporary access to Triangle Park at Santa Monica and Bundy. A 7'-high fence had been erected around the park to prevent the homeless from using the grassy enclave. The City solved the "problem" by using $28,000 of tax-payer funds to fence off the park and permanently remove it from the public realm. For three weeks, the stair allowed the local community to use the park again.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Ana Rpo is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
kind of a very modern art, like Christo and Jean Claude thing, well no soy alike but I wanted to mention them

"In the sea of ilutions and frustations that life is, some swim and some drown"
 35yrs • F •
moss art

34yrs • F •
Christo and Jean-Claude

34yrs • F •
Wrapping huge places

35yrs • F •
Wow, thats awsome. Thats when they wrapped the gates of Central Park.

Random picture thread. - Page 20
  16    17    18    19    20    21    22    23    24  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy