What is it really that motivates you? The need to fly or the fear to stop? - Attolia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Existentialism

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that protege is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Existentialism
> Man has free will
> Life is a series of choices
> Most choices result in some negative outcomes
> Man must follow choices through
> Humans are greedy and manipulative
> Some things are irrational or absurd, without explanation

That's the basis of Existentialism.

Frankly, I agree, up until the last point. I believe everything CAN be explained, it just hasn't been yet. Otherwise, I suppose I'm an Esistentialist.

Works for me. How 'bout you?

""In the beginning, Man created God""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
man has free will- dont know
life is a series of choices- correct for majority, not for mystics or spiritual people
most choices result in negative outcomes- true for majority, again not so for mystics
humans are greedy and manipulative- true for majority, not so for(yup, you guessed it!) mystics and spiritual people.
some things are irrational withought explanation- only a small minority, like some unanswerable questions.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i used to be real big into existentialism, but it just depressed the hell out of me. some of it may be true, although i question the belief in free will; still, i think people should hope for the best in life, otherwise they'll be stuck in a pessimistic spiral. there are some really good existential works of literature, though, that people should check out.

"You are reading this."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cantersha is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The only thing free in this world is a dead man.

"your only poor when you compare yourself with the man down the street."
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that uneasy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

I wonder how/if I can keep living without certaintly or a belief that displays the world in a positive light. Does anyone have something they find solace in that keeps them positive, or maybe some interesting philosophies?

35yrs • M •
Practice meditation.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
meditating and laughing... altho the laughing gets on other peoples nerves when its not appropriate, at least i still have a good time!

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that uneasy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

Practice meditation.

meditating and laughing... altho the laughing gets on other peoples nerves when its not appropriate, at least i still have a good time!

Do you guys believe it is somehow making you one with the Universe (or that it has some other spiritual significance), or is it just something that relaxes you? I've had a brush with Taoism and I've barely scratched the surface on Eastern thought/mysticism/etc.

(That's a great episode of ATHF, btw. "I don't even know why I have these goggles. )

35yrs • M •
Yes, true medition does have a spiritual significance. Withought going into details, it's discovering your inner self, realizing that your personality is not 'you',that you are not just name and form.

40yrs • M •
i know most people associate meditation with eastern religions, but i have grown up in a christian... and i mean christian family.

when i was little i practiced TM (transcendental meditation) which is the type of meditation that most people think of ie- discovering your inner self and attempting "nothingness" or "nirvana"

but as i got a little older my parents got back to their christian roots and so i learned "centering prayer" which is basically meditation for christians... this is where - through meditation - one is able to become more aware of the presence of God. you attempt to clear your thoughts so that nothing but God remains.

a very good episode indeed, uneasy. my personal favorites are the Mooninite's episodes tho.

35yrs • M •
It's the same thing. Presence of God, nirvana, their the same.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
> Humans are greedy and manipulative

Umm...no, existentialism does not teach that. You were right about everything else, tho.

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
 40yrs • M •
i disagree angel, the presence of an all powerful "being"/"force" and the "abscense of everything" are two very different concepts.

37yrs • M •
GKR Warrior is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I agree completely with you Wyote, Angel what brings you to that conclusion?

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling... but in rising every time we fall..."
 35yrs • M •
When there is that 'absence of everything', that is when you feel the presence of God. During meditation, when you attain complete inner peace, that is enlightnment, or Nirvaana. And in Nirvaana, you get in touch with the inner you, or in other words, feel the presence of God.

Existentialism
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy