This is the only life you've got - Bob Yow Z!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Theory of Predictibility of Evolution

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey ppl.
Well, u know how everyone says that if the universe was started all over again, everything would be different. Instead of humans, there would three eyed, 5 legged creatures etc.
However, it is known that the universe was created by the big bang. If the force of the blast had even been a little smaller or larger,then the universe would not have been able to carry on.
After the big bang, particles went in different paths at different speeds and started colliding with each other, thus gradually forming different species.The reason we have two legs and two eyes instead of four legs and three eyes is because of the initial force of the big bang.If the force of the blast had been lower, the the speeds and directions of the particles would have been affected. Particles would have collided with different particles, and at different speeds, thus forming a different kind of species.However, these different species could only be formed if the force of the big bang was changed, which is not possible, as the universe can only be formed by a fixed force of the big bang.
Thus, even if the universe was created a thousand times more, evolution would be the same, there would be no 'chance', as the initial blast would always be the same. The particles would go in the same directions, at the same speeds, and would join the same particles, thus forming the same species.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
last time i checked, the big bang theory was still a theory

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Gravity is also a theory. However, we are so personally aquainted with the evidence for it, that we laymen can't deny it. If we could deal with the Big Bang's evidence each day (like we do with gravity), then no one would deny it.

I'm pretty sure the big bang could have been different without causing an end to the universe. Though I'm no expert. I don't see why it would make the universe impossible. And besides, quantum mechanics mixed with chaos theory means that each big bang (even if they were exactly the same) means there will be small random variations which will eventually have big consequences (like, 6 legged men).

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that anchises868 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There's a theory out there that basically asks, Why is the universe the way it is? The answer to them is, Well, if it were different, then we wouldn't be around to question it. If the Gravitational Constant was slightly different, there would be not enough gravitational force to hold the galaxies together and there would be no Earth or too much gravitational force and the galaxies would collapse in on themselves and again, no Earth.

Stuff like that. I think it's interesting. Some people use that as evidence of a divine being, because there had to be some sort of intelligence behind setting up the conditions exactly like they are for us to be here and question why conditions are the way they are.

(shrug) As I said, interesting interpretation.

--kev

"“My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.” –Benjamin Disraeli"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that anchises868 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just had a strange thought of my own though (assuming you're right). Maybe deja vu is you remembering that something happened because it did the last time the Big Bang occurred.

"“My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.” –Benjamin Disraeli"
 80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I get a big bang out of that theory. Although I truly believe that if I'd have changed my mind and done some other thing at any given point in my life that I might not have the present conditions that I have (being a victim of sci-fi writers of the 50's and 60's), I find that the idea that our evolution would have led to us having 6 legs/ 3 eyes etc. is absurd. The creatures we evolved from didn't have legs or eyes. We developed into our form based on our necessity to survive in our environment. If I needed 6 legs (do I get 3 dicks and 6 balls too?) I'd have them, and so would you. I don't, you don't and no matter how many times we bang or get banged we'll only have the number we need to survive. Besides, I don't want to eat to maintain 4 more legs (not to mention the additional genitalia).

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 35yrs • M •
If the force of the Big bang was changed, then our enviroment would also be different, so perhaps we really may need 3 dicks if that would be the case.

It is a scientific fact that the force of the big bang has to be exactly the same.Of course, various occurrances could affect evolution, like storms etc. But it could be that those storms etc could also have been affected by the force of the big bang. For example, a million years after the big bang, 5 trillion 'A' particles would collide with 3 billion 'B' particles, thus producing a storm at a given time, and at a given force. If the force of the big bang would be different, then perhaps a million years later 5 billion particle 'B's would collde with 3 thousand particle 'A's instead, producing a different type of storm of a different force, thus affecting evolution in a different way.

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that uneasy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

Our universe is, supposedly, a closed system. To some ppl, this means that nothing "supernatural" can exist. Therefore, as long as the events of the past were the same each time, they would yield the exact same result (b/c its a closed system and nothing's interfering).

I don't see why evolution is even in this conversation.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, as somebody said before, you would still have that slight randomness factor of quantum mechanics, so i don't think it would necessarily be the exact same no matter how many times it was repeated, even if the blast was exactly the same each time.

"You are reading this."
 35yrs • M •
Yes, the uncertainty theory may play a part, but perhaps that randomness may also be affected by the force of the big bang.The uncertainty theory of quantum mechanics does not mean that things happen randomnly, just that as we can not know exactly the current state of things, we can not predict them.But yes, the uncertainty theory is a important point.

80yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that squatteam is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would think by now that scientists would have figured out that repetitions could not possibly be the same unless everything exactly repeated itself. Every milisecond of each iteration exactly the same. Otherwise, masses and preponderances would must definately be different. All creatures on all worlds would have to be exactly at the same place in development as they were on the previous iteration etc. - in other words, the real deja vu. With that in mind, you are always going to fall down and skin your knee, the redhead in the 11th grade will never let you get to first base, your wife will always leave you and so will your dog. There is no free will. There is no opportunity to improve nor to do worse. We will always have a Nixon and an OJ, always have a JFK and a Nicole, and there will always be a 9/11 and no WMDs. We are what we are and do what we do and nothing makes any difference.
You may ponder why I go down this road. It means we have always/will always bomb Hiroshima, have/will always set off H-bombs. The ending atoms will always need to exactly the same for all iterations. Always and forever and always exactly the same. You will always be as fat/skinny as you are because fatter/thinner might change things.
I'm sorry, but if you are arguing that the big bang will always be the same/must always be the same you are way out in left field. There are too many variables that come into the equation. How many split atoms are permissable? How much extra body weight is allowed?
There isn't a check-in counter for the ride to the big bang, and no one to check your baggage allowance. Someone will always try to sneak another carry-on, then we really might end up with 3 dicks...or none.
Hooey and nonsense. We can't even figure out electricity and you're trying to tell me the rules for our next big bang? Next time, I'm bringing a date (hope that won't screw-up your party).

"Popular dissidents are merely pacifiers given to us by the Government to keep us in line and thinking someone is making a ruckuss."
 35yrs • M •
First we must know with surety what affects evolution. Right now we just have a vague concept, we just say, 'any small change'. More research needs to be done so we can say with authority what affects evolution and what doesn't.

37yrs • M •
dragon slayre is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well, I don't think we will ever know what happens after the big bang, because we aren't going to live to see it, humans should most definitely be extinct by that time anyway, humans are destroying so much, and creating so much waste, will they be around much longer? maybe a few thousand years.
It all comes down to whether things do happen randomly, or whether everything happens exactly as it should, and this would take lots and lots of formulas to find, precise calculations, and lots of testing. Maybe impossible, deffinitely in our lifetime.
but then of course that would mean that there is no variability in what would happen next big bang, which if humans are around, would try to stop, what a laugh.

"You wouldn't exist without me -myself"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Anything which affects how many offspring something has affects evolution. The most common thing being something which kills you before you have any offspring.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 51yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Blissfull doom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well there's evolution of the universe, and plain old evolution on earth, we only know of one place in the evolution of the universe where the unique conditions arise, for plant animal human life etc. to occur and thats here, but being only armed with limited math's [TM], to fathom the complexities of the immense unknown, then you cant really say beyond the limits if events in evolution will reccur to infinity the same like groundhog universe, humans have a choice, so is that the same as if a galaxy settles into a certain formation, just consider the theory and its opposite equivelant, but dont let either become an entrenched belief,also consider that any thoughts and theories may just occur down here in humans heads,and never be echoed across the void to sentient beings, wether the final choice you make was inevitable anyway is another story i suppose, do you reckon there are multiverses? Do you reckon there are quantun multiverses with interlinked consciousness?

1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy