Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Are Videogames Good or Bad?

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
NevaEndinThinkr is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ok i have played videogames since i was 10 or even younger. I was even called a gamefreak. I have played all types of games from the extremely violent Mortal Kombat to the Very Emotional Addictive final Fantasy Series. In my opinion games dont affect anyone unless they have that desire allready. i have killed thousands of humans on video games and would never even think of doing it in real life. So i dont know whats the big deal with videogames, i played plenty voilent ones i even liked them and i havent stole a car, shot a person,got in a fight, drank, did drugs, went on a killing spree or perform any of the things i did in the games. In my opinion most games or even all are very playable by Christians i actually think its better for someone to play these games and be able to perfrom these acts so realistic instead of having to go out and do them in real life to find out the consequences. In my opinion a game is a escape thats all a escape from reality a chance to exprience a world that you would never want to be in or perfrom actions you would never want to have to do in real life instead you perform them in a virtual world safely with out any consequences except maybe less exercise and no Tan lol. I am not saying that everyone should play these games i am just saying that if they really are christians and believe in the christian morals they would play this games and enjoy the madeup world and events and never even come near to performing any of it in real life in fact doing it in the game may help prevent them from performing these acts in real life. Lastly i have videogames to thank for keeping me away from drugs,alcohol, and bad company cus if i wasnt addicted to them and staying home and playing them imagine where i would have been or what i could have been doing to excape reality like the games did for me.. think about that.also games should still only be something to take up your free time so dont get as addicted as i was go do your homework or go do something even more constructive. i have lost my addiction cus i work and do my spiritual seeking now but i will still not pass up a good Final Fantasy Title and nothing wrong with that better than going out and getting high.dont you think.

--Dwight E. Fox Bahamas

"Nothing\\\'s Impossible, It Just Hasn\\\'t Been Done Yet"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i couldnt agree with you more on this one! altho something to add is the fact that the little kiddies shouldnt play games with violence in them. if they start off to young and still havent figured out the difference between reality and fantasy it will surely screw them up in some way lol. i think 8-10 is a pretty safe age to start getting in to games and then nothing too terribley violent until their maybe 12-14 depending on their grasp of the world... ya know?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 41yrs • M •
NevaEndinThinkr is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
well i think the same i jus forgot to mention that part thanks

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, I don't think that people can get violent from just a game. I think there has to be more to it then just the game. Although the game does have an effect I think there has to be more to it.

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I guess you can say i am a final fantasy child. i grew up with it becasue my older bros palyed them all the time, and i also learnt to read by playing final fantasy 3. So i think games can also be benifcial to ones life and moral standards. Depends on what you play also..

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yeah, ive been a video game fan since i first got a nes back in like 88 when i was five years old or so. anyway, i think i turned out nonviolent enough. pretty much everything you said was right on the money with what i think--if there weren't games like gta3 there would probably be a lot more crimes in the us, because people act out their overly-agressive urges in the games.
anyway, i read somewhere that people who commit suicide because it happens on television or because of song lyrics were almost always very much at risk for it already. im sure this is the same for violence with video games as well.

"You are reading this."
 41yrs • M •
thanks for your helpful responses i am glad to no that most of you agree wit my opinion and i must say that final fantasy games also teach alot about relationships and love.

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Video games are a lot of fun and like the otrigional poster I have broably butchered the eath's population if you could put all those kills into 1 tally not to mention destroyed every rock in the asteroid feild - but that was years ago and they probly gre back... I don't think it carries over into reality at all as we understand that it is a game from the get go.
I think the worst thing about these games is the fact that they can socially isolate us- but that is not necesarily true in all cases of course.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 40yrs • M •
also, your "play time" versus "game time" should be no more than like 60-40 or even 70-30.... thats assuming your "play time" doesnt include things like the computer and tv the point is, dont obsess

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Games can be dangerous.. Especially the really addictive ones. Like say, any online RPG, any turn based game (its 2 AM.. one more turn..), any RPG with a wicked plot.
Be careful with them (serious ! )

Some are harmless or even good, like a good game of console game like mario kart with your buddies.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 40yrs • M •
yea, i refuse to even try Evercrack.... it skurs me!

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I see your points games can be overly addicting- I have been there! I also like the point about Martio cart I feel as well there should be more games that are not based on sooting or killing- I don't mind them myself but a constant diet of that can be bad for the soul.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, games are definatly good if you play with 1 or more friends. It makes a lot of the games better.

And although I am addicted to gaming it never is out of my control. I always make sure I know what I have to do for the day and I just work my gaming around that time frame. I've been able to stop myself whenever I wanted.

Gaming is something I do to waste time, (ok granted I have a lot of time to waste in my life.) But I still get out and do thing every now and then.

Also a great way to still game and yet not worry about getting to lost in the game is to play the game with some friends. Though you might find that you talk about it a lot to each other, your friends can help you keep it as a hobby and not as a lifestyle.

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yeah, i know what you mean about evercrack--played it pretty much every day for like 2 years in high school, like five or six hours a day--i couldn't get any work done or anything.
when i heard about star wars galaxies coming out, made by the same company that made everquest, i vowed never to play it, because im pretty sure i would like stop going to school and just sit in front of that damn computer until my parents kicked me out, lol.

"You are reading this."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that username is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
who ever says video games are bad is a dumb ass. we have bin doing bad shit way befor there were video games. i mean the holocaust all these wars. its just some more oprah bull shit. its just abunch of agry mothers trying to fined somthing blaim all the violence on.

""to start press any key", "whers th"
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy