The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. - Amarant Coral (Final Fantasy IX)
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do teens find Chruch Boring?

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
NevaEndinThinkr is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well it seems like every teen i invite to Church says that it is to boring.
i mean what is that come on church is not a place to entertain you or go to to talk to friends. the purpose of Church is to worship the almighty and only that, and that worship doesnt have to include entertainment, dancing, gossip or even singing. All you have to do is go to Church once and ask God to enter into your heart and see how just the process of adoring and worshiping him will make you feel the ultimate joy and complete your happiness and open yourself to a new come only to Church to love and adore your saviour and you will forget completly about all the other foolishness that was suppose to make you feel happy and excited but last no more than a spur of the moment and then quickly turn into stress, depression and pure unhappiness cus stressed, depressed and unhappy is how the devil loves to see you.

Never make a excuss that you cant go to Church because if you love God and have him in you he will make it possible everytime and anywhere.

what yall think?

"Nothing\\\'s Impossible, It Just Hasn\\\'t Been Done Yet"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Strongclad is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, I'm guessing that you're inviting teens that are already Christians to church, am I right?

If you were inviting non-believing teens to a Christian church, you could understand why they think it's so boring. We cannot expect a non-Christian to join in worship and communion because they have no reason to. They do not hold the same beliefs and do not understand the implications this faith has on their lives. Why would they think that they need a church community to belong to if they do not believe in Satan, or even God for that matter?

But if it's Christian teens that you are inviting to church there could be a whole other explanation. There are many teens at the church that I go to, and we can't expect them all to take worship seriously. For some, it just isn't their time, and many still haven't really thought about what their faith really means to them. Either way, the only thing you can do is keep trying. That's what Christians are here to do.

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Maybe those teens don't believe in God. Or rather, they do, but they were taught God, they didn't find God.
They don't trully believe and so the church is just another school, and one which is not based on facts but on a faith they don't have.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Strongclad is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Saying that a faith isn't based on facts is only an assumption if you've never looked for any facts, or taken them into account.

What books have you read about Christian facts DumbTeen?

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
 37yrs • M •
If a religion could be proven, we wouldn't have protestants and catholics, shiites and sunnis, hindus and suhkkis (sp?) confuciunists and bhuddists all coexisting together.
When something is based on facts, there is a common consensus that something is true (say newton's laws of gravity). This until new facts appear (Mercury's odd orbit) leading to a time of various theories and possibilities. This until one of these theories proves true (Einstein's General Relativity) and that becomes considered common knowledge to be 'true'.
This sort of evolution of the 'truth' occurs especially in biology, geology, physics, chemistry and history.

When something is based on facts, and everyone has the same. People eventually accept a common conclusion. This does not happen in religion because it is not based on hard facts.
There is a reason why faith is emphasized so much in the Christian religion.

Finally I could get into the various details at why I don't believe personally, but I'm not sure that's the point of the topic

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gothabomber is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think teenagers find church boring becuase if u were told that if u were to worship a god thats been worshiped for thousands of years in a church that dont even smell to inviting, also adding all the traditions of the church ( which u will find hard to prove that almost anyone likes them) then psycilogicly they wont accept it cuase after all thats what out teenage minds want and desire things that exite US as individuals. You cant expect some one who believes in god or not to accept that they must sit through church- a task which has also been treated like a chore for thousands of years- to show that god loves them, without wanting or feeling the need to do something that entertains them. If u try an oppress someones desire for entertainment and exitment then ur no better that a totalitarian.

"everything but never anything"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Teens find church boring because it is BORING!

What is exciting or stimulating about a bunch of crusty old folks listening to some preacher's witless prattle? It is time for the church to move into the 21st century-
They need neon lights and some hot nuns, maybe a really cool Jesus action film or like some video games like Super mario world but with Jesus you know something like that. Maybe get new bibles as well - ones that make sense to regular people and get some illustrations in there to. And if you want to have any luck at all don't have it first thing in the morning. Like on that movie Dogma maybe you need to put a spin on jesus- he was on the cross for a few days- what a dreary symbol you should go with the "buddy christ"!

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the best thing the church has to offer in my opinion is the sermon, and when youre a teenie boppin freakazoid you could care less about anything except who the next justin/britney is gonna be or whose gonna ask who out on monday when schools back in session. just thinking about "church" is makeing me bored right now of course its gonna make kids bored. but theyll all find their way eventually.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This agruement over the semantics of beliefs and facts is really getting old.

But I do agree with Strongclad as to why teens you invite to church don't like it. The only thing I can add to that is the Catholic Church has one over on you. Their mass is only 15 minutes long, and they will have morning and evening mass (if you're a late sleeper). In the that short mass the priest finds time to tell a sermon, and it's usually a pretty good one. When I was a teenager, I had a good friend who was Catholic. I wouldn't classify him as a religious person, but he never missed mass, and I'd often tag along with him. During mass there would always be candles, incense. It would start with a small parade. You would stand up, sit down, knell down several times. Constent change - teenagers can usually deal with that better.

Other than that. A person, teenager or adult has to experience religion befor they can become religious.

As for me - I have not been to church in a very long time. I wish there was a Quaker church nearby, because according to my profile, that is where I would fit in best. But it might not be a bad idea to find a church anyways, whether I believe their beliefs or not. There is something about practicing religion, it gives you a good feeling.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • M •
i think tha no matter how much u try to flower up a religion either by short masses or watever. Teenagers will be teenagers and mentaly they dont like church, unless there completly god fearing and so on. Religions a chore nowadays, it is in a fight for survival with fashion, sex , booz and drugs. The se things exite and are more appealing than chuch will ever be

37yrs • M •
also many churches of religions are openly racist, sexist homophobic and strictyly authoritarian( note that im not saying all churches) and these also dont appeal tou teenagers who in the end just want to have fun

64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think u should talk for all teenagers. I remember when I was a teen, there were several of my class mates who were into speaking in tongues and things like that.

My friends used to like to have me read them the book of revelations. It was a very popular book back then, had everybody talking.

I think the world looks gloomier today then it did when I was young. Today you are seeing the things that were predicted when I was young. Climatic changes, high rate of cancer, Isreal will soon be going to war against the world per the prophesee as it is interpreted if things continue as they are. I just recently read an article about how the middle east is ripe for a new pestalence that could kill millions, and there are shortages of food in Europe because of the climate changes. If I was a teenager right now and looking at my future, I might become religious. I think you're wrong - speak for yourself. Don't speak for all teenagers.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 37yrs • M •
I think I R Me has found the best answer to this.

37yrs • M •
im not talkin on behalf of all teenagers. sorry if it sounded that way

i r me 's theory is a gd one churches may have to livin things up, but then weres the sense of "tradition" and "holyness"?

43yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that daisygirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like I R Me new version of the 21st Century Church. Im a Christian/Anglican, but I havent gone to church since I was about 12 yrs old. And back then I only went because we had to and wed just muck around and eat junk food there.
I guess the only people that would be interested would be the people that have been drilled religion into their brains since childhood. I dont disagree with religion but people should accept it but not take it so seriously and base their lives around it so.
Oh and Im actually thinking of becoming a buddhist or studying buddhism its so inspirational. But I wouldnt drill it into my kids heads if they want to go to church kool thats great, if they want to become Muslims thats fine too.

"Flesh and Blood Skin and bone, Whats mine is mine is mine alone."
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy