Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Pouky
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why is Prostitution Illegal? - Page 2

User Thread
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree whole heartedly Mystic that sex is a sacred act and for me in my life it is important that it is respected as such, but many people don't treat it this way. Is treating it as anything but sacred immoral or wrong? I don't know.

I do think that the human race, especially in the western world, is somewhat suppressed sexually (don't touch "that", don't look at "those", don't talk about "that" in public) and if we were raised with a healthy view of it, taught to respect and honour it, and were able to grow and explore openly and honestly, because we all grow up with the same curiosities, it wouldn't end up being expressed in some of the unhealthy ways that it is and the world would be a very different place.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok, lets look at this, how would you feel if a family member or spouse is or was the prostitute. Or your kid decided to become one. That's an emotional argument often made that makes more sense in at least relatability.

I think its safe to say that there is definitely a stigma to the profession and any who partake in either part of it. But is that stigma valid, and why is it there and where did it come from. Its the exact same stigma that is held so strongly against women who are promiscuous, highly or outwardly sexually active. Something many of us are at least at one point in our life, be it a hormonal phase or whatever.

Do you think the stigma of a slut which is still so heavily sexist, but far less so then in the past, is fair, what about right or justified?

Now I'm remebering some of the issues of religious and claimed moral natures. Just the basic sex before marriage one, adultery doesn't count cause that's not what we're talking about and it is its own entity. What is the point of the sex before marriage thing? Fear of babies and resulting wedlock issues is all I can think of at the moment. But with the amount of divorce and all the factors involved with babies I hardly think that should spawn all this contraversy, it makes more sense if you are imposing such marriage and chastity (not morals) but personal choices as was done more so in the past and still today for many families especially those devoutly prescribing to these beliefs and traditions.

But that's just it, we are not supposed to be imposing such religious based personal opinions. Just because you don't like it, and are afraid your kids will think they are allowed to live a free life as they choose doesn't mean its bad, or that you should be telling others not too. Not if it is not physically harming someone.

These are laws that are put in place because religion does get legislated, its a fact. Where did the idea of the act being wrong come from?

Someone saying its a personal belief doesn't cut it. Why do you think its wrong, where did your personal belief come from, the idea that it is wrong how did you come to feel this way, and why do you feel your feeling should have legal rights over others feelings on the subject?

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 46yrs • M
Thought, I agree that it is the strongest of probablilities that all of this, including why people feel so strongly about it is because of what we are taught, even just coming from the promiscuity aspect.

I think that because of natural insecurities of man and woman alike, that someone decided that the best way to handle such fear and pain was to avoid the situation by condemning it, and that that built on itself and was added to by religions and the reality and relatability to such insecurities and taught and traditional beliefs.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that lynniepoohs is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Prostitution is legal in the State of Nevada. They are required to have a physical every 3 months, along with an HIV tests.

"Enjoy your family as they are our lives."
 46yrs • M
Right, which is why they should be ecouraged to be tested regularly as in any occupational hazard.

46yrs • M
Whatever works out best mathmatically and practically.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If a man con not control his women (includes wife and daughters), then he is seen as weak an incapable. That's an acient attitude still surviving today.

Selling your body to strangers seems immoral because your body has value. Or maybe it's just that virginity is valued by widespread religions. I need to think about this more.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 46yrs • M
The answer lies in fighting instinct and insecurity.

Romantic notions fighting reality.

We sell our bodies every working day of our lives, even while dating. This is just more straight forward.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that iSOUGHT|THOUGHT is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
this is true.

our government controls our desires and actions- you've said it before too...

so we are fools, cowards, and lazy bastards for putting up with it.

then again, if we need enforced speed limits to prevent unsafe vehicle operation... and all those other legitimate laws that curtail or mindless actions...

oh, our incompetence keeps us from "doing right" and righting their wrongs.

"as i see it the only "variable" in the equation is THOUGHT. you are capable of changing this and this alone."
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that niners69sgirl is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think prostitution is illegal becase the government hasn't yet found a way to tax it (same thing for weed ) and to protect women from diseases. but my opinion is its their body if they want to sell it and take the chances to get stds thats their business and they should be allowed

"sonrisa siesta y fiesta ...if ya wanna know don't be afraid to ask i only bite on days that end in y"
 59yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheIrishPagan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, legal in Nevada, except for Las Vegas County.

Also, during the American Civil War, there was a huge problem with sexually transmitted disease in Tennessee, where the union was bivouacking large groups of soldiers. It actually was taking more men out of the fight than fighting was. After trying to ship the prostitutes off, which of course did not work, the Feds brought the 'business girls' under Federals administration, requiring weekly checks and certification. This dropped the VD rate to almost nothing. There was no cure for syphilis at the time, so getting it was almost a sure death. Also, at times, the Catholic Church actually ran many brothels, marked by red covered lanterns, hence the term Red Light District.

In my opinion, legalizing prostitution has no downsides, but would help with its attendant certifications and health aspects. There is simply no way to stop it, it will happen no matter what laws are in place.

"Oops, it appears I have run over your dogma with my karma."
 45yrs • M •
j222d is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
here in Queensland Prostitution is legal... brothels are legal... corner girls are legal...rub and tug.... not legal I think..

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TheTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
With prostitution illegal, the government is in position to keep crime on the streets, which we all know is good for government business. It's the same deal with drugs.

Think about it.

The government should really have no say about who has sex with who, unless of course we're talking about preventing violent sex crimes from occurring on the streets; which, at least in the case of prostitution, we are not.

It is a moral error that is practiced by many "Johns" in the United States, for example, but one that is also generally accepted as something that is to be swept under the table as a dirty secret, but not necessarily as something that is "bad", even in the slightest term. It's "getting a fix", just as so many of our youth (as well as those much older) are spending money on drugs to get high every weekend. We all get our fixes in different ways, but prostitution is a common one, and one that should definitely be legal, if only because it is virtually harmless.

The only moral argument that should even be existent is for the sexual health of those engaged in the activity. It is becoming more and more common for young men and women to spread sexually transmitted diseases to each other. With that said, the question is, if we cannot control diseases from being spread "legally", what is our reason to prevent the activity from being legal in any case?

I suppose it's something that the government feels we can't milk for all its worth. The government enjoys taking away from people things that are, in a general sense, completely harmless. There really is no explanation for it other than it was a law that has yet to be overturned because the issue is still considered "taboo" by society. It is a grandfather clause, and nothing more, just like prohibition was in its day.

"He who refuses to seek will never learn"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Interestingly why not allow woman/men to sell themselves if they want to do such a thing. In many ways people already do just that, just set a price & put yourself on the auction block?
quote:
1st- it's illegal esp. here in my country (Philippines)
Went through there when I returned from Nam. If it wasn't legal, it sure was done openly.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that curious20 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
its think if you want to get aids or the clap or sh*t like that go ahead

Why is Prostitution Illegal? - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy