If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. - Anatole France [Jacques Anatole Thibault]
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is nothing something?

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Warriors_X is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is nothing something?
Is nothing something?
Like a void is nothing, but because we know it exists and have named it is it something????
HELP!!
=O

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I dont think so. Just finding out that there is a place of nothing(void) and giving it a name to remember it by doesn't mean that it is something.*A void is just a empty space, withought atoms.*To make this sentence short it was called a void. Although, yes, it CAN be considered something. Yup thats it, nothing is soemthing which does not have atoms, but it can be considered something in the sense that it exists.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 1961yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that otb is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
like if u ask ur girlfriend whats on her mind...and she says nothing...but really you better believe its something.

37yrs • M •
"Yup thats it, nothing is soemthing which does not have atoms, but it can be considered something in the sense that it exists."

But can something without atoms exist?

"No matter how fast light thinks it is, it will always find that Drakness has beaten it and is already waiting..."
 35yrs • M •
Yeah sure. I mean, there are voids evrywhere. I often wondered what was between atoms, and found out that emtiness was called ether. Something withought atoms exists, , but ofcorse it does not cover any space. If the building blocks of nature had been squares, then there would be no empty space in between them. An ether is that tiny space that an atom can't cover because it has a circle shape.

37yrs • M •
lol, thx =D

38yrs • M •
why is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Another thing that is nothing yet something I believe...Memories or dreams. You can argue that its electrical or something like that reacting.. but its not something physical that would contain atoms..just my two cents.

"what an existence."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Personal memories would be as much something as a file on your PC is something. Is a PC file something? Depends on your definition I think.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, void is space, which is a physical property, so i would say that physically it is something. still, it is about the minimum amount of physical reality that can exist before becoming nonexistence.
let me put it this way. nonexistence is essential for raw existence to come into being. i would consider void raw existence, in that it doesn't require any kind of physical agent to exist. however, space is essential for matter to exist, which makes up the physical universe. space is the agent that makes matter possible, and that is its only characteristic.
i think "nothing" is nonexistence, which does not take up space at all, and has no characteristics. anything with characteristics is something, because a characteristic is something.
thats my two cents

"You are reading this."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Nothing is nothing indeed why would nothing be something? If nothing was something than would something not be nothing? Where would we be then? Nowhere or somewhere?

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 35yrs • M •
Nothing is something because because we know it's nothing.
Anyway, I was thinking a while ago, and thought of something, which seemed as a paradox to me.
Now, heat is caused by rapid movements of atoms, and rapid movements of atoms is caused by heat, So what starts the process?!?!?!? Its a bit like what came first, the chicken or the egg.

52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Man I'm telling you nothing is nothing.
If nothing is something then we can't be sure of anything. then anything which has to be something which can be nothing- that throws off everything. If that is the case then we know nothing So then to preserve the order of things we need to hold on to the principle that nothing is indeed nothing.

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 44yrs • M •
Jali is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If nothing were nothing, would we be talking about it? What would it mean to say that we were talking about nothing? Furthermore, I think that it is very much the case that we know nothing....which is still something.

"I could be wrong"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the only thing that is not anything(and cant be talked about) is whatever doesn't have an opposite. What i mean is, the most basic aspects of existence(and nonexistence) have polar opposites, which they oppose. so, the property of "something" is that it exists. it is opposed by the property of "nothing," which is that it doesn't. but how can it be nonexistent if it has a property and an opposite that opposes it? this kind of cancels out its complete nonexistence. when everything that has properties is organized into a whole and labeled "that which has property" its opposite must be "that which does not have property," which would give it a property, being that it has no properties. so, i would say that the only thing that truly does not exist is whatever has no opposite, and therefore no properties. but i don't think this is possible.

"You are reading this."
 40yrs • F •
Rean is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
nothing-- i really don't know-probably it's something which is void of everything. it's kind of near the meaning of emptiness though not quiite empty.it's just nothing but it has great impact on everyone and everything...so it is something,.

""reasons why people loves to hate me""
Is nothing something?
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy