Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Dennis Diedrot
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Your ISP (Internet Service Provider)

User Thread
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What Internet Service do you use, and what are the Pro's and Con's?

I have had AOL since it was 3.0 or something like that, and have had a good time chatting in their Chatrooms, but that is about it, nothing else grabs my attention. It is way overpriced $27.95 usd now I think. But I have kept it...until now, they charged us twice in one month and said "oh well, there is nothing we can do" when we called them on it. So down the drain my eight year subsrciption to them went.

I then got MSN with my new comp. as an included 1 year trial, but they started charging me after six months, so there went that idea. $21.95 was still too much to pay, for nothing except their name.

So, now I signed up for Joi Internet service at $9.95 per month or $6.95 per month for a year in advance. It turns out it is faster than both MSN and AOL and has most of the same things; actually has more perks than both of them! How is that?!

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I got shaw, its a high speed cable so to speak. Their customes service sucks ass, their service sucks ass because their high speed is rarely "high" and there allowable transfer limits suck, right Decius? *l*

its costs 39.95 a month, the only reason I am with them is because they are 1 of 2 high speed fuckers where I live and the other is basically not available where I live.

47yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pv_emerald14 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have a local ISP called trib.com. It totally sucks, constantly getting booted off the net and is $25 a month. I could handle that if I weren't getting booted all the time and have relog back in and lose everything that I was doing. But it is the only ISP in my area with a local phone number and all the high speeds don't have a local number either. The cable guys round here want a leg and a arm even after you get the system to get started.

""Live life to the fullest!""
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why is it that everytime I post a new thread and mark "e-mail me when someone relpies" it never e-mails me, arrrggg.

Okay, enough of that...I can't believe there is a restriction on how much you can download, that blows!

I might get lucky with this one, I haven't gotten kicked off yet, and plus it is V92 modem capable, so I can get phone calls while I'm online.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Dugbug is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am networked with DSL and am using sprint's earthlink. It is costly at $30 or $40 but I like it for my gaming experience.

"If the opposite of Pro is Con, then is the opposite of Progress, Congress?"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am really glad to hear all this as I have been with several ISP's & have left with mixed feelings. In Miami, I was with bellsouth back in the good old dazes, then went to Prodigy but changed when they were plagued with e-mail virus. I moved to att. which I liked but moved to earthlink when I changed localities, updating ISP is a pain with them.
The last three cost about the same per month for similar services, all seem to be plagued with their own problems & minor glitches. I have reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled so many times I getting to be a professional at it.
Misery loves company!

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that I R Me is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I find this intersting as I work for a subcontractor of Comcast ( a cable internet provider) in the US. But I use a high speed adsl phone through Telus which is like 25$ a month a good deal- the customer service is fair ie great when you get ahold of them but that takes some patience when your on hold forever..... Comcast cable customers in the US pay 45$ us a month! ouch!

"No one ever won a war by sitting in a ditch"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my area the cheapest was cable when I signed up, but I understand DSL is now cheaper. But never-the-less, because I'm in a "we hate cable neighborhood" I probebly have the fastest connection in town. I just did a cable speed test and the results are Awesome, much faster than a T1 line. So I'm happy

For the longest time my son would tease me about my dial up, ha - who's laughing now.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Cheriss is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My Fiancee and I go through People PC. Yeah it may be dial up but so far no real complaints about it he can get to the Online class no problem for ITT unlike when we had AOhwell its features are better than AOL and its only tax in all like 11 dollars a month for unlimited access for regular and for the accelerated its like 16 all unlimited access and a great system. Some may not like the little window that has to remain up like a little homepage for them but personally it doesn't bother me or him gives me something to read whild Dling stuff and they don't put a limit on anything.

"B**** Not just a Title Its a way of life"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ok, my knuckles were really beginning to hurt after dragging them on the ground for so long and I decided to finally get cable.

Being in Australia, we are usually behind the rest of the world in technology and it took a long time to get into the internet, then it took ages to get decent high speeds internet, then actual cheap deals- and even still in a lot of areas you cannot get access to it.

Anyway, I got this deal that allows me 3 gig a month with an extra 3 gig in offepeak hours.

And this was on Friday.

Its now Wednesday and I have found my speed throttled back down to dial up speeds because I have used my 3 gig limit.

WTF?

Since its all new to me and there is no way of telling your actual usage or speed (which I could with dialup)I am amazed at how fast I could blow 3 gigs of data so fast.

Admittedly, I did go a little crazy; like a 16 year old with his first car.

But all I really did was watch stuff in Youtube. The usual stuff like music clips and gametrailers and Vlogs.

Plus I visited a few sites here and there and watched a 2 and half hour movie about 911.

I'm thinking each music clip etc is probably about an average of 10mb. Isn't a gig 1000 MB?

So its like 300 clips? Im certain I didn't watch the equivalent of that.

Dude, wheres my fast car?

So anyway, I am wondering how much people would use a month on average and also what sort of stuff they watch, DL, post, or search for, or do on the internet.

And any tips so I don't blow my monthly allowance so fast again.

Thanks.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy