If a person spent five minutes before they committed a crime, prisons would have no inmates. - Attolia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Music - Page 3

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ooOoooOoo i love the bagpipes and the gaelic stuff.... and the cello and also that big dramatic orchestra stuff, it rules! techno/orchestra stuff is awesome! any kind of techno with classical music in it, i absolutely love

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 39yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that Danipog is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I R Me - Did you see my post? I love punk!

Green Day is punk but they aren't really idealistically punk. I still like them a lot, though.

The Vines: Not sure haven't heard much of their stuff but look here: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
That site is great for any artist or anything music related you want to look up.

The Strokes: Rock/Indie?

37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Danipog - i heard like 6 songs of theirs they're all awesome
my personal 2 favorite ones are get free and ride ( the new one)
btw the link doesn't work
and what do YOU think about emo ? could you call it punk ? all these new stupid bands like yellowcard and a whole bunch of other ones ....

just wanted to share: i'm gonna go see crystal method on monday

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 40yrs • M •
awwww not fair! *throws a tantrum*

ive gotten a lot of flak over the years for being a Green Day fan, im not sure what the problem is.... im glad people on here are more umm whats the word...... understanding? ...i donno...

PS - today my favorite song is the USA national anthem *being patriotic*

37yrs • F •
hmmmm lets see how big of a patriot you are ! listen to it 5 times in a row !

uhh i knew you couldn't do it *laughs in your face*

39yrs • F
MiA - I don't really think of emo or Yellowcard etc. as punk. I, personally, hate emo and can't see how people listen to it, unless you are a fan of extreme whining competitions or something.

The thing that makes me mad is not so much when people like emo, as when people think bands like Brand New, Yellowcard, and Dashboard Confessional invented/are revolutionizing punk.

I heard two girls talking the other day about how "Brand New is really hardcore punk". That REALLY pissed me off. Another instance: My friend's sister, who likes Avril Lavigne but not The Clash, aside from one song which she heard in the movie "What A Girl Wants". She also likes the version of "I Fought the Law" she saw on a Pepsi commercial more than the flawless Clash version. Now that's just disgusting.

Wyote - You may have gotten a lot of flak because Green Day "sold out" i.e. signed to a major record company and decided to get rich. I don't really know what to think about this since Green Day continued to make good music after they "sold out".

http://www.allmusic.com/index.html

Hopefully that link works better!
Oh, and, I'll look into

37yrs • F •
always wanted to ask you this : are you really 14 ?
and yeah that gets on my nerves too that's why i asked you about it .... wanted to know what someone that likes real punk thinks

40yrs • M •
yea, everyone says they "sold out" which really irks me. yes they switched record companies, yes they ended up making a lot of money right afterwards. but they werent trying to horde money and get rich as hell as fast as they could, it just worked out really well for them, just as it does for hundreds of other bands. if Green Day "sold out" then so have just about every other band you hear on the radio and people need to stop bitching about it Green Day didnt even leave on bad terms (like so many others do) they even told them that it was time to move on. they were getting too big for them to handle (their supplying abilities could not meet the demands of the consumer AT ALL! its just how business works!!). people are so ignorant

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i dont see how a lot of new mainstream punk bands can be considered punk at all--i mean, the guys wear chains and have spikey hair and stuff and use simple guitar riffs but i think the true definition of punk is more in the attitude than the appearance. you can dress all punk and not hold onto the traditional punk philosophy of anti-establishment and whatever, but does that really make you punk? i think the original purpose of punk was to counter mainstream music, wasn't it? i mean, the whole purpose of the people wearing the chains and the spikey hair was to counter fashion and stuff, but now with punk or whatever youd call it in the mainstream with bands like good charlotte or whatever else making real soft whiney and not necessarily angry-at-the-fake-system type music, and taking punk anti-fashion and turning it fashionable and turning anti-mainstream into mainstream, i dont think that these people should be called punk. even if the may sound good(which i on the most part dont think they do), they shouldnt call themselves punk, but something like pseudopunk or something.

"You are reading this."
 39yrs • F
Windupnostril - That's why people use the term "pop-punk".

MiA - Yes I'm really 14.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Windupnostril is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
lol thats kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?

i dont really know what the true definition of punk is, i mean its kind of a joke anyway because it was all about nonconformity yet they all ended up dressing alike.

i think if anybody really wants to fight fashion and conformity they should wear something totally crazy and different everyday--like a clown suit or something one day, and a towel and an army helmet another day. see? then no groups could form based on conformity because all the nonconformists would be dressing differently.

still, it seemed like punk was originally about fighting the mainstream, but i guess maybe that's changed now. i guess i style of music is about the music more than anything, but that doesn't change the fact the pop-punk kind of raped the antiestablishment views of the traditional punk people by taking their style of dressing and music and selling it to the mainstream, which is what they were originally against. it just doesnt seem very nice to me, i dont know.

"You are reading this."
 39yrs • F
I know what you mean, Windupnostril. I have thought about that before, that if it's all about non conformity than why do they dress the same? Why would you even start a movement about fighting establishment together yet alone?

That's why I don't really get into the fashion aspect of it. I still like to think of myself as a rebellious little brat, and I do hate most pop-punk, I just don't dress like it. Mostly I'm just into the music.

39yrs • F
Anyone heard of They Might Be Giants? GREAT, unusual, interesting band, around since the 80's, although they are really just a duo now.

40yrs • M •
yea theyre good, havent ever really followed em... people talked about em when i was in jr high/high school every now and again... but ive heard nothing from them in a great while now...

39yrs • F
Well if you are interested, they released a good album in 2001 called Mink Car.

Music - Page 3
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy