To get others to come into our ways of thinking, we must go over to theirs; and it is necessary to follow, in order to lead - William Hazlitt
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What IS existance?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Mr. Humble is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What IS existance?
Im quite new to the whole "forum thing" so someone tell me if I'm out of line or too confusing (I have problems puting my ideas into words, as I'm sure everyone does) Anyway, I personally think that we are all "one" yet individuals at the same time. If you think about it, our bodies will decompose and become one with the earth and the earth will (eventually) become part of somthing else, like parts of different planets or galaxies. This has been "proven" through many thoretical computations and common sence. They say that the universe is expanding and will do so forever. This being said, heat gets spread out as well and will always be present (newtons 3rd law of conservation of energy). So if the universe is always geting spread thin (everything eventually turning to ionicly charged particals that repel each other) then what is to happen to the atoms/future-ions that once made up our body? Some people think that God is everything, that he is you and me and the machine that you are reading this on. Another point I'd like to bring up is what happens to our thoughts and experiences? Do they become part of a greater collective (God)? Or do they just float out in infinite space forever with our body particals. What is thought? What is the meaning of our existance? Help Me!

""How do you know we exist? Maybe we don't exist." -Vivi FF9"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think you did good - You brought up a lot.

I'm not going to put my whole belief in that big bang theory. The good thing about this theory is that scientists are beginning to believe in God because there is no other explination. But that is not the way science works. Eventually somebody or a group wil figure it out. Then we're right back to there is no God, we've figured it out thing. They will tell us, "The big bang theory is not right - it works like this........."

Many people have theorized that we are all one, seperate parts of a single organisim. This one organisim may be god. You know - I never really thought of it like that - Something to think about. My theory has always been that if you were to take everything and bunch it all together, you would know what god was. I always saw god as seperate from its creation.

I always believed that there were two gods. One is the law, a computer program script or DNA code. Something that told everything what to do automatically and set everything in motion. This god does not think for itself, but just follows a programed will. Then there is the real God. The one who created even god of law. This could explain why Jesus had to die on the cross for our sins to appease the god of law for our sake. (I'm not real sure I can believe that - just maybe).

I do believe that when we do fully mature - we do return to God. Becoming a part of God, no longer ourselves. But once again, I never thought of God not being a seperate being from its creation. That's an interesting idea.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Crimson_Saint is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Mr.Humble - " What is thought? What is the meaning of our existance? Help Me! "
I think people have been trying to answer those questions since they began thinking. I'll give my 2 cents though.
Thought : interpretation of information in the hopes of taking a decision. Yeah, that's all I can come up with heh.

"If you think about it, our bodies will decompose and become one with the earth and the earth will (eventually) become part of somthing else, like parts of different planets or galaxies."
But are my atoms *me*. Certainly my arms and legs can barely be called *me*. They could be cut off and I wouldn't be any less of me. The same is true for just about every organ, they could all be replaced and thus they are not really you, merely what lets you live.
And even when we *become* the planets and stars, *are* we the stars? Do we feel what the stars feel and experience anything? With no central nervous syste, probably not. And if we don't experience anything while we *are star* then we effectively don't exist anymore.

okcitykid - "I'm not going to put my whole belief in that big bang theory. The good thing about this theory is that scientists are beginning to believe in God because there is no other explination."
I think not. There are plenty of explanations other then an arbitrary omnibenevolent, omnipotent and omniscient entity.

'But that is not the way science works. Eventually somebody or a group wil figure it out. Then we're right back to there is no God, we've figured it out thing. They will tell us, "The big bang theory is not right - it works like this........."'
Science never has absolute truth. Every theory can be ruled out. Though there ARE theories which are considered pretty much bedrock, science still is relatively open to new ideas and theories.
A true scientist never says : "the universe works like this" he would say : ''evidence points to the universe working like this"

"AIDS is God's way of sending Catholics to heaven."
 38yrs • M •
In regards to "If I cut my arms off I won't be any less of me" What would you be without your brain,? Not much. But then again, If you are already dead, mixing your individual brain cells with new planets dosen't seem so signifigant. But once again, what happens to our conscience? Does our essence just float around in the eternal cosmos for all eternity? Some people speculate that this state of limbo would be heaven. If so, what would be hell? I'd like to think that if you die with big regrets on your chest, your essence will be tourtured by dwelling on the past forever. Of course, heaven would be having peace and enjoying the cosmos. Just a thought!

59yrs • F •
Doonie02 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I often wonder about this as well. I don't really wonder about my physical self...I don't care where my body goes after I die but I do think about our inner selves. The part of me/us that exist beyond the physical because I believe that part of me has a long way to go
Then it becomes harder to understand on the level of atoms and matter.

"livelearn"
 43yrs • M •
Yes, the brain is the exception to the rule.
I believe the 'essence' of ourselves as you put it is completely intangible (though I am in no way certain) and has no physical component.
I think our concious can only manifest itself through a living being capable of thought, perception and most importantly memory. Without these 3 I don't think we can remain concious and after death we have none of these, so I'm guessing its just like sleeping.

38yrs • M •
But if you are sleeping don't you also dream? Oh! What if heaven and hell is a dream that you don't wake up from? After all, I've heard the saying "A dream is merely a reflection on the past."

43yrs • M •
You don't always dream. And you only dream because you have a brain. Dreamless sleep I imagine is the same as being dead.

64yrs • M •
I've heard this hell thing mentioned quite a few times. I know it is mentioned in the bible. But I don't believe it exists. As far as heaven goes - you have to be able to grasp the idea of giving yourself up. You are nothing anymore.

I believe in reincarnation - and we do this until we reach that state where we can enter heaven. I've heard some teachings say that you have to be like Jesus.

You might wonder - someone who is really evil. I have a theory about that too. In the Gnostic scriptures. I think it was The Secret Book of John. It talks about people who are born with false spirit. A false essence if you may, sent to this earth by the false god. When they die, God takes their false essence and gives them a real one and sends them back down here.

But once again - these are just my theories.

38yrs • M •
On the topic of reincarnation, what if hell is simply not being god-like yet. Youknow, so we have to stay here on earth (pretty hellish if you ask me) Of course, He also mentions that we would be tourtured souls for all eternity(Until we straighten up our act?)

43yrs • M •
On hell, I think it depends on your interpretation of the bible.
Of reincarnation, not reason to believe or not to believe in it.

"He also mentions that we would be tourtured souls for all eternity(Until we straighten up our act?)"
This I think is interesting. If we straighten up after we spent x years in hell then are we a good person? Or are we simply being good for fear of another second in hell? If it is because of fear of hell, we are not a good person, because we are acting good out of practical (not moral) obligations.
It is possible that the biblical hell is not a physical punishment but far more a psychological and emotional one. Where god simply pours huge amounts of guilt in said person, in which case he would sincerely change his ways (guilt feels like a self-inflicted pain)

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some times I sense being set up or something?
Hmm . . . A true scientist never says : "the universe works like this" he would say : ''evidence points to the universe working like this"
Sacred Clown, the heyoka (Lakota) among the educator class is a thread of thinking which to an extent looks at existence from a different point of view, this 'thread of reasoning' forms a basic distinction in the preception as the history shows the accepted version becomes like 'the flat earth', the earth as the center of rotation, etc. Which means people tend to disbelief because it shakes the foundations of their perception of the world or it tends to bear unfounded assumptions, like a mathmatical and physic theory concluding to that matter and energy are the forms of the same thing. Which is why you have heard much about it. Note the use of math & physical science theory in other threads.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 38yrs • M •
In response to Crimson, I don't think that a person is supposed to clean up his act by fearing time in hell. I think that a person will naturally beecome a better person if all of their intentions are good. If you're just a dick about everything I think you'll stay here on Earth forever (or go to hell or whatever) And as for Cturtle, I think you lost me. But at the same time I get what you're saying.

64yrs • M •
On that hell thing - you might have a point there. Here in America we have it made, we really do. Not all of us though. You might have a point there.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that UnderDawg is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I just had something quick to say. A lot of you are talking about when you become a good person you then can enter heaven or be happy or whatever. I would just like to point out that the only way for this to happen is that there be a supreme being (God) to judge when you do or don't go to hell. You don't just "go" becuase you were a good person unless there's a God, cuz if there isn't who or what judges where you go?

"My drum skills > Your drum skills"
What IS existance?
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy