Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What IS existance? - Page 3

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In general I am in agreement with you, psofcosmos.
All though I may define somethings differently & percieve things differently. In the christian vonacular(sp) if GOD gave man(kind) free will then we must have the ability to make distinctions & the ability of independent (individual) actions.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
With regards to 'what is thought?' Thought creates our reality. Thought is the basis for our words and our actions. So it is the language that we use in our thoughts that manifest the world around us. If we want the world to change, we need to change the way we think. What is it we want to see? Where is it we want to go? We are one and sooner we realize that the better. We all have a soul and a heart and a spirit and a mind that makes up our collective. Our personal expressions and manifestations of perceptions is where we differ. We all hurt. We all care. We all love and we all try.

If I were to talk about war with you what would we be thinking? Images of war, words like destruction and terror. That helps to create that very reality. Our images and our thoughts generate energy and contribute to the growth of that which we think about.

What if we were to talk about peace instead? Is that God? Is that the place where we are all one? Thought creates reality.

"Love everyone, question everything and look up!"
 39yrs • M •
psofcosmo is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
thoughtmanifest,
I like to believe that you are very well on to something about changing the way we think, in order to change the world. And I think if preaching any sort of wisdom has any significance, then this is a worthy idea to spread to others. However, it still doesn't, and probably for at least a very long time will not answer the question of freewill. Because, how do we know that we can really change our way of thinking, maybe we just believe we can, but in truth it just changed because it was destined to. And when we talk about is peace god? I think many of us would like to think so, but it is also true that strong theories in psychology tell us that some people are simply more apt to be peaceful based on their heredity and enviroment. So in this case it seems that would naturally make them more god-like. So that leads me to wonder, maybe peace isn't the ultimate ideal, although it seems perfectly logical to me, for others it may not be that apparent.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
" We all have a soul and a heart and a spirit and a mind that makes up our collective."
And if the english language had another word for a vague, sentimental, incorporeal part of us, I'm sure you would use it.

" Thought creates reality."
I more or less agree on that, it creates the way we perceive reality. Even if the rest is gibberish.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 50yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that thoughtmanifest is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
psofcosmo, thank you for offering intelligent and insightful feedback.

"how do we know that we can really change our way of thinking, maybe we just believe we can, but in truth it just changed because it was destined to."

You could be right but I like to think that I am in control of my brain, not the other way around. My brain is a tool that I can use efficiently or non-efficiently. That is my choice. I can think destructive thoughts or I can think progressive thoughts. What I try to do is if I find myself thinking destructive thoughts, I try to turn it around and find the progressive alternative.

"some people are simply more apt to be peaceful based on their heredity and enviroment."

I absolutely agree. But again I think it is our choice. If we have experienced a 'war-like' or destructive existence because of our surroundings, we can either succumb to that and let it dictate how our life is going to go or we can take control and find ways to progress beyond that.

There are people who will always live destructive lives as long as destruction is an option and that's fine. That's valid. That's one experience that needs to be represented. But the more of us who have the capacity and the strength to choose progress and act accordingly, the more potent that option will become.

50yrs • F •
DumbTeen can you think of me as a human being with a heart who is trying to understand, just like everyone else. As someone with a valid perspective based on life experience just as you are?

37yrs • M •
" As someone with a valid perspective based on life experience just as you are?"
Fair enough, but please realise what you are saying. You are spouting words heart, spirit and soul without giving us any clear definitions, I'd be surprised if you have some decent definitions yourself.

Of course you may have a valid world-view, but if you use vague words with no meaning beyond the one inside your head, then you will never be able to communicate your ideas to other people.

50yrs • F •
But that's just it. There is no 'proven as fact' regarding a lot of what I explore in my everyday life. There is an aspect of ourselves and the universe that we know very little about and it is the part that, I believe, if we did know more about and understand better that we would have a much healthier perspective of who we are and why we're here.

There are millions of species of trees, plants, bugs, fungus, micro-organisms etc. that exist on a realm which we can see and touch. I believe there is an entire other reality which we can't see and touch in the same way but we can feel and sense. And it may sound 'vague and sentimental' but I believe it to be undeniable. Those are the kinds of discoveries that make me feel like I'm accomplishing something. Demystifying the mysterious. Making it concrete so that it is something we can use and work with. We have no idea how powerful we really are as human beings. And tapping into that power, I believe, is tapping into the unseen.

37yrs • M •
Science has proven things which are unseen. Whether its neutrinos or background radiation. Those things are invisible, untouchable, but we can figure out they are there.

Spiritual nonesense also claims that there are things we cannot see. Which is of course true. The difference is, that the spiritual version is impossible to disprove.

People rarely understand this part of science. Any scientific theory is one which can be disproven. What this means is that a scientific theory never pretends to be truth. It is only awaiting its replacement by a better theory. Basically, a scientific theory must say "This theory is wrong if X."

Spiritual babble is so vague, meaningless and uninformative that it is impossible to disprove. In essence saying "This theory cannot be shown wrong because it is not saying anything meaningful or that can be checked."

For example, if I return to your assertion that elements of the universe have a degree of masculinity or feminity. What verifiable consequences are there? What does this theory really say? Can it be proven wrong?

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
yup.... this hurricane sure is nice.

Frances is weaking as it comes into play in the gulf, they say it is dying but it could possibably feed off the gulf & the atlantic to reform itself?
Now wouldn't thatt be a hoot
http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=18479-u-frmid=23-u-page=2

Anyway they say Ivan is coming along fine.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 30yrs • M •
mophead is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
u do not necceraly learn from your mistakes my grandpa has made the same mistake of putting shoes on wrong feet since he was ix he is now 80 u only learn from your mistakes if u dont look for the easy fix if u stop and think about your mistake u will remember just as u are goin to make that mistake that u though t about it before and u wont

"evil=free will"
 30yrs • M •
mophead is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
how can u say we have free will when the only choice we have in life is to work shit and sleep

"evil=free will"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is that u talking or an adult in the house? If its u then you r a little too cynical for one so young and since u r not quite old enough to b just working, shitting and sleeping and should be out with your mates then it is very sad indeed that you would say that. If it is another adult in the house, then shame on you! You shouldn't be just working, shitting and sleeping, you should be spending time with your family and friends, talking, playing and being more than just a twenty first century automaton!!!

If existence starts to feel so mechanical and depressing, you should do something about it. When you are not working, make time to do something other than eating, shitting, sleeping and watching TV. You sound like the sort of person to sit hypnotised in front of the box until bedtime and then ends up wondering why life has past you by?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 30yrs • M •
ana ropo u need help there is so much so much more to life than what u think u just have to find it. u may think this is a little what would u say i dunno rich coming from a 14 year old but i have found my reason music

"evil=free will"
What IS existance? - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy