Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Deja Vu-Theories

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
cloudee1 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Deja Vu-Theories
What are your guys' opinions on deja vu, I experience it every now and then and just wish to seek some explanation. Any ideas are welcomed.

"We can only live one day at a time, When we start trying to live days in advance, that is when we get hit by a truck....."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that think4yourself is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it's just a mental thing. Sometimes 2 similar things happen twice and you make more of it than it really is. Since ultimately you only see the world's reflection in your mind, not the world itself, your mind can distort things a little making it even more creapy.

39yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that JetPlane is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sometimes, I get the feeling that our lives are as repetitive as machines in an assembly line. We repeat things so often that in our sleep our minds can start regurgitating images and pictures and faces and we'll see them in real life and think it's something strange or new that we've seen it before and it's looked exactly like that.

It may be our brain's way of telling us we're going in circles.

"\"Like maple syrup, Canada\' evil oozes.\"-<i>Canadian Bacon</i>"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I had a deja vu dream once, it was wild. I decided to go a different direction because of it because I was afraid it would come true. I'll have to get back and share that with you. but it's about time for me to get off this puter

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 54yrs • M •
angus_ is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Neurology explains this phenomenon as being caused by the brain incorrectly registering an event as already having occurred whilst it's still being experienced. It's a timing issue where the part of the brain which is reponsible for processing long-term memories incorrectly processes the current event. It's a minor malfunctioning of the brain.
I got into a fight once, this guy came from behind and threw a punch. I was momentarily stunned - and with that I experienced an intense sense of deja vu
Cheers

47yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that tristen is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But how is it astablished that this info is 'incorrectly' processed by the part of the brain responsible for the long term memory?

"mind over matter \"if you don\'t mind it doesn\'t matter\""
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there is a few bullshit theories about deja vu and why it hapens, i don't believe any of them. i think that our level of understanding things is waaaaaaaaay too low and there is a million more things that we can't explain just yet (because there is so much we don't know). i mean many years ago people would NEVER believe that the earth was round until someone actually proved it. so a few hundred years from now the deja vu phenomenon will probably be explained and our great great grand children will call us stupid .... oh well

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 64yrs • M •

Did you know that before they believed the world was flat they always knew it was round. The hindu religion, one of the oldest religions taught that the world was round, and it even taught that there were other worlds, and, it even teaches that this world will end, like all worlds do. makes you wonder.

37yrs • F •
lol yeah but the other fuckers didn't believe it
and yeah i know what you mean... it's kinda crazy huh ?

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To explain the theory scientifically: JetPlane is correct, the malfunction is referred to as a crossfire where your brains short term memory accesses the information on your long term memory and causes you to believe that what you are registering in your short term memory as the present is actually long term memory.

Whew.....

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 37yrs • F •
i've heard of the theory before but i don't see how what would work... try to picture it
the information goest straight to your long term memomry as something's happening ( and the shortcut hasn't been found yet! ) so how can you recall it while memorizing it ....... those are two processes that don't happen at the same time . plus if it went into your longterm memory you'd always remember your deja vus . i know i don't, i only remember some of them ...

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Causes of Déjà Vu:
There is no single theoretical cause of déjà vu that can explain its wide variety of clinical manifestations. Most instances of associative déjà vu are associated with a predisposing milieu of anxiety and are triggered by restricted paramnesia and redintegration. The Psychoanalytic and psychodynamic theories are also common explanations. However, temporal lobe firing and the double access theories account for many of the experimental and clinical features of the déjà vu experience of temporal lobe epileptics. Also, several parapsychological hypotheses have been advanced. Déjà vu in schizophrenics reflects a further nosological category, again implying different etiologies, precipitators, and pathogeneses

This is the complicated definition, not all the way proved yet but it supports what I have heard.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 37yrs • F •
would someone please translate that into english ?
...kidding....
i don't know, maybe it's just our brains, because we still don't know a lot about our brain .... and don't really use a big part of it
but then how can other things be explained like psychic reading and other stuff ... i know that a lot of it is fake but some things are predicted by people and they do come true .. why am i even getting into this subject ?

64yrs • M •
Can't seem to locate my medical dictionary.

I like the Matrix theory myself.

I've heard that theory about cross fire long ago, never paid any mind to it. It could be.

I always thought it was something we dreamed that night and something keyed a memory of that dream.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"but then how can other things be explained like psychic reading and other stuff ... i know that a lot of it is fake but some things are predicted by people and they do come true .. why am i even getting into this subject ?"
Much like how 1 million monkeys with 1 million typewriters with infinite time will eventually write shakespeare, god knows how many prophets with 6000 years (of written history) will eventually predict something.
It is usually an accident more then anything else though, and we never notice the predictions that never come true.

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
Deja Vu-Theories
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy