Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Misrepresentation - Page 6

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
But where did he say he was God? I will agree that he is our older brother.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
[  Edited by okcitykid at   ]
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Strongclad is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Okay. I will answer your question in hopes that you will anwer mine.

I will agree that it mentions nowhere in the New Testament that Jesus simply said that he was God (there are no passages that I know of, but I will stand corrected if there are), but he did claim to be God's Son and that God was his Father. And, he also claimed that "I and the father are one." (John 10:30) If this one passage doesn't imply that Jesus knows he is God, if it doesn't imply a claim to diety, I don't know what does. But there are other significant passages that point to Jesus as being God.

First and foremost, we find that at the very beginning of the first chapter of John, he was said to be God.
quote:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.

The New Testament has quite a few other passages that also obviously state that the Apostles (the ones closest to Jesus) thought Jesus was God. They worshiped him as God and he did not rebuke them.
quote:
Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

And also from the same chapter I've been quoting this whole time, in John 10:33 we see that the Jews understood that he was claiming to be God.
quote:
"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

The New Testament has plenty other passages such as this, which show that the people of that day -- Christians, Jews, Pharisees and the Apostles and their persecutors -- all had the same understanding that Jesus was claiming to be NOT JUST GOD'S SON, but also GOD. Jesus never equated himself as being on the same level as his father. The New Testament shows that he always thought of his relationship with God as a Father/Son, Master/Servant relationship. But the writers of the New Testament make it plain as day that they all believe that he was God incarnate.

Where it explicitly claims that everyone are Jesus brothers I do not know. I don't know where you get that information. But it does claim that all CHRISTIANS (ones that believe what he said and taught), are brothers in Christ, and are receivers of eternal life. And if God is Jesus' Father, I would think that he has the authority to know, and tell us what we need to do to be put in a right relationship with God also.

There's my answer, so what do you mean by wanting to quote that we are all gods?

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I checked the scripture you quoted. Actually I went to the St. John 10 and looking at the writings I found that I needed to start at John 10:22
quote:
John 10:24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, 'How long dost thou make us doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.
:30 I and the Father are one.
:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe that the Father is in me, and I in him.

So I should state I am quoting from
The Full Life Study Bible
An International Study Guide Bible for Pentecostal And Charismatic Christians
King James Version copyright 1992

quote:
Foot Note:
10:34 Ye are Gods? In no way does this statement of Jesus teach that believers are to consider themselves gods. Those who declare themselves to be gods will fall under the condemnation of GOD, for He declares,
' The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, and even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens' (Jer. 10:11), the term 'ye are gods' was spoken to the corrupt rulers of Israel , who judged unjustly, partial to the wicked, and were cruel to the children. (Ps. 82:1-4)

But does not the statement show that much was a common misconception,
Then as now?
So I need to do some research? Well that wasn't bad, just looked at index.
quote:
Genesis 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and took them, wives of all which they chose.
Foot Note: The 'sons of God' most likely refer to men who were descendants of the Godly line of Seth
(cf. Deut. 14:1; 32:5; Ps 73:15; Hos. 1:10); they began to intermarry with the 'daughters of men', i.e., women from the ungodly sons of Cain. The union of the Godly with the unrighteousness led to 'wickedness' (v. 5) i.e. the godly became preoccupied with evil. (v. 11 – 13) As a result the earth became corrupt and filled with violence.
The theory that the 'sons of God' were angels is less likely in view of Jesus' words that angels do not marry. (Matt. 22:30; Mark 12:25)

Looking beyond the aspect of the authors' sincere but mistaken thinking, I generally accept the explanation & see it as a reasonable with in the context of usage.
Which brings me to the point; I sensed that OkCity's usage to be as valid in the context of usage?
But then may be I am missing the point of his argument.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I will agree that it mentions nowhere in the New Testament that Jesus simply said that he was God (there are no passages that I know of, but I will stand corrected if there are),

You are correct, this is why the pharisees could not legally accuse him of blaspheme - they had to lie and falsely accuse him.

I know what you believe, and I respect your beliefs. I expect the same respect when I share my beliefs. My beliefs are just as legit and real as yours. If you ask I will tell you. Jesus was speaking from the Christ conscience. Most of the time he was fully absorbed into the Christ conscience. He told that the things he did, we could also do and greater, because we too can become apart of the Christ conscience if we follow him.

Jesus used the scripture out of place to confound the Jews. I used it confound you. You have not explained why the scriptures say we are gods.

It is because we are made in the likeness of God in both spirit and flesh. Co creators. This explains our ability to land on the moon, build the twin towers and posses the power to destroy this earth. It is as if we are miniature gods. This is what the scripture is talking about (in my opinion). I do not believe like some new age persons do that there is no One God, but that we are all gods and have the ability of Jesus, NO I don't believe that. I do believe in the Christ Conscience. I'm not an expert on this, I should study more. I believe it was Father Fox, a catholic priest who discovered this and has since been banished from the Catholic Church.

Cturtle speaks of a scripture from the dead sea scroll, I don't know if it is anywhere else in the old testament. But you'll find it quoted in the Chariot of the God's. (I guess it is - sorry cturtle, didn't read your post), that makes me wonder about a few things.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Pharisees did have Him crucified because He did blaspeme in their eyes. He did NOT Blaspheme, because HE was God.
The truth of His Divine nature is in scripture. Thank you cturtle.
Another such quote that tells us He was God was when declared,
John 20; 28
Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed. Blessed are they who have not seen, and yet have believed."

John 12; 36
While you have the LIGHT, believe in the LIGHT, that you may become sons of LIGHT.

John 13; 31
When, therefore, he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him. If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and will glorify Him at once."

John 14; 6
Jesus said to them, "I am the way,and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, but through me. If you had known me, you also have known my Father. And henceforth you do know Him, and you have seen Him."

John 15; 23
He who hates me, hates my Father too.

St John 4; 15
Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him and he in God.
5; 20
And we know the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, that we may know the true God and be in His true Son. He is the true God and eternal life.
3 St John 7
For many deceivers have gone forth into the world who do not confess Jesus as the Christ coming in the Flesh. This is the deceiver and the AntiChrist.
Anyone who advances and does NOT abide in the doctrine of Christ, has not God; he who abides in the doctrine, he has the Father and the Son. IF anyone comes to you and does bring this doctrine, do NOT receive him into the house, or say to him, Welcome. For he who says to him, Welcome, is sharer of his evil works.

(*The doctrine of Christ means God made Flesh)

Genesis 1;26
God said; "Let US make mankind in OUR image and likeness...."

ONE other point to interest, and we all know the traditional church.

John 21; 24 This the disciple who bears witness concerning these things, and we know that His witness is true. There are however, MANY other things that Jesus did; but if every one of these should be written, not even the world itself, I think, could hold the books that would have to be written. Amen.

The term triune God was not quoted, nor did Jesus specify he was God in so many words. But that it was not written in scripture does not mean the truth of the fact does not remain within the texts. Jesus implied things more than ever stated anything point to fact. As per his parables. Whomever he shall harden their hearts will not understand.

Peace to all.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
 57yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Dreamer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
You have not explained why the scriptures say we are gods.

Well never heard of this. But I am going to guess that because He gave over His Spirit to His apostles that in His name they could cure, and expell demons, then that is what you mean. Perhaps.

It is our faith in Him, that gives us the ability to be apart of miracles. It is through faith that all things are possible.
It says in the bible that we become like God. When we die, and enter heaven.
That in itself has a tremendous amount of possibilities, I prefer to hope and wait in Christ, and not speculate in that, but instead wait and see what it means exactly. Hate to deceive myself in things I do not understand.

But it marks the enormous amount of love and understanding and knowledge we may obtain in heaven as opposed to our mortal bodies.
Just another reason to wait in Christ.

"Even though is difficult, I can still dream."
Misrepresentation - Page 6
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy