Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Misrepresentation - Page 2

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angelfire is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This stuff makes a lot more sense if you throw it out the window in my humble (!) opinion

"Durch Nacht und Blut das Licht"
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that [MiA] is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so did our dear god made everyone equal only women depend on men ? that's kinda mean

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care .... right ?"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't nessarily believe in any of it, but it is a curious question and statement.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As the Hebrews accorded women little place in their accounting of things. Note that long list of begots found in their scripture follows the lineage of males, not females which were not listed. So yes they had what would be considered incest relationships with their sisters. Also note that the monoistlic one GOD is is spoken of in plural form?
Abram took his family and pocessions. Later when confronted by a large band of people, he claims her as his sister (distant) so when the king (leader) taken with her, suits her bringing them into his own household. He is warned by an angel (messenger) from GOD to tell him not to take the women for she was in fact Abraham's wife. Where upon the ruler confronts Abraham to hear the truth from his own mouth. He sends them packing with all their goods (even those acquired from him)?Why, because though He could have dishonored by Abrahams deciet, the fact that GOD had sent a messenger spoke of GOD's Protection of Abraham.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Strongclad is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
[MiA] said:
quote:
so did our dear god made everyone equal only women depend on men ? that's kinda mean

If you search a little bit harder, you'll realise that this is a wrong assumption (biblically speaking). Realise that in the beginning, God made us "good." There was no real partiality, and no need for anyone to feel impartial, since we were well provided for. We as humans were the ones who had the first opinions whether women were equal or not.

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
 43yrs • M •
wesdawgy said:
quote:
The first woman was called Lilyth,

Wasn't Lilith a character from the poetic novel Paradise Lost written by John Milton? I'll have to go home and check. If that's the case, then Lilith is a fictional character.

"All statements are false. The last statement is false.--One of these statements is true."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lilyth might be fictional and so could Adam and Eve. In most other creation stories, the women was created first. The story of Adam and Eve is not the only story. It is not the first or the last. To believe that Lilyth is not fiction or that Adam and Eve or any other story is fiction or non fiction is a matter of believe. I choose to believe it is all fiction.

Origenes Adamantius ".... I do not suppose that anyone doubts that these things figuratively indicate certain mysteries, the history being apparently - but not literally - true ..." He put together the first bible, they say he died in prison.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 44yrs • M •
Lylith is absolutely not fiction. It is an original translation story from the bible. Of course you wouldn't find it in the Catholic "pick-n-choose" bible because that would indicate to the followers of Catholocism that it was O-K to seperate and easily justifiable to get a divorce. IMO. But either way, the Catholics took plenty of stuff out, and changed alot of stuff.

72yrs • M •
Not to be a bible thumper but which book and what bible?
I am probably wrong but isn't there a Lylith related to the Celtic Traditions (maybe a sp variant)?

44yrs • M •
You'll have to wait until next semester, so that I can ask my Anthro. Prof.

64yrs • M •
I remember answering a post on Talkloud.com about Lilith over a year ago.

Yes, I found it:

http://www.talkloud.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2530

72yrs • M •
thank you OKcity, I tried the links which lead to informative sites on the subject of Lilith. Actually I followed one back to parent (pagan) site which was as pleasing as refreshing,a nice change in pace.
quote:
Shamanism is based on ANIMISM

[url=http://www.geocities.com/hpymed/spirit/shamans.html]
ANIMISM, what the hell does that mean?

[  Edited by cturtle at   ]
 43yrs • M •
wesdawgy said:
quote:
the Catholics took plenty of stuff out, and changed alot of stuff.

Not really. If you look at Catholic Bibles and compare them to Protestant Bibles, or even to their Hebrew/Greek parallels, you will realise that they are all basically the same. Translations don't differ much at all. The only difference in Catholic Bibles is the fact that they have 17 more books than Protestant Bibles, all of which are found in their Old Testament. The reason these books aren't a part of the Protestant canon is because they are not considered to be God inspired. Those same books are not even considered God inspired by modern Jews (decendents of the original authors of the Old Testament), whose canon also contains the books of the Protestant Old Testament.

The only picking and choosing Catholics do is within their theology.

Lilith is found in no Bible. At least no trustworthy, modern day Bible. Lilith, is a part of Jewish legend, and as I said from the story of Paradise Lost by John Milton. Read this exerpt:
quote:
To live again in these wilde Woods forlorn?
Should God create another Eve, and I
Another Rib afford, yet loss of thee
Would never from my heart; no no, I feel
The Link of Nature draw me: Flesh of Flesh,
Bone of my Bone thou art, and from thy State
Mine never shall be parted, blis or woe.

...and read this footnote by Roy Flannagan:
quote:
If he were doomed by Eve's exile or death to remain in the wild woods of Eden bereft of her. Though the woods may indeed be innocently wild ("forlorn" here retains it's Anglo-Saxon force of "'utterly abandoned," "lost" ), he would be lost without her, especially since, because she is his rib, she is part of him. As Adam sees it at this moment, he has no choice but to fall with her. After he has fallen, he will question his own choice and accuse Eve of having cause his fall. By Hindsight he will also consider the possibility of a second Eve being created, a possibility that had been cultivated in the legend of Lilith, the possible second wife for Adam (for information about Lilith, see Louis Ginsberg, Legends of the Jews, "'Lilith" )

64yrs • M •
Apocrypha - it means "hidden away". There were then common books that most of your religious leaders where aware of and then there was the Apocrypha that was not common. Realize that when these things were written there was no printing press, they were copied by hand by priests sworn into this duty. That is why these books were included in the original bibles Protestant and Catholic. It was the protestants who decided these things were not scriptural by saying that we cannot know for sure that Apocrypha is the word of God. But of course, how could they know it wasn't.

But the protestants weren't the first to do this. The Catholics did this first. Origenes Adamantius. Born 185 AD. It took him 27 years, but he put together the first bible. In his new testament he included the Shepperd of Hermes and Letters of Barnabas. The Catholic Church had them removed.

Origen was imprisoned and there they say he died. But as I stated in an earlier thread. He did not die, but was taken up with the rest of the church. That's what I believe, and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=15679-u-frmid=17

44yrs • M •
How do you explain Jehovah, Yahweh, or any other names that were changed in the catholic version of the bible then?

Misrepresentation - Page 2
  1    2    3    4    5    6  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy